HiRez Poll Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Porcupine Tree - STUPID DREAM

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Another excellent PT DVD-A. Keep them coming. This is the first time I have heard Stupid Dream. Steve (no not that Steve!!) has done a great job on the surround mix. On the first listen I thought it wasn't as good as their other 2 DVD-A's but on the 2nd listen, it is coming into focus. I'm sure that it will be right up there with the other 2 after a few more listens. I have to vote 10 as this is so much above most other releases out there at the moment. Please bring the entire catalogue out in 5.1 DVD-A. I and most others will buy them all.

I have never heard anything PT outside the two DVD-A's I have, In Absentia and Deadwing.

Since I love those two I took a chance and ordered Stupid Dreams as well. Once again I was very impressed by this realease. The sonics and mixes is IMHO better than on the other two (and they are both very good), and the music is in the same league. I have to listen some more to this, for me, brand new music before I give my final judgement. Add to this a very classy package and you have the #1 rerealease of the year.

A solid 10 in my book. I repeat, sonic quality and 5.1-mixes doesn't get any better than this.

//Uffe

I give it a 9. Fantastic mix. I noticed that it has a lower bit rate than the the other 2 PT's. My player tells me it is only has a seven out of ten bit rate. Now, I can't say I can hear any difference but just about all my DVD-A have the full bit rate except for this one, Vespertine (8 bit rate) and a couple of Silverline issues namely Robert Cray and Charlie Musselwaite which also run at a seemingly lower bit rate of 8 on my player. Maybe Neil can explain this or anybody else who has noticed it???:banana: . Regard this as a nit picking observation, the album is still a must have.

I give it a 9. Fantastic mix. I noticed that it has a lower bit rate than the the other 2 PT's. My player tells me it is only has a seven out of ten bit rate. Now, I can't say I can hear any difference but just about all my DVD-A have the full bit rate except for this one, Vespertine (8 bit rate) and a couple of Silverline issues namely Robert Cray and Charlie Musselwaite which also run at a seemingly lower bit rate of 8 on my player. Maybe Neil can explain this or anybody else who has noticed it???:banana: . Regard this as a nit picking observation, the album is still a must have.

Doesn't this bitrate refer to the video transfer speed?

The way MLP Lossless encoding will explain how this works, assuming you are playing it in 24/48 MLP. What do you see when you load the disc - does it go to a menu, or does it start to play track 1 immediately?
MLP Lossless outputsa decoded signal that is bit-for-bit identical to the input signal, and part of the process is the encoder will decode the stream & compare it to the original one to be certain.
Some streams compress better than others do, somerequire heavy tweaking and use of ReBit to make it all fit into the maximum stream rate of 9.6Mbits/second.
With Audio discs, this reading (bitrate) is both misleading & irrelevant.
PCM is a fixed rate.
DTS is a fixed rate in Legacy modes, like DTS, DTS-ES & DTS-96/24, but in DTS-HD MAS it is again lossless which means a variable bitrate and bit for bit identical output.
MLP is variable, and identical output.
Audio is therefore a constant, and bitrate meters pointless.

Don't worry - just crank up the volume.

That explains why when i have checked the bit rate on DVD-Vs, it fluctuates 3 or 4 bars. Your explaination is truely appreciated as is your fine work on this album. Yeah, and I do like it when you can put a disc in and it just plays.:D

Phew........Thats another thing that I don,t have to worry about.

Only just picked this up, I have Absentia and Deadwing as DVDAs and most of their other stuff as CD releases, including this. I prefer this as an album, always have, but this takes it up another notch, the surround mix and sound quality are stunning...a definite 10 for me.

10 all around without a doubt. My favorite DVD-A from P-Tree so far, both in terms of musical content, fidelity and the mix. GO AND BUY THIS DISC! (y)

desert island disc, and desert island must have a surround system.

kudos all round, this is a wonderful disc thank you

On a couple of place in this thread it says this release is only available from the PT website.
I've seen it here :http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7222636&BAB=E

and elsewhere with the same catalog number (Snapper MSMCD913) though some sites say it's 1 disc, others 2.
Can anyone confirm if there was a single disc re-issue or are all them CD/DVD-A ?

(i.e. am I safe buying from CD Universe or whomever)

On a couple of place in this thread it says this release is only available from the PT website.
I've seen it here :http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7222636&BAB=E

and elsewhere with the same catalog number (Snapper MSMCD913) though some sites say it's 1 disc, others 2.
Can anyone confirm if there was a single disc re-issue or are all them CD/DVD-A ?

(i.e. am I safe buying from CD Universe or whomever)

Originally it was supposed to be available only through burningshed, but was later given a wider release. You should be fairly safe buying from a North American seller.

Originally it was supposed to be available only through burningshed, but was later given a wider release. You should be fairly safe buying from a North American seller.

Thanks, that's what I had hoped to hear.

With the money I save I'll be able to spring for the FOABP pre-order :)

I'm on my forth listen, and this just keeps getting better and better. I just love the way the whole house shakes with the opening of "Tinto Brass". My favorite song may be "Piano Lessons". Anyone still looking for this, can find a copy at Amazon.com for $12.15 + $2.95 shipping. Look under New and Used, then look for the vendor "importcds". I belive it was the first listing. Anyway this will keep my ears busy until FOABP DVD-A arrives later this week.

I just ordered this disc from Tower.com (I double checked the UPC by pasting it into the search line on Amazon.com, and it brings up the same disc) for a decent price, but it gets better... I ordered the other two PT DVD-A's from them (also really good prices, just search their site for them) as well as the Beatles Love DVD-A and I got free shipping, and all 4 discs were shipped out the next day. That's what I call service! I can't wait to have a listen. I just saw PT last night in Orlando's House of Blues. It was the first time seeing them, and it was an awesome show!(y)

Back