Show us your gear!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Space Acoustics, Germany 1982. 3 of a total of 22 pieces. There was only one golden .....
This is an improved Decoder based on the QSD-2.

IMG_1796.jpg

IMG_1803.jpg

Oh, I have a house and children!

Wow! I wonder how you get time to enjoy it! Not to mention a space- the man cave with a huge think door would be my solution, but I had to give my music up when mine were small. I made a number of attempts, even was one of the first to buy a CD player. may be it was just my wife? Hmmm, ya it was her!
If she wasn't dating like she was I bet I could have kept all my stuff. But, eventually I just could not get along with her boyfriends.
And had no time left for music. Until the kids were older/

Jeezzz! I have not updated the audio room pic since I started this thread in 2006.
Gone is the crt and the Sony amps.
I was was not active on the board till last year, for years, just lurked when I could. I was oncall 24/7 so surround was on the back burner. Worked full time at the local hospital at the same time.
I was a volunteer firefighter for for the county and ended up as Chief at Pinehaven #17.
Here's some pics of me teaching Stop Drop and Roll to one of my Navajo district schools and a selfie at a fire.
Blew my knee up getting out of my big boat (I have two boats) at the lake last April so my firefighting days are over.
Now you guyz have to put up with my posts again.

Now there are Nikko power amps and three rare Sansui SE-88's in the system.
This pic is a year old so the 981HD has been replaced with a 203.

system.jpg

scope.jpg

mantal.jpg

stopdrop.jpg

fireselfy.jpg

My new toys...the Rega Brio stereo integrated amp. I bought 3 to drive my 5.0 surround system.

View attachment 31736

View attachment 31737

Cool! I presume you are not driving a sub with one of the channels. An old engineer friend of mine told me each channel should have some kind of load (as opposed to running a stereo channel with only one speaker connected), so be sure to connect something to the open channel even if it is not active.

Anyone else know more about this?

Cool! I presume you are not driving a sub with one of the channels. An old engineer friend of mine told me each channel should have some kind of load (as opposed to running a stereo channel with only one speaker connected), so be sure to connect something to the open channel even if it is not active.

Anyone else know more about this?

The dealer told me I could run with only one speaker connected - so I hope he's right cuz that's what I'm doing.

Hi,

enjoyed browsed through this thread. Is anyone tried discreet cabling for rear speakers? -- not behind the couch or carpet over cables. Did anyone tried AC outlet conduit option? Hang ceiling (incidentally gives good sound isolation)....?

My better half suggested that I should get a 'grown-up' gear stand for the new room.

The PS3 is on the floor because of the heat it gives off. Helpful this time of year, but not good inside the stand.

Attachments

• gear2.jpg
    gear2.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 263
  • gear1.jpg
    gear1.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 268
The dealer told me I could run with only one speaker connected - so I hope he's right cuz that's what I'm doing.

OK, so I did some more research and found this thread elsewhere:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....eo-integrated-amp-on-one-channel-only.400277/

Here are a few summary quotes from their discussion:

"Never, ever leave the spkr outputs unloaded (completely disconnected) on a tube amp! This can causes small amounts of backlash current to swing backwards through the output transformer and wreak havoc on the output tubes. The results aren't pretty, usually ending in internal arcs in the output tubes and potentially severe tube and circuit damage. Again, this is highly likely in most all cases, although there are a few minor exceptions that should be ignored for the most part, regarding safe, and responsible tube amp operation."

And:

"No load on a transformer coupled output can damage the output transformer ie. vacuum tube. But (a solid state) dc/ac coupled (amp) doesn't care if its loaded or not !!!"

So FYI to anyone running a single channel from a stereo amp: solid state = OK, tube amp = not OK.

I do not profess to be an expert on this, so any clarification or discussion from those more knowledgeable than myself would be welcomed.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....eo-integrated-amp-on-one-channel-only.400277/

"Never, ever leave the spkr outputs unloaded (completely disconnected) on a tube amp! This can causes small amounts of backlash current to swing backwards through the output transformer and wreak havoc on the output tubes. The results aren't pretty, usually ending in internal arcs in the output tubes and potentially severe tube and circuit damage. Again, this is highly likely in most all cases, although there are a few minor exceptions that should be ignored for the most part, regarding safe, and responsible tube amp operation."

And:

"No load on a transformer coupled output can damage the output transformer ie. vacuum tube. But (a solid state) dc/ac coupled (amp) doesn't care if its loaded or not !!!"

So FYI to anyone running a single channel from a stereo amp: solid state = OK, tube amp = not OK.

I do not profess to be an expert on this, so any clarification or discussion from those more knowledgeable than myself would be welcomed.

Correct. They are somewhat opposites regarding load.
Solid state can be unloaded all day but killed with a momentary short or heavy load. Tube circuits need a load or the transformer will go bad (I've seen it), and maybe the outputs will be weakened or worse, however they can be overloaded into distortion but not instantly destruct.

And:

I concur! The Marantz receivers from the 70's (and others I'm sure) and before that time , if you ran an open speaker line you lost the channel Had a buddy who hurried to set his new unit up, hooked up one side turned it on and a wisp of smoke a scent of ozone and his brand new amp was off to repair. It looks like the newer stuff you can screw with it, as I have seen them do in the 2nd hand shops I frequent for music. Stick a wire in the open plug and see if it works. Drives me up a wall!

So I've added 3 pieces of gear over the last month, here's a couple of pics... and man I'm broke, this hobby sucks you in like a Dyson on a Dorito...

Oppo 203 UHD player
LG OLED B7P 65" display
Polk HTS 12" sub

170741.jpgIMG_1419.jpg

So I've added 3 pieces of gear over the last month, here's a couple of pics... and man I'm broke, this hobby sucks you in like a Dyson on a Dorito...

Oppo 203 UHD player
LG OLED B7P 65" display
Polk HTS 12" sub

View attachment 32226View attachment 32227

I've been keeping an eye on the OLED displays..especially the 77inch..and now a projected 88inch in the future...but there are still problems that need to be addressed...check this out..nice looking sub Red

I've been keeping an eye on the OLED displays..especially the 77inch..and now a projected 88inch in the future...but there are still problems that need to be addressed...check this out..nice looking sub Red

There is a DV issue with blacks, and this isn't just the LG OLED displays... the firmware update is out in Europe for the fix and soon to be here. I have nothing DV at present so not a big deal yet for me. The 65" replaces a Panni 60" plasma, and with the bigger bezel on the Panni, the foot print on the two displays is about the same. Had a price drop here to about $2150 US for the 65" so jumped in. The sub is a 12" front firing, to go with a 12" bottom firing I had...they work well together after some set up time.

Back