HiRez Poll Depeche Mode - VIOLATOR [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Depeche Mode - VIOLATOR

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Bitstream, since I want to have the option to let the receiver do the decoding. Might this affect the DSD output?

The Oppo should do a better job of decoding than most AVR's. Maybe try it on LPCM and see what you think?

With LPCM, DSD conversion will be done in the Oppo, the BDP will report back to the AVR (via HDMI) with an 88k PCM signal for SA-CD and 44/48/96/192k PCM for whatever flavour of DVD-A/V you're playing.

Last edited:
Er, because that is the whole point of the 83SE - the improved and separate audio board, and if you read the manual using the analogue outs is recommended.....

Yep - I was being sarcastic- of course I use DSD via analog outs...

Yep - I was being sarcastic- of course I use DSD via analog outs...

Phew.
Sorry I doubted you there, old boy - but I have so many emails from people over some of the DVDA we have done you woukld literally cry if you could read them.....here's some examples (no names)
1 - I want to return this CD/DVDA because I cannot play the DVD on my CD player
2 - The packaging says 5.1 but I can only get stereo - what's wrong? (It turned out the player was connected to amplifier with Red/White RCA Phono plugs, and he thought that 5.1 would somehow just happen automatically)
3 - I cannot play the DTS stream, as all I get is white noise. (we know the answer here - yep, no DTS decoder in the player or amplifier)
I could go on......and all those above are genuine.....seriously.

Mr Fredblue - I think you know the answer.... why would I have a 83SE and then output PCM via analog ;)..

I will try via PCM, but I'm not giving it much hope...

OK - I gave it a try via PCM output - and no difference. It recognises it as a sacd, but it doesn't play. It makes a couple of noises when you hit play but thats it...

Sounds to me as if you have a duff copy, sadly.
You can be partially reassured in the knowledge that the DTS-DVD actually sounds better than the SACD, although this is no compensation if you paid a high price for this.....

Sounds to me as if you have a duff copy, sadly.
You can be partially reassured in the knowledge that the DTS-DVD actually sounds better than the SACD, although this is no compensation if you paid a high price for this.....

I paid regular retail for it when it came out...(y) and yes - I've been listening to the DTS..

Neil do you have this on SACD? I know you prefer the DTS, but it would be interesting to see if you have the same issue (as you have the same player as me - 83SE right)? uffeolby also had the same issue...

I paid regular retail for it when it came out...(y) and yes - I've been listening to the DTS..

Neil do you have this on SACD? I know you prefer the DTS, but it would be interesting to see if you have the same issue (as you have the same player as me - 83SE right)? uffeolby also had the same issue...

sorry to (V.momentarily) go OT.. but that Maceo Parker SACD in your avatar, LK is pretty bloody FAB isn't it..?!? :D

For me this is pretty much a perfect album. The fidelity is top-notch and the mix is very well done. The songs are wonderful; one mini-masterpiece after another. The only exception is "Clean"; the last song; imo they could have left it off. But I don't have to play it...so Violator gets a big 10 from me.

For me this is pretty much a perfect album. The fidelity is top-notch and the mix is very well done. The songs are wonderful; one mini-masterpiece after another. The only exception is "Clean"; the last song; imo they could have left it off. But I don't have to play it...so Violator gets a big 10 from me.

If you have the SACD/DVD-V set of Playing The Angel, you will find an acoustic version of Clean on the DVD-V which is absolutely beautiful. You can find it for cheap if you don't already have it. I personally like both versions a lot.

Ow, as an owner of all the depeche mode sacds and DTS DVD's I can say "clean" from Violator is one of my favs.

Ow, as an owner of all the depeche mode sacds and DTS DVD's I can say "clean" from Violator is one of my favs.

The quality of Clean fidelity-wise and mix-wise is great and in keeping with the rest of the album. I just find it too depressing as the final song of an album which is otherwise upbeat. It brings me down when I don't want to be brought down.

I voted a 10 ten some time ago apparently. Being one of my all-time favourite albums and basically the release that made me buy a surround-system back in 2006, these days I have a hard time justifying that vote. The content is a clear 10. To me this is the perfect definition of dark-tinged synth-pop.

The surround mix however is quite a mixed bag, I think. Like all of the other Depeche Mode 5.1 mixes, it sounds rushed to me and doesn't get the atmosphere quite right. In the case of Violator it is particularly noticeable because the album has such a unique sound, depth and attention to detail. In the surround mix, sometimes samples are weirdly chopped, effects aren't recreated well and instead of the intimate, at times quietly menacing soundscape there is a slightly out of whack reverb fest. In short, it's lacking the finesse of the stereo mix.
Sweetest Perfection and Personal Jesus work really well, despite some shortcomings. Waiting for the Night is just perfect. Halo, which arguably has the weakest production on the original stereo album, actually benefits a bit from the surround mix. It's also nice to hear Martin L Gore's background vocals more clearly.

I'd vote an 8 now. But I admit I might be over critical just because this is about the only album I know by heart that ever got a surround release.

I have all these D.M. SACD/DVD collector editions. I've compared the discs on my region free universal player. I prefer the SACD version.
To my ears they have more "bite"
Violator is a great album and I like the fidelity & mastering.
Comparing this to other D.M. 5.1 mixes I find Violator a little tame. Almost a "big stereo" sound.
Reminds me of the mix on another D.M. that I love (Delta Machine)
I don't really hear much distinct discrete content from the surrounds. Nothing that really jumps out at you. I gave this an 8.

Last edited:
Care to elaborate? I should come back to this thread and vote once I have my physical media unpacked and the sound system set up in the new house I am having built. By memory, I loved this mix, but also the album is a perfect 10 IMHO.

Back