Dual Disc Bjork Surrounded Box Set

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still think Medulla is awesome.
If you're new to Bjork though, Debut or Post is perhaps the most friendly offering.

Exactly my point. If he likes those 2, he can ease his way into Medulla. But as a first exposure to Bjork, not a good choice. Especially seeing his tastes.

It'd be great to hear any detailed reviews of these, either here or in the Hi-Rez Spotlight Discs forum

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...splay.php?f=42

Well, I created a poll in the DVD-A section, but I had to delete it since these were not DVD-A. What's weird is that if you look on her website, you will see that some of the disc graphics have the DVD-A logo, and some don't. I hope this does not happen with the Doors box set! :eek:

Attachments

• surrounded__cd4.jpg
    surrounded__cd4.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 422
  • surrounded__cd7.jpg
    surrounded__cd7.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 431
Well, I created a poll in the DVD-A section, but I had to delete it since these were not DVD-A....:

Oh yeah forgot, that's only for true high res talk.

Well, anyway there's been precious little discussion of how the new 5.1 mixes themselves are, at least that I've been able to find. Personally I'm very curious how these sound.

Oh yeah forgot, that's only for true high res talk.

Well, anyway there's been precious little discussion of how the new 5.1 mixes themselves are, at least that I've been able to find. Personally I'm very curious how these sound.

True, I don't know if this set was a big seller because of the disappointment with no DVD-A. I have all 7 discs in my possession now. Post is going to be first up for me and I will let you know what I think. A better reviewer would of course be familiar with the music. I am a complete novice, the brief snippets online are all I have heard of most of these albums and it will likely be months before I listen to all of them, assuming I like what I start with.

Chris

"Post" is a great album. If the others are close to this good, I will keep all 7. Having never heard this in stereo, it is difficult to know if surround adds much to the music but there is nothing flashy or gimmicky about the mix. This is a subtle very clear surround mix, the music is minimalistic but expertly arranged and produced. There are hints of jazz. I am going to have to listen again to figure out what she is talking about, but it all seems very playful and silly at times. Although I know most wanted these albums released in DVD-A, the DTS and Dolby Digital audio quality is first rate here. Another winner from Rhino/Warner in my opinion.

Chris

I just got my box today. I looked through the discs carefully, and all indications of DVD-A have been removed. The only way to tell that at least at some point these were going to be DVD-A discs is by carefully looking at the graphics on the discs at her website.

http://www.bjork.com/special/surrounded/

The 7 individually packaged DualDiscs are selling as a 'set' on eBay for ~$50 new/sealed, about half what the box costs new/sealed discounted (deepdiscountcd.com etc.)

As such I'm inclined to go for the individual titles.

Aside from the actual pink box itself is there anything else I'd be missing?

Last edited:
The 7 individually packaged DualDiscs are selling as a 'set' on eBay for ~$50 new/sealed, about half what the new/sealed box costs discounted.

I'm inclined to go for these, aside from the actual pink box itself is there anything else I'd be missing?
Wow, that's a great price! All you are missing is the box. There is no difference between the boxed titles and the individual titles, and there are no other "goodies" that come in the box.

The 7 individually packaged DualDiscs are selling as a 'set' on eBay for ~$50 new/sealed, about half what the box costs new/sealed discounted (deepdiscountcd.com etc.)

As such I'm inclined to go for the individual titles.

Aside from the actual pink box itself is there anything else I'd be missing?

The jewel cases have notches cut out from the seller I used, otherwise all new and sealed.

Chris

You know, I never noticed the DVD-A logo on the scans at bjork.com What a shame that studio politics got in the way of having some really definitive releases. As I've mentioned before it had only made sense that the box set would be a continuation of releases like the DVD-A for Medulla.

I've got a question for Neil: Is the purchase of a DVD-A player really worth the cost to listen to Vespertine and Medulla in Advanced Resolution? How much of a difference is there? Is the leap very far from the Dolby or DTS mix for DVD-video to the superior DVD-A versions?

Oh, by the way, I plan to write some heavy-duty reviews of the seven (_surrounded) releases in the "DTS & DD Surround Spotlight" forum. As some here seem to be thirsty for an expert oninion, I give you mine for your consideration. I've been listening to Bjork's music for nearly 10 years, and have heard the albums (with the exception of DR9) at least 100 times each, though Post, Debut, and Homogenic I'm sure more than that. You be sure to let me know if my opinion was helpful. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have this box set for sale if anyone is interested. It is in like new condition. Msg me if you would like to buy it for a reasonable price.

BTW... Yourmusic.com is starting to sell these for $5.99 a peice. They've already got the Debut, Post and Vespertine dualdiscs.

Um, that's $6.99 each now as of Jan 2007. :mad:

I cleared my list and cancelled the account, specifying price increase as a factor. Wanted to get their attention and wait for the please come back offer.

Looking at it right now; it clearly says on their home screen: All CDs $6.99 FREE Shipping Always

Putting Bjork in artist search, all std listings read $6.99 as well.

I checked the site both logged in and out.

It would seem that if you are not a subscriber, the price is $6.99.

As a subscriber, when I am logged in, it says $5.99.

That's not accurate; I went to the trouble of re-activating my account and it's STILL all $6.99! So I clicked on Contact Us and sent this note:

Hello - I just reactivated my accty because another member insists that single discs are priced at $5.99 again. Why does he see one price and I see another? Tim

That IS weird.

It may be possibly that people who signed on before the price changes get to keep the older rates.

I had something similar happen with my eMusic subscription. On my account with eMusic, I signed on when it was $20 for 90 song downloads. Now it's changed to 75 songs or so, but since I had signed on for 90/month, 90's still what I get.

That's not it either. They started sending emails about the pending increase back in Nov/Dec to take effect the 1st week in Jan 07 and that's what caused me to quit. I was a member from day one.

Back