HiRez Poll Kraftwerk - MINIMUM MAXIMUM [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Kraftwerk - MINIMUM MAXIMUM

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Sound, Bad Mix, Bad Content

• Total voters
Don't really like giving out a 10 but it is great electronic music, great sound, and great surround. I got this when it first came out and am glad I did.

I'm only seeing the English language version of the DVD on their site at the moment... :( Do you have a link?

R E Faust

Your order is now being shipped 2. feb 2010
We have dispatched the following consignment to you today by post.
Look forward to receiving these items:
Order Number Quantity Item
6216781 1 Kraftwerk Minimum-Ma

And today I ordered
Ihre Bestellung:

Menge Medium Bestellnummer Titel Preis Summe
1 SACD 3458261 O, Yeah: Ultimate Aerosmith Hits EUR 17.99 17.99

1 SACD 5902589 Minimum-Maximum (English Version EUR 27.99 27.99

The GSA-version is removed from JPC.de, but they have the English version listed now.

Ok, what kind of reissue was that?! I had mine ordered at weltbild.de and while waiting for it, jpc offered it for something like a day first GSA then International. When I (twice) asked weltbild.de if mine was still coming, there told me sorry, but it's totally out of stock. Of course by then it was gone at jpc as well. Well, I wrote them how pissed I was that they didn't tell me in time, so I could order it someplace else. But it was to late and the ebay and marketplace offers got more expensive by the hour again. So I panicked and ordered one at amazon marketplace for about 53 Euros (used - like new) which arrived two days ago. Good thing, it really looked absolutely new and has to be considered cheap already. It looks like I still was lucky in a way.

So what has happened here? This SACD was OOP for years and only to be gotten for absurd prices. From where then came these ones that have been sold right now? Have they been new pressings? Has Kling Klang ordered a new set of pressings at the SACD plant? And if yes, how many? 50 for each language? How could they have produced so little that they sold out in about two days? Or have there been hundreds and they all were bought by professional dealers who will sell them for hundreds of Euros/Pounds/Dollars over the next years on ebay? Or was it just a small number of discs from 2004 being held back for the moment the remaster Katalog came out? I don't get it! And I really feel sorry for all of you who didn't get one for a halfway decent price now.

But maybe I got it all wrong and in a few days/weeks/months they will be available in great numbers again and dirt cheap. But I kinda doubt it.

But since I'm one of the lucky bastards to have it, I might just as well rate it. It's a solid 10. I love the music anyway and these live versions are pretty cool remixes. Maybe a bit to many tracks from Tour De France, but it's a 2 disc set, so there is still enough of the cool old stuff. And the surround mix is outstanding. It's somewhere between Sea Change and Yoshimi. And the sonics are great as well.

As I said, a solid 10.

:worthy

It would have been so great if they had offered 5.1 versions of their whole catalogue they just released. The music is just perfect for it. :(

Ok, what kind of reissue was that?! I had mine ordered at weltbild.de and while waiting for it, jpc offered it for something like a day first GSA then International. When I (twice) asked weltbild.de if mine was still coming, there told me sorry, but it's totally out of stock.

Looks like this ebay seller scooped up a bunch of them.

Hi All,

Wow, I have just obtained the SACD set of this, and I am impressed! This is a full 10.

For me, this is a template mix for how I would like to hear concerts mixed in surround. I am not saying they all should be THIS aggressive. I am saying that the creatives involved with this mix kept the audience in the rears, but were not shy with using the rears for discrete musical elements.

Some would call this mix gimmicky, which I would not disagree with. Having said that, their music itself is rather gimmicky, so I think the mix to be absolutely well matched to the music. I happen to really enjoy both the mix and the music, and this is a demo disc, although not for all audiences. This is for fans of electronic music. Reminds me of the mix of Aero by Jarre, which I also love.

If you like or love electronic music, this is a must-have! If you like aggressive surround mixing, also a must-have!

10-10-10 (Music-sonics-mix)

Ken

I technically can't vote in this SACD poll as I have the DVD set but it's a "10-10-10" from the Canadian judge!
Superb electronic pop music delivered in wonderful surround.

I saw this tour and I could not believe the crisp sonics and the massive but tight bass sounds they achieved in a boomy small stadium.
Saw Bob Dylan in the same venue, in approximately the same seats, the next month and the sound was the total mush you would expect.

10. Great fidelity, good mix for live, and most of their best stuff. I've been following them since the cone albums on Philips. This is my Son's favorite band. I first took him to see them when he was 14. Visually, it was the best show EVER! Musically, it scored pretty high, as well. Techno starts here.

