Ear Candy metal in surround?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I listened to the Septic Flesh one on youtube; extreme yes indeed :}, sounds like a dense production. Does it work well in 5.1? The lead growls on the stereo version sound muffled.

The mix varies from song to song. Some are all up front while others have better separation. The backs are mainly keyboards. The vocals come out clear, though. For this kind of music, I think the mix is nicely done.

thanks! Added Brides of Destruction, and the Dream Theater s/t (edit: and Iced Earth, thanks!)

After Forever - Remagine (sacd)
Biohazard - Uncivilization (dvd-a)
Black Sabbath - Paranoid (dvd-v)
Brides of Destruction - Here Come the Brides (dvd-a)
Bruce Dickinson - Balls to Picasso (dvd-a)
C.O.C. - America's Volume Dealer, Live Volume (dvd-a)
Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armaggeddon (dvd-a)
Disturbed - Believe (dvd-a)
Dokken - Erase the Slate (dvd-a)
Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos (dvd-v), Dream Theater (dvd-a)
Edguy - Hellfire Club (dvd-a)
Epica – Consign to Oblivion, The Score (An Epic Journey) (sacd)
Hammerfall - Crimson Thunder, Chapter V Unbent Unbowed Unbroken (dvd-a)
Ian Gillan - Gillan's Inn (dualdisc)
Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon (dvd-v)
Iron Maiden - Dance of Death (dvd-a)
Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance, Dead End Kings, Dethroned & Uncrowned (dvd-a)
Kreator - Enemy of God (dvd-v)
Lacuna Coil - Karmacode (dvd-v, from the "Visual Karma" box set)
Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake (dualdisc)
Manowar - Warriors of the World United (sacd), The Sons of Odin (dvd-v)
Megadeth - Peace Sells...But Who's Buying? (dvd-a)
Metallica - Black Album (dvd-a)
Ministry - Animositisomina (dvd-a)
Motörhead - Ace of Spades, Overkill, Deaf Forever (dvd-a)
Nightwish - Once, Dark Passion Play (dvd-a), From Wishes to Eternity (sacd)
Opeth - Still Life, Blackwater Park, Ghost Reveries, Watershed, Heritage (dvd-v), Pale Communion (blu-ray)
Queensryche - Empire, Tribe (dvd-a)
Saxon - Lionheart (dvd-a)
Septic Flesh - The Great Mass (dvd-v)
Slaughter - Then and Now (dvd-a)
Soundgarden - Superunknown (blu-ray)
Star One - Victims of the Modern Age (dvd-v)
Symphony X – Paradise Lost (dvd-v)
Tesla - Standing Room Only (dvd-a)

Last edited:
Manowar Warriors SACD is very good. I just wish the lead vocals would of been about 2-3 db louder in the center. Absolutely phenomenal vocals but a bit too low!

i love Dream Theater s/t...imo sounds awesome. might have to check out the Soundgarden blu you listed...thanks for the list :)

another one i love..don't see it on list...Within Temptation Black Symphony bluray

i love Dream Theater s/t...imo sounds awesome. might have to check out the Soundgarden blu you listed...thanks for the list :)

another one i love..don't see it on list...Within Temptation Black Symphony bluray

The Within Temptation is live right?

The Within Temptation is live right?

yes...and it's stunning!

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Symphon...words=within+temptation+black+symphony+bluray

image.jpg

Yes, Within Temptation is a great one. But the list is for audio only titles, even though some live videos have a good 5.1 mix, instead of the usual reverb and audience in the backs.
Another good example of this is The Gathering's A Sound Relief. A fantastic 5.1 mix of a great live performance. You should definately check it out!

Yes, Within Temptation is a great one. But the list is for audio only titles, even though some live videos have a good 5.1 mix, instead of the usual reverb and audience in the backs.
Another good example of this is The Gathering's A Sound Relief. A fantastic 5.1 mix of a great live performance. You should definately check it out!

DVD only?

WT have a DVD A which is apparently very poor? Damn shame. Epica, Kamelot, Within Temptation are all perfect for 5.1 because they use the full 48 tracks full of music. Multiple overdubs, orchestrations etc; 2.0 does not that sort of music justice.

DVD only?

Yes, It came out in 2005. It is 16:9, but I doubt it was filmed in HD. But great dts sound.
Their other dvd "A Noise Severe" is rather disapointing. It is 16:9 in a 4:3 frame, so you have to zoom in to get a full 16:9 frame. The 5.1 mix is very bad and is only dolby digital

A younger co-worker sent me this link today because I have heard of Opeth, he is off to Slovenia to see them on July 21. Of course I only know of the group because of QQ, anyway here is the link.

http://www.metalinsider.net/geeking-out/must-own-metal-5-1-surround-sound-albums

Thanks for the link. Interesting read.

-So, Porcupine Tree, already stated: not a metal band

-Opeth, check

-Mastodon - Leviathan: Ok, even if it's just 3 songs. I'll add it with this mention. and I should do the same for Iced Earth (which I just ordered!) and warn that i's not the complete album in 5.1

-Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come: Not familiar with this band: Anyone can vouch for 'em? Is it metal or punk?

-Pig Destroyer - Natasha: by the description, I expect a more industrial vibe from this, which for me isn't metal. But, I'll try youtube to catch a glimpse of it before judging. It does seem that the dvd-a with the 5.1 is only included in the deluxe "Terrifyer" and not on the Natasha single.

I'll update the list afterwards. I don't want to jam this thread with the master list every 2-3 posts!
I'll also add:
-Chevelle - This Type of Thinking (Could Do Us In) - dualdisc (dolby digital)
-Paradise Lost - Draconian Times - dvd-v (dts, dd)

How about..?

Mudvayne - The End Of All Things To Come (DualDisc; 5.1 Dolby Digital DVD-V).

Yeah, sure. Didn't know about this one.

I also found there's another Ministry: Sphinctour. Which brings me to Pig Destroyer, which I caught on youtube and thought that the heavy bits diserve its presence. Guess I'll add it since there will be 2 ministry albums on the list. But I don't want to diverge too much and addd the Nine inch nails...
I'll also stay clear of Refused. It's clearly punk. Well executed and quite crafty at times, but still punk!

I also found there's another Ministry: Sphinctour. Which brings me to Pig Destroyer, which I caught on youtube and thought that the heavy bits diserve its presence. Guess I'll add it since there will be 2 ministry albums on the list. But I don't want to diverge too much and addd the Nine inch nails...
I'll also stay clear of Refused. It's clearly punk. Well executed and quite crafty at times, but still punk!

RE: Ministry Sphinctour - that didn't do anything for me. YMMV....

I quite like the Pig Destroyer DVD-A...

Refused? Please elaborate; I have never heard of that one.

Back