Ear Candy metal in surround?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, Its a DVD-V and only dolby digital which sucks but:

"Metallica - The Videos" is in 5.1 and just havind "One" in 5.1 makes buying this a must... oh my good is the mix on "One" good.... Wish they would realize that Metallicas first 4 albums benefit so much from MCH and in Hi-REz like the Black Album (which is very good, but tracks like, The Call of Kthulu, To Live it to Die, One, etc)

From info gathered in this thread, and a few others, I came up with a master list of what has been released metal-wise over the years. There are some I didn't include here (Porcupine Tree, Nine Inch Nails, Stone Temple Pilots, etc...) as they are not "metal" bands, even though there is a level of aggression....anyway, the line is thin...

After Forever - Remagine (sacd)
Biohazard - Uncivilization (dvd-a)
Black Sabbath - Paranoid (dvd-v)
Bruce Dickinson - Balls to Picasso (dvd-a)
C.O.C. - America's Volume Dealer, Live Volume (dvd-a)
Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armaggeddon (dvd-a)
Disturbed - Believe (dvd-a)
Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos (dvd-v)
Edguy - Hellfire Club (dvd-a)
Hammerfall - Crimson Thunder, Chapter V Unbent Unbowed Unbroken (dvd-a)
Ian Gillan - Gillan's Inn (dualdisc)
Iron Maiden - Dance of Death (dvd-a)
Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance (dvd-a)
Kreator - Enemy of God (dvd-v)
Lacuna Coil - Karmacode (dvd-a)
Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake (dualdisc)
Manowar - Warriors of the World United (sacd), The Sons of Odin (dvd-v)
Megadeth - Peace Sells...But Who's Buying? (dvd-a)
Metallica - Black Album (dvd-a)
Motörhead - Ace of Spades, Overkill, Deaf Forever (dvd-a)
Nightwish - Once, Dark Passion Play (dvd-a)
Opeth - Still Life, Blackwater Park, Ghost Reveries, Watershed, Heritage (dvd-v)
Queensryche - Empire, Tribe (dvd-a)
Saxon - Lionheart (dvd-a)
Slaughter - Then and Now (dvd-a)
Star One - Victims of the Modern Age (dvd-v)
Tesla - Standing Room Only (dvd-a)

Thanks for that list. I need ALL of these! Do you have any you would particularly recommend?

I'll put another vote in for the aformentioned Opeth 5.1 version of Ghost Reveries. While the growling (not throughout the album) is a tad off-putting, the guitar work and the soundscapes overall here are really interesting. Given that you can find this cheap, I'd suggest picking it up.

The growling on that album is immense; the best growls ever recorded!

The best sounding ones on list:

Dream Theater and 2 Nightwish,Opeth-Heritage and Metallica.

I have the Saxon on order so will comment on that one soon(should arrive in next 2 weeks), its pretty cheap from amazon.uk so thought was worth a risk.

Thanks for that list. I need ALL of these! Do you have any you would particularly recommend?

Of Beelz's list I would recommend:

Hammerfall - Crimson Thunder (dvd-a),
Manowar - Warriors of the World United (sacd),
Metallica - Black Album (dvd-a),
Motörhead - Ace of Spades (dvd-a),
Queensryche - Empire (dvd-a).

I'm sure there are other worthy mixes in that list (I've heard good things about the likes of Katatonia, Nightwish, Opeth) but I've not heard them or got them yet.. I've heard most of the others and they aren't much cop sadly.

I have COC 'America's Volume Dealer' and while the sound quality is decent, it's just a typical Silverline unwrap/upmix job. While not their best album (Wiseblood is my favourite of theirs) it's still a pretty good listen. You can generally still get this one very cheaply (I think I paid $4 or something) if you look around.

As far as 'Live Volume' goes, I'm repeating second-hand information here, but apparently they sped up the pitch of this one to fit the whole concert on one disc. There's a DVD-V of this concert (with what I would assume is the same 5.1 mix) in Dolby Digital which apparently runs at the right speed.