Kraftwerk-Minimum-Maximum-356385.jpg

Don't know if I can vote since I have the DVD-V DTS version (not the SACD),
but , here it goes.
Musically, I was extremely pleased to find out that these people do not play a note for note version of their songs..they "improvise" ..a la Tangerine Dream (another German band that doesn't play their stuff live note for note), so kudos!

Mix wise....WHEW!!!
maaaannnn, this one goes up to ELEVEN in the "active" mix category.....stuff flying around EVERYWHERE!!!! It works with this kind of music...well , that, and I'm a sucker ("su..ckerrrrr") for those kind of "dizzying" mixes....

The video is ....hmmm...distracting..THIS is one DVD-V that I prefer to LISTEN to (as opposed to the Led Zeppelin O2 one)...I am one who thinks that it's like watching paint dry...OK, not that bad but somehow , the visuals DETRACT from the INCREDIBLE mix.... the viewer gets only only a few glimpses(at the END of the show) of what these guys have on their "workstations"...curiously all the guys have mixers and trackballs (the one I have on my other Mac too!), except for the one on the left (is that Rolf "V2" Schneider???), who has an ACTUAL KEYBOARD(as in Synth).

Another thing...it would be great to have an option of an "audience" less mix...

But as it is, from the Surround POV (or point of hearing), I give this an enthusiastic TWO THUMBS UP.
smokin:

I hesitated when the SACD came out as I didn't have a player at the time, and hoped it'd come down in price which of course it didn't....regrets. Basically forgot about it for years and seeing this thread resurrected prompted me to order the DVD so I at least have something....it's in the mail now.

I've only had the pleasure of listening to/watching the DVD version. Nice visuals, good use of the rears, but the bass is very heavy on my set up. (Could be due to still wrestling with Audessey.)

I voted an 8. For me that means it is very satisfactory. There is nothing inherently wrong sound, surround or musically. Then again there is nothing truly exceptional. Hence an 8. I listen to disc one usually once a month which is unusually high for a disc this old.

Well I got home today to find a package from jpc with the SACD inside!!! :)

It is the GSA version, or German language one, where there is an extra track because of the idexing compared to the International version.

REFaust

I know this an old post.. sorry to bump but I was wondering what the differences were. It looks like they split Trans Europe Express (Disk 2 Track 2) into two separate tracks. It also appears that the recordings themselves are different from for a lot of Disk 2.
6995a7c45843e9b9b34cc13f65d8fbea.jpg German
s-l1600.jpg International

I have both the English and German versions on DVDV..love them both...
I am particularly fond of "Taschenreschner" if only cause my ex gave me the "Computerwelt" CD , 1st pressing as a Bday present many moons ago!

This music was made for the surround treatment. Really LOVE this release. It's a solid 10 for me.
I haven't listened to it recently, but I remember that Tour de France and Aero Dynamik were standouts (but, I mean, all of them were standouts). I also remember that The model didn't work as expected in surround.

Recently, I've been listening quite a lot to the new Kraftwerk 3D box set. The mixes are quite different, songs are also shorter. Overall, this is one of the best surround releases of the last few years. But I'm not sure I'd rank it above Minimum-Maximum.

Yes, I really like Minimum-Maximum. It's a really good mix, and as I've been getting more into Kraftwerk there's been more for me to enjoy on the DVDs.

I played nearly all of this today, but while doing other things for the most part. I really like the surround mix, but it's not for everyone. It's certainly not whizz-bang in the rears with loads of rotational panning stuff which I think some like. It's mixed really nicely for my taste though, but there's not a lot after (or even perhaps including) Electric Café that I'm interested in. The first disc starts really well with The Man Machine (which got me into the track even though I already had the album of the same name), but then has three tracks in a row that are post Café. It turns out I liked one of them, but it seemed a shame for it to hit a low so quickly in the sequencing. The music isn't for everyone, and much of it took some years to grow on me, mainly through picking up some of the studio albums. It's hard for me to rate. Mix wise, I love it. Music wise I love some of it and like most of the rest of it. I'm not sure I would recommend it musically to people who aren't into the band and/or electronica. Rating just on the mix it's looking like a straight 8 or 9. I like the visuals on the DVD, I like the sound, but I think some people would find this release a struggle. What to score...?

Price of the SACD is astronomical. Cheapest I've seen was an eBay auction for $165 USD.
I am quite satisfied with the DVD (for now)
Anyone compared them...how much better is the SACD?
I found the channels quite discreet for a live release.
My only issue is the excessive low bass. My system is set up so the subwoofers are at 0db for most music. I had to set them at -6db for this one.
Anyone else?

Back