HiRez Poll Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Porcupine Tree - STUPID DREAM

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
I got my e-mail from Burning Shed that my Dvd-A of FoaBP had shipped today :D
Just hope it gets out of Britain before the 48 hour postal dispute begins :(

After Neil's build up I cant wait to hear this before I get to see them next month

~M~

Tower.com......is that what Tower Records has devolved into? Oh well.
Stupid Dream is my favorite PT disc to date, strongest overall songwriting IMHO. Looking forward to that postally highjacked DVD-A disc when it gets here though, FOABP is probaly my #2! :D John

I had not heard of Porcupine Tree until reading the reviews in this forum. I have since purchased all of their MC discs. Stupid Dream is my favorite, Even Less is one of my top 10 songs. I would definitely rate it a 10. Arriving Somewhere but not Here is an awesome DVD-V also.

There have been no comments in this thread for a year but this has moved to number 1 in the QQ forum poll list, moving above the Talking Heads box set. I never noticed it before so I assume June 30 was the first date. The top 4 as of right now.

9.75 Porcupine Tree STUPID DREAM DVD-A 51 39 11 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
9.72 Talking Heads BRICK DVD-A 57 45 9 2 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
9.72 Porcupine Tree FEAR OF A BLANK PLANET DVD-A 53 39 13 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
9.68 Porcupine Tree LIGHTBULB SUN DVD-A 44 31 12 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Chris

Stupid Dream was a huge turning point in the quality of the writing and continues to be a rewarding listen. This is where I finally plunked down some small amount of money to see what the fuss was about. Even Less is still a huge favorite and now having it all in DVD-A 5.1 is so sweet.

I had never heard of PT until this forum. Ordered this from Amazon, received it yesterday, and have listened to half in my car this morning. Holy NSFW!!!
I love the music, and the sound is stunningly beautiful. I won't insult the group with comparisons to PF, but the musical imagery is "as good or better as I've ever heard". I do wonder if I'm hearing some Shawn Phillips influence too?
Anyway, 2nd half on the way home tonight. Multiple listens coming this weekend.
Thanks to ALL of you for the suggestion.

After 3 listens, SD only gets better and better. I can't believe I've gone this long utterly unaware of Mr. Wilson and his group.
Superb.

IMO "In Absentia" is the best PT DVD-A by a wide margin after listening to all of them many times. I keep coming back to "In Absentia". I never get tired of listening to it. "Deadwing" is a close second.

IMO "In Absentia" is the best PT DVD-A by a wide margin after listening to all of them many times. I keep coming back to "In Absentia". I never get tired of listening to it. "Deadwing" is a close second.

I agree with you.
This one gets the most play from my "PT" collection.:smokin
Stupid Dream is second.

I'm stunned abou this album, I sincerely tought it would be hard to my ears but it happened the whole oposite I even think is better than FoABP and Lightbulb Sun.

The surround mix is excelent as usually Mr. Wilson uses to do so.
Just one thing that intrigues me a bit: I listen all of my dvd-a's with dts codec as I don't own a dvd-a player.
My question is, How much of quality am I missing not playing the mlp mix?
I have to say I can't afford an universal oppo player which seems to be the best dvd-a/blu-ray player.

Still I enjoy so much with the dts surround and stereo versions, cause musically PT is paradise for me, so lossy or lossless surround it's just fine for me when talking about Porcupine Tree.

Don't misundertand me, I love DTS, it sounds beautiful on my gear and I really aprecciate Wilson and his team provides these surround mixes for the guys like me who do not own dvd-a player. (And i hope he still will)

By the way, I bought Insurgentes dvd-a too, and the same: I playback the dts mix which is a sonically a masterpiece but no mlp because of the lack of these player.

I'll be grateful to listen (read) your opinions.

With DVD-A and SACD you should hear that the midrange and treble have a tad more clarity and realism.The bass looses that slight muddiness. Its tighter. DTS is not far behind too my old ears but the difference is there. When I go to the trouble to sit down and take the time to listen to something I want to know its of the best fidelity possible. Don't bother with Dolby unless there is no other option as you are losing > 80% of the info with that codec.

Yes, Dolby is not my cup of tea too. I use it to playback for example Pink Floyd's P.U.L.S.E. or Pet Sounds 40 anniv dvd or as you say when there is no other audio option.
I mean, when I play a dvd-video there's no worry to me because I know I'm using all the potentiality of it's audio (dts/dd). With dvd-a I can't help wondering how many quality I'm losing. But if you say DTS is not too far from MLP as Dolby is, It makes me feel better about it.
So, if Dolby losses 80% of the info, how many info am I losing with dts vs. mlp?
God blesses Blu-Ray when there's no need of another special and expensive player to use the loosless codecs.

Btw, my grade to Stupid Dream is a wide 1 0.
Thanks for asnwering :)

I was just going through the Steven Wilson discography and when i came to stupid Dream DVDA it said some were faulty, does anyone know what that fault was ?

I know I had an early disc but have never noticed anything untoward with my copy.

I was just going through the Steven Wilson discography and when i came to stupid Dream DVDA it said some were faulty, does anyone know what that fault was ?

I know I had an early disc but have never noticed anything untoward with my copy.

Yes, I do know. :mad:
The original Video_TS was supplied to us as a done thing, but needed a small change.
On recompile, for some inexplicable reason, the DTS stream of "Even Less - Extended Version" was cut short by almost 2 minutes and had silence instead of music & I never picked up on this.
Never before have I seen anything like this, and never again since.
We swapped the masters immediately, and replaced all those who wanted replacements (MLP not affected).

It's the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened in my career, and taught me a valuable lesson - never, ever, trust software. Always check every stream, all the way through.

Well, just to add in my input. For years now Porcupine Tree has been my go to music for enjoyment. I've cycled thousands of miles to them playing on the Ipod. But once I picked up an Oppo and was able to feed true multi-channel into my systems I've been resourcing the PT work in surround. Saw this finally back in stock at Burning Shed and immediately placed the order. Got it delivered today and all I can say is WOW, WOW, WOW!! What a masterpiece of pure sonic enjoyment from start to finish. Even Less is just so totally amazing. I don't see how anyone can listen to it and not find themselves grinning from pure soul-pleasing pleasure.

Back