Ear Candy metal in surround?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come. It was mentioned in the article linked at the bottom of page 3

I've only given the DVD-A one quick spin so far.. but I just could not get into the music. I'll definitely try again in time though to give it a fair crack of the whip.

Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come. It was mentioned in the article linked at the bottom of page 3

I have added this to my Amazon basket; what do you think of the 5.1 mix?

Here's a new updated list, added 5-6 titles listed above, and Children of Bodom, which I saw in the polls! Please help if you know some more!

After Forever - Remagine (sacd)
Biohazard - Uncivilization (dvd-a)
Black Sabbath - Paranoid (dvd-v)
Brides of Destruction - Here Come the Brides (dvd-a)
Bruce Dickinson - Balls to Picasso (dvd-a)
Chevelle - This Type of Thinking (Could Do Us In) (dualdisc)
Children of Bodom - Blooddrunk (dvd-v)
C.O.C. - America's Volume Dealer, Live Volume (dvd-a)
Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armaggeddon (dvd-a)
Disturbed - Believe (dvd-a)
Dokken - Erase the Slate (dvd-a)
Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos (dvd-v), Dream Theater (dvd-a)
Edguy - Hellfire Club (dvd-a)
Epica – Consign to Oblivion, The Score (An Epic Journey) (sacd)
Hammerfall - Crimson Thunder, Chapter V Unbent Unbowed Unbroken (dvd-a)
Ian Gillan - Gillan's Inn (dualdisc)
Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon (dvd-v, 6 first songs only)
Iron Maiden - Dance of Death (dvd-a)
Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance, Dead End Kings, Dethroned & Uncrowned (dvd-a)
Kreator - Enemy of God (dvd-v)
Lacuna Coil - Karmacode (dvd-v, from the "Visual Karma" box set)
Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake (dualdisc)
Mastodon - Leviathan (dvd-v, last 3 songs only)
Manowar - Warriors of the World United (sacd), The Sons of Odin (dvd-v)
Megadeth - Peace Sells...But Who's Buying? (dvd-a)
Metallica - Black Album (dvd-a)
Ministry - Animositisomina, Sphinctour (dvd-a)
Motörhead - Ace of Spades, Overkill, Deaf Forever (dvd-a)
Mudvayne - The End Of All Things To Come (dualdisc)
Nightwish - Once, Dark Passion Play (dvd-a), From Wishes to Eternity (sacd)
Paradise Lost - Draconian Times (dvd-v)
Opeth - Still Life, Blackwater Park, Ghost Reveries, Watershed, Heritage (dvd-v), Pale Communion (blu-ray)
Pig Destroyer - Terrifyer (dvd-a, 1 song "Natasha")
Queensryche - Empire, Tribe (dvd-a)
Saxon - Lionheart (dvd-a)
Septic Flesh - The Great Mass (dvd-v)
Slaughter - Then and Now (dvd-a)
Soundgarden - Superunknown (blu-ray)
Star One - Victims of the Modern Age (dvd-v)
Symphony X – Paradise Lost (dvd-v)
Tesla - Standing Room Only (dvd-a)

Everybody needs to check this one out!!!!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Great-M...372&sr=8-6&keywords=between+the+buried+and+me

Prog metal. Insane! Absolutely steller 5.1 mixes, as good as anything Steven Wilson as ever done. Shame it is just DD. The music is dream theater meets opeth meets steven wilson meets symphony X. Brilliant musicianship. I would pay £20 for a lossless version of this album.

Yes, I love this disc.
Great music and good surround mix.
Poor DD sound, but better than nothing :).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Great-M...372&sr=8-6&keywords=between+the+buried+and+me

Prog metal. Insane! Absolutely steller 5.1 mixes, as good as anything Steven Wilson as ever done. Shame it is just DD. The music is dream theater meets opeth meets steven wilson meets symphony X. Brilliant musicianship. I would pay £20 for a lossless version of this album.

your description sounds very intriguing! will check it out... thanks!

thanks! yes i normally check out what i can before diving in..tho not always! 2 words you pointed out will keep me from jumping blindly...screaming and jazzy...

thanks! yes i normally check out what i can before diving in..tho not always! 2 words you pointed out will keep me from jumping blindly...screaming and jazzy...