Of Beelz's list I would recommend:

Hammerfall - Crimson Thunder (dvd-a),
Manowar - Warriors of the World United (sacd),
Metallica - Black Album (dvd-a),
Motörhead - Ace of Spades (dvd-a),
Queensryche - Empire (dvd-a).

I'm sure there are other worthy mixes in that list (I've heard good things about the likes of Katatonia, Nightwish, Opeth) but I've not heard them or got them yet.. I've heard most of the others and they aren't much cop sadly.

i'd love to have Empire...but man it's a costly little devil!

i'd love to have Empire...but man it's a costly little devil!

3 used copies on Amazon.com for <$50 and one like new on eBay for $54.99 (from Micksmuse, great guy) at the mo., not cheap but I doubt you'll get much better than that at this stage of the game unless you hold out til you find it out in the wild or someone here or on SHF happens to be flogging one off one day :)

3 used copies on Amazon.com for <$50 and one like new on eBay for $54.99 (from Micksmuse, great guy) at the mo., not cheap but I doubt you'll get much better than that at this stage of the game unless you hold out til you find it out in the wild or someone here or on SHF happens to be flogging one off one day :)

thanks...yeah..i've bought from micksmuse before..his stuff is usually in pristine condition. holding out for less $$ but haven't looked recently...will go give amazon a looksee!

Since the revival of this thread, I realized the list wasn`t up to date, so here it is again! If you have suggesions or corrections, please reply! :)

After Forever - Remagine (sacd)
Biohazard - Uncivilization (dvd-a)
Black Sabbath - Paranoid (dvd-v)
Bruce Dickinson - Balls to Picasso (dvd-a)
C.O.C. - America's Volume Dealer, Live Volume (dvd-a)
Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armaggeddon (dvd-a)
Disturbed - Believe (dvd-a)
Dokken - Erase the Slate (dvd-a)
Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos (dvd-v)
Edguy - Hellfire Club (dvd-a)
Epica – Consign to Oblivion, The Score (An Epic Journey) (sacd)
Hammerfall - Crimson Thunder, Chapter V Unbent Unbowed Unbroken (dvd-a)
Ian Gillan - Gillan's Inn (dualdisc)
Iron Maiden - Dance of Death (dvd-a)
Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance, Dead End Kings, Dethroned & Uncrowned (dvd-a)
Kreator - Enemy of God (dvd-v)
Lacuna Coil - Karmacode (dvd-v, from the "Visual Karma" box set)
Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake (dualdisc)
Manowar - Warriors of the World United (sacd), The Sons of Odin (dvd-v)
Megadeth - Peace Sells...But Who's Buying? (dvd-a)
Metallica - Black Album (dvd-a)
Ministry - Animositisomina (dvd-a)
Motörhead - Ace of Spades, Overkill, Deaf Forever (dvd-a)
Nightwish - Once, Dark Passion Play (dvd-a), From Wishes to Eternity (sacd)
Opeth - Still Life, Blackwater Park, Ghost Reveries, Watershed, Heritage (dvd-v), Pale Communion (blu-ray)
Queensryche - Empire, Tribe (dvd-a)
Saxon - Lionheart (dvd-a)
Septic Flesh - The Great Mass (dvd-v)
Slaughter - Then and Now (dvd-a)
Soundgarden - Superunknown (blu-ray)
Star One - Victims of the Modern Age (dvd-v)
Symphony X – Paradise Lost (dvd-v)
Tesla - Standing Room Only (dvd-a)

Other than what has already been suggested, I kinda like the "Star One - Victims of the Modern Age (dvd-v)" if you like good power metal, check it out. It`s only dolby digital, though...
If you like it more extreme, there`s the Septic Flesh one that diserves a listen or two!

Other than what has already been suggested, I kinda like the "Star One - Victims of the Modern Age (dvd-v)" if you like good power metal, check it out. It`s only dolby digital, though...
If you like it more extreme, there`s the Septic Flesh one that diserves a listen or two!

I listened to the Septic Flesh one on youtube; extreme yes indeed :}, sounds like a dense production. Does it work well in 5.1? The lead growls on the stereo version sound muffled.

Back