Ear Candy metal in surround?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CarcPazu said:
I thought about getting this one. I think you convinced me.
But I'm more a Black Sabbath fan. I wish they would make Black Sabbath, Paranoid and Master of Reality in surround. That would be a must buy.

CarcPazu

I think Paranoid was released as either a CD-4 quad album, or on a Q4 reel. It might have even been both.

I know there was an original quad release of it.

Last edited:
Disturbed "Believe" on DVD-A might be another one to consider. I have it but haven't played it in a while since I have just too many other discs to play but I thought the mix was ok and album good when I did play it.

Chris

Cai Campbell said:
Here's another clue for you all...

Motorhead - "Ace of Spades" DVD-A

"Remixed for surround from original multi-track recording session tapes"

Is this from Silverline/Sanctuary? YES
Is the blurb true? YES!
Is the fidelity and surround mix any good? YES!!

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. The unbelievable becomes belieavable with this hard-hitting discrete release from the perpetual no-hitter label. A metal masterpiece in spectacular surround. Miracles do happen!!!

Boo-yah. :smokin

Well I've just received this disc and, much to my surprise, it's un-horrible. Silverline have a poor rep but I thought I'd take the chance, as I love Lemmy & the boys, and this is surprisingly good. The songs were as good (but only in a Motorhead sort of way!!) as I remembered and, while no sonic masterpiece, the mix is quite good

I also picked up Deep Purple Live @ the BBC - mostly good but the 20 min space truckin' does drag a bit (as an aside this sort of elongated jam - epitomised in Led Zeppelin's the Song Remains the Same - is supposedly the impetus for some of the punk nhilism, cut the crap and give me a 4 minute up-tempo assault rather than a 15 minute dirge of endless solos. I tend to straddle the fence liking some of the classic 70's mega rock but also appreciating the directness of The Clash et al)

Other Rock (though maybe not Metal) disc to consider include:

3 Doors Down - Away From The sun
Linkin Park - Reanimation
Deep Purple - Machine Head

Cheers

Martin

I will definitely recommend "Deadwing" as well now that I have heard it. Probably not as heavy as "In Absentia" but similar. These guys are accomplished artistic rockers.

Chris

Muchas gracias for the continued flow of suggestions -- a lot of titles available on Multi-channel and high-res that I wasn't aware of (and if I wasn't aware of, there's probably someone else out there that wasn't aware of it, neither).

This is probably a stretch but Ryan Adams' Rock'n'Roll is a kicking album - not metal - but good rock. Surround mix isn't great but the songs are fantastic

Cheers

Martin

Last month I got the latest Opeth album "Ghost Reveries" Special Edition wich contains a DD and DTS mix of the album.
I totaly recommend it. I love the mix, I won't listen to the stereo album anymore. Go get it, and it's cheap. Fans of Porcupine Tree and progressive metal will surely love it, if they aren't too concerned about extreme death metal growls.

But I'm working myself on an Experimental Death Metal album to be released in surround only. I've been working on this for a year. Should be out this summer 06.

:D CarcPazu :D

BTW, I'm way late on this project, but I'm still working on it heavily. I hope to release it somewhere in spring 2007. I'll post over here when it's done and available on my website.

CarcPazu

One not mentioned here is Corrosion of Conformity - America's Volume Dealer in DVD-A. It is a simple 5.1 mix but suits the music. It is a Silverline title, but not fake surround. Versions of the songs differ from the CD as well. Avoid the Live Volume DVD-A, they have the tape speeded up.

It has been some time since anyone made any more posts... I guess you missed TOOL and last but not least Dream Theater. DT has played Metalica, Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd and many others... You will hear in in there latest DVD "Score" which is in 5.1.

I prefer Qsound over Dolby since you can only hear multi-channel stereo why separate sound and colorize it. Qsound is the only 3D audio that works too good purely in an Analog format and can decode Dolby not DTS in raw form. It was developed back in the early 90's. Quad Qsound is the max I use and no need for a center or surround speakers.

Note: does anyone remember back in the late 80's... Speakers were labeled Digital Ready, what a joke! Why pay $$$ for digital when you cannot hear a 1 ms glitch. Our hearing works simular to sight... we do not hear in real time. Digital is just a ploy to get your money.

I'll put another vote in for the aformentioned Opeth 5.1 version of Ghost Reveries. While the growling (not throughout the album) is a tad off-putting, the guitar work and the soundscapes overall here are really interesting. Given that you can find this cheap, I'd suggest picking it up.

Bump!

I recently bought Katatonia's "The Great Cold Distance" (the new version: CD + DVD-A) and I must say it sounds superb.

Jens Bogren did some very nice things with the surround mix (not unlike Ghost Reveries which was fucked up IMO).

Fans of Katatonia or metal in general: get this album! Good music and good sound quality.

Fans of Katatonia or metal in general: get this album! Good music and good sound quality.

Second'd.
The mix could have been more aggressive still, but it's pretty decent. If you don't have TGCD yet, you should definitely get it. If you do, it'll depend on your wallet >.>

revive an old thread.
I discovered that besides Once, there exists another Nightwish DVD-A :eek:
It is the post-Tarja "Dark Passion Play", the mix places the band (incl. vocals) in stereo and the orchestra in the surrounds and center. The result is quite nice.

Although the webshop suggests it is DD5.1 (only), it has a DVD-A part in 24b/48kHz 5.1.

From info gathered in this thread, and a few others, I came up with a master list of what has been released metal-wise over the years. There are some I didn't include here (Porcupine Tree, Nine Inch Nails, Stone Temple Pilots, etc...) as they are not "metal" bands, even though there is a level of aggression....anyway, the line is thin...

After Forever - Remagine (sacd)
Biohazard - Uncivilization (dvd-a)
Black Sabbath - Paranoid (dvd-v)
Bruce Dickinson - Balls to Picasso (dvd-a)
C.O.C. - America's Volume Dealer, Live Volume (dvd-a)
Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armaggeddon (dvd-a)
Disturbed - Believe (dvd-a)
Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos (dvd-v)
Edguy - Hellfire Club (dvd-a)
Hammerfall - Crimson Thunder, Chapter V Unbent Unbowed Unbroken (dvd-a)
Ian Gillan - Gillan's Inn (dualdisc)
Iron Maiden - Dance of Death (dvd-a)
Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance (dvd-a)
Kreator - Enemy of God (dvd-v)
Lacuna Coil - Karmacode (dvd-a)
Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake (dualdisc)
Manowar - Warriors of the World United (sacd), The Sons of Odin (dvd-v)
Megadeth - Peace Sells...But Who's Buying? (dvd-a)
Metallica - Black Album (dvd-a)
Motörhead - Ace of Spades, Overkill, Deaf Forever (dvd-a)
Nightwish - Once, Dark Passion Play (dvd-a)
Opeth - Still Life, Blackwater Park, Ghost Reveries, Watershed, Heritage (dvd-v)
Queensryche - Empire, Tribe (dvd-a)
Saxon - Lionheart (dvd-a)
Slaughter - Then and Now (dvd-a)
Star One - Victims of the Modern Age (dvd-v)
Tesla - Standing Room Only (dvd-a)

Last edited:
Back