The music is very complex, check it out.

So good to read this. I really like this album, but didn't know about the surround mix. I need to check it out!

By the way, there's another album in a similar style with a (very good) 5.1 mix. The Ocean - Pelagial. Another fine piece of forward-thinking metal, I like it even better than BTBAM's album. I've been a long time fan of this band, and this release may be their best yet. It's an interesting concept. 53 min of non-stopping music that pretends to be a trip from the sea's surface to the deepest abyss, and at the same time an allegory of the human psyque. So the first tracks are light, soft and airy, and it gradually becomes heavier and darker, almost suffocating, towards the end of the album.

Looking pretentious already? Well, there's more to come. The band decided to create a film for the whole album, like a 53 min videoclip, and the soundtrack it's... a 5.1 DTS mix of the album itself :). It's mixed by Jens Bogren. Yeah, we know this man released some poor mixes in the past but he has drastically improved. It's very, very good, easily his best yet and I'd say close to Steven Wilson excellence.

The album was originally conceived to be instrumental, and that's the version used for the surround mix. But later they decided to add some vocals as well. So the edition comes with 2 CD (one with vocals and another without them) and the DVD with the film and surround mix. It's expensive, but I think it's worth it. Looks like this:

a40c.jpg

This was my favourite album of 2013. I thought Steven Wilson's "The Raven..." was perfect until I heard Pelagial that year :)

So good to read this. I really like this album, but didn't know about the surround mix. I need to check it out!

By the way, there's another album in a similar style with a (very good) 5.1 mix. The Ocean - Pelagial. Another fine piece of forward-thinking metal, I like it even better than BTBAM's album. I've been a long time fan of this band, and this release may be their best yet. It's an interesting concept. 53 min of non-stopping music that pretends to be a trip from the sea's surface to the deepest abyss, and at the same time an allegory of the human psyque. So the first tracks are light, soft and airy, and it gradually becomes heavier and darker, almost suffocating, towards the end of the album.

Looking pretentious already? Well, there's more to come. The band decided to create a film for the whole album, like a 53 min videoclip, and the soundtrack it's... a 5.1 DTS mix of the album itself :). It's mixed by Jens Bogren. Yeah, we know this man released some poor mixes in the past but he has drastically improved. It's very, very good, easily his best yet and I'd say close to Steven Wilson excellence.

The album was originally conceived to be instrumental, and that's the version used for the surround mix. But later they decided to add some vocals as well. So the edition comes with 2 CD (one with vocals and another without them) and the DVD with the film and surround mix. It's expensive, but I think it's worth it. Looks like this:

View attachment 16263

This was my favourite album of 2013. I thought Steven Wilson's "The Raven..." was perfect until I heard Pelagial that year :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pelagial-Th...1414091792&sr=8-1&keywords=the+ocean+pelagial

View attachment 16263

Jens has had the opportunity to mix some of the greatest music I have ever heard, unfortunately. I hold some disdain for the guy for the wasted opportunities that have been bestowed upon him. I presume the ocean DTS DVD is compressed to hell? He tends to compress the hell out of the fronts.

I presume the ocean DTS DVD is compressed to hell? He tends to compress the hell out of the fronts.

I was very surprised to prove it's less compressed than his other mixes. It's really crankeable! Nice dynamics and the volume is not higher than the latest Opeth album or SW's The Raven, just to show a quick comparison.

The CD is a lot louder, though. But who cares? As I only use the CD for the car, it might even be better this way.

By the way, be careful with that Amazon link. I'm afraid it's the edition containing only the two CD: vocal and instrumental. No DVD, I think. I had to pay more than 40 € for my edition, and as far as I know it cannot be ordered outside The Ocean's web shop.

I was very surprised to prove it's less compressed than his other mixes. It's really crankeable! Nice dynamics and the volume is not higher than the latest Opeth album or SW's The Raven, just to show a quick comparison.

The CD is a lot louder, though. But who cares? As I only use the CD for the car, it might even be better this way.

It's about time he learnt that anyone listening has a volume knob ad can make it loud themselves!

Now if he could go back and remix Opeth Ghost Reveries, Still Life and Paradise Lost's Draconian times I would be happy. Opeth GS is disgrace I tell thee.

Back