Ear Candy metal in surround?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not only was the shipping outrageous, but it took them over a week to process and ship my order, and another 4 weeks before I finally received my order. But again, I don't regret it; it's an excellent disc.

I do wish, however, that they would have included both the instrumental version and the "vocalized" version.

Anybody have the Saxon: Lionheart DVD-A ?

I'd like to get it but not if the 5.1 mix is terrible.

BTW I have the Dokken: Erase the Slate and DVD-A and it is easily the worst hi-rez disc I have, I mean it's not even close.

BTW I have the Dokken: Erase the Slate and DVD-A and it is easily the worst hi-rez disc I have, I mean it's not even close.

This is one I have not heard thus far. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have been working on a few metal 5.1 discs recently. A lot of fiddling around in Audacity. I have made significant improvements on Septicflesh, Manowar(Sacd to PCM) and Children Of Bodom. Manowar has some of worst drum sounds I have ever heard, but the vocals and music are great. Very discrete mix, but a lot of adjustments needed.

The Saxon DVD is not an award-winning mix. The drums are fairly compressed, but not as much as the Manowar sacd. The center channel is really low in the mix and when brought up a bit, the mix improves. The center channel contains dry kick and snare, bass and a bit of vocals. The kick and snare in the center channel seems less squashed than the drums in the other four channels. Still, too much echoey drum bleed in the rear channels for my taste. Not a DVD-A I revisted often, if ever. Your mileage may vary.

The Saxon DVD is not an award-winning mix. The drums are fairly compressed, but not as much as the Manowar sacd. The center channel is really low in the mix and when brought up a bit, the mix improves. The center channel contains dry kick and snare, bass and a bit of vocals. The kick and snare in the center channel seems less squashed than the drums in the other four channels. Still, too much echoey drum bleed in the rear channels for my taste. Not a DVD-A I revisted often, if ever. Your mileage may vary.

Manowar SACD is not compressed. The drums sound horrific on some songs, but it is pretty quiet.

Manowar SACD is not compressed. The drums sound horrific on some songs, but it is pretty quiet.

I have to disagree. The only part of the drumset that has any sort of punch is the kick drum. The rest of the kit has no dynamics at all.

I have to disagree. The only part of the drumset that has any sort of punch is the kick drum. The rest of the kit has no dynamics at all.

The drum sound is terrible, yes but it is not a loud, compressed mess. It is merely just a mess :D

I have worked hard on that album, with the PCM files in Audacity. The vocals are outstanding.

I have the Katatonia disc. Great Cold Distance? I'll have to spin it soon. Mrs. B and I have enjoyed in Bagginsquad (faux auto). It's heavy and dense, but doesn't have piercing frequencies that Mrs. B tends to tire of.
She calls it warm, relaxing metal. :)

Summon - Fallen
The internet moves in mysterious ways and I've just happened to bump into this release (and band) I knew nothing about. Released in 2005, this is a CD+DVD-V combo (at least the initial 5000 copies) with Dolby Digital and reportedly dts 5.1 mixes of the whole album. That's enough info for me to place order with WOW HD, €9,15 shipped. Anyone here familiar with this band/album?
uQsy5H3.jpg

I dunno if we have a thread fot this, but i found this list of metal in surround

After Forever - Remagine (SACD)
Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies (DVD-A)
Arch Enemy - Anthems of Rebellion (three tracks only) (DVD-V AC3)
At the Gates - At War with Reality (DVD-V DTS)
Ayreon - Actual Fantasy (DVD-V AC3)
Between The Buried And Me - The Great Misdirect (DVD-V AC3)
Corrosion of Conformity - America's Volume Dealer
Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon (DVD-A)
Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos (DVD-V AC3)
Dream Theater - Dream Theater (DVD-A)
Edguy - Hellfire Club (DVD-A)
Epica - Consign to Oblivion (SACD)
Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon (DVD-V DTS)
HammerFall - Crimson Thunder (DVD-A)
HammerFall - Chapter V: Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken (DVD-A)
Iron Maiden - Dance of Death (DVD-A)
Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance (4.0 mix) (DVD-A)
Katatonia - Dead End Kings (DVD-A)
Katatonia - The Fall Of Hearts (DVD-V DTS)
Kreator - Enemy Of God (DVD-V DTS)
Lacuna Coil - Karmacode (DVD-V DTS)
Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake (DVD-V AC3)
Mastodon - Leviathan (only three tracks) (DVD-V AC3)
Megadeth - Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? (DVD-A)
Metallica - Metallica (DVD-A)
Metallica - The Videos 1989-2004 (DVD-V AC3)
Manowar - Warriors Of The World (SACD)
Ministry - Animositisomina (DVD-A)
Motörhead - Overkill (DVD-A)
Motörhead - Ace of Spades (DVD-A)
Motörhead - Deaf Forever (DVD-A)
Nightwish - Once (DVD-A)
Nightwish - Dark Passion Play (DVD-A)
The Ocean - Pelagial (Instrumental version only) (DVD-V DTS)
Opeth* - Still Life (5.0 mix) (DVD-V DTS)
Opeth - Deliverance and Damnation (DVD-A)
Opeth - Blackwater Park (5.0 mix) (DVD-V DTS)
Opeth - Ghost Reveries (DVD-V DTS)
Opeth - Watershed (5.0 mix) (DVD-V DTS)
Pig Destroyer - Natasha (DVD-A)
Porcupine Tree** - In Absentia (DVD-A)
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing (DVD-A)
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet (DVD-A)
Porcupine Tree - Nil Recurring (DVD-A)
Porcupine Tree - The Incident (DVD-A)
Queensrÿche - Empire (DVD-A)
Septicflesh - The Great Mass (DVD-V AC3)
Summon - Fallen (5.0 mix) (DVD-V DTS)
Symphony X - Paradise Lost (5.0 mix) (DVD-V AC3)

Back