HiRez Poll Moody Blues - ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Moody Blues - ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM

• Total voters
I gave it a 9. I had a glorious time hearing this refined mix unfold on my system. I've been a fan since '67 and I've heard these recordings on many formats and this 5.1 SACD is an outstanding reproduction of some all-time favorite music. In a somewhat contrary position to my other esteemed forum members I felt that the low end - in particular the bass guitar - is under-represented in this mix. This is a non-scientific observation and your mileage may vary but this is the only qualm I have about this mix. I intend to enjoy it too much!

I received this disc same time as DOFP.
Although I thought DOFP could have been much better,
it's hard for me to fault OTTOAD as it's been one of my
Moodys' favorite since I first heard it on stereo 8 track
over 30 years ago. I give it an 8 just for the sheer joy
of having it. :D

I just ordered this from Buy.com, worked out to about $10 shipped after the Google Checkout $10 discount, which requires $30 order and comes with free shipping. Price is $14.93 before discount.

Chris

This was my favorite Moody Blues album, I owned the LP for home and stereo 8-track tape for the car around 35 years ago. I had high hopes for this and it is pretty good, but it is not the album nor does it have the fidelity I had recalled. I will give it a little more time before voting, but there are hundreds of SACD titles better than this. At least the same media plays in home and auto this time. Thanks to Universal for offering this album in the US in the best possible format and as always Universal has done a fine job, I love that record company.

Chris

My issue is with the futzing done to make it 5.1, rather than leaving the pure Quad sound alone(which woulda been my choice). Other than that, most fans should enjoy it, as long as they don't remember the original 4-channel mix....:D

As for Universal, their masterings are so erratic they're beyond trusting. When it's essential and otherwise unavailable music--like the COMPLETE MOTOWN SINGLES boxes--I'll plunk down the change. But they leave a lot to be desired otherwise, IMO. Great intentions, spotty execution and sound.

ED :)

I gave it a 9. Until 1/2 speed master LP's hit, the Q8's were all I ever owned. When I first got Quad, Q8 was my format of choice. I've since reacquired my Q8 titles on Quad LP, where possible. I'll opt for a bit less seperation to get better frequency response, dynamic range and s/n ratio. In light of that criteria, I prefer the SACD's, even though the Quad mix was "futzed with." Too much n/r and compression were my complaints with every copy of these I've owned, including 2ch. I'd expect that some, though not all of that is inherent in the master tapes.

Linda
Lovely to See You

Way better than some of the other Moody Blues SACDs like Seventh Sojourn

This one may be the best of the MB 4.1 SACD lot. It's night and day on some tracks compared to the stereo versions. As a demo for friends, I like to play Lovely to See You in stereo and then play the 4.1 incarnation. They are always very impressed at the vast improvement in sound. To Our Children's Children's Children in 4.1 SACD is also a great improvement over the stereo versions. I then put on some King Crimson and then on to Porcupine Tree. Many of them have never heard of PT (uh, it's our age) but quickly become "disciples."

Gave this one a '9'.

Probably the weakest of the first 7 Moodies albums as far as songs, but I would put it in the middle as far as surround mix goes.
Now there are still plenty of great tracks on this album like 'Lovely to See You', 'Never Comes the Day', and 'Are You Sitting Comfortably' but the other albums are just THAT good! :)

One thing that I do wish would be different concerning these Moodies SACDs is that they would all have a flatter mastering than what was released. A few times while listening to this particular SACD tonight, I felt it sounded rather harsh. These aren't modern 5.1 mixes so a slightly flatter mastering might have made these releases even better.

So I got this SACD and I agree about the brightness being distracting. But not only brightness, but almost unlistenable distortion at some point. The most notible distortion as on "Send Me No Wine". The vocals distort and drop out strangely, leading me to believe I had an equipment malfunction. Especially the first two choruses. This track is a perfect example but there are other places this ugly issue rears it's head. In making sure I narrowed it to the Surround mix being the issue, I've listened to it a bazillion times at different volumes, even through headphones. The distortion is there no matter what you do. The distortion does not happen on the Stereo CD Layer. Doesn't happen on the quad 8-Track. I have to say, I prefer the 8-Track. Much fuller sound compared to this. Anyone else have the same observations?

So I got this SACD and I agree about the brightness being distracting. But not only brightness, but almost unlistenable distortion at some point. The most notible distortion as on "Send Me No Wine". The vocals distort and drop out strangely, leading me to believe I had an equipment malfunction. Especially the first two choruses. This track is a perfect example but there are other places this ugly issue rears it's head. In making sure I narrowed it to the Surround mix being the issue, I've listened to it a bazillion times at different volumes, even through headphones. The distortion is there no matter what you do. The distortion does not happen on the Stereo CD Layer. Doesn't happen on the quad 8-Track. I have to say, I prefer the 8-Track. Much fuller sound compared to this. Anyone else have the same observations?
I always turn off the Center and the Subwoofer channels whenever I play any of the Moodies sacd's. Try it...it might sound a little better.

I always turn off the Center and the Subwoofer channels whenever I play any of the Moodies sacd's. Try it...it might sound a little better.

That does something even though there isn't really any center or sub tracks?

Regarding the SACD quad layer, I have not had any problems with brightness, distortion or anything else. I hope you did not get some sort of gray-market reject.

Regarding the SACD quad layer, I have not had any problems with brightness, distortion or anything else. I hope you did not get some sort of gray-market reject.

I have to agree, I've had this disc for some time - listened to it often and never noted such issues. But, you are going to force me to dig it out and listen with this in mind and see what I hear...or don't hear. :mad:@:

TOTALLY agree. Just spun it tonight and it sounded fantastic.

I consider it somewhat of a miracle that we have these Moodies in surround and on a revealing, properly calibrated sound system I have NO complaints whatsoever regarding the immersive sound quality.

Played at a higher than normal volume these SACDs SOAR!

Maybe there is something going on in the settings of my SACD player. It's a new to me used that I just recently swapped to. I thought I had everything in order but I'll check the settings out. Anything to look for? What settings keeps bass management off?

This sounds stellar! I’m giving this a 10 - I love it! I always chuckle at the end of ‘dear diary’ - ‘somebody exploded an H Bomb, wasn’t anybody I knew’. I got the sacd from Amazon uk and the sonics are sweet to my ears...

Gave it a 9 . . . the Moody SACDs are fantastic. What a shame IN SEARCH OF THE LOST CHORD had engineers in search of the lost tapes . . . maybe sometime in my lifetime they'll surface. It's the one that DEMANDS surround, if you know what I mean, and I think you do.

In the meantime I console myself with the MFSL version, which ain't bad :smokin

Started listening on cassette those many years ago..I don't know, right before I got drafted maybe? Anyway I guess the songs may come off as simple in this day and time, but I loved each and every one.
"Dear Diary, someone exploded an H bomb today....but it wasn't anyone I knew" but "Send me no wine". You get it or don't.

The quality of this particular disc, like all the Moody quads isn't anything to rave about especially....you're either a fan or not and appreciate what you have, I guess?
I give it an 8 based on love of Moody Blues. Actually the Moody Blues were the first SACD's I bought, and I scraped to get each one and darned glad I did. :)

EDIT: I see I voted on this in 2006 and had not much to say. But I stand corrected in that in my first post I cited 8 track tape as my first listening experience, and I reckon that must be true considering the time.

Back