Porcupine Tree - "Arriving Somewhere" Live DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
The next release is definitely going to be the Live Album "Arriving Somewhere".
It's scheduled to be released on September 1, with Pre Orders from August 1 if all goes well.
The initial version will be a limited edition numbered 2 disc set, with a maximum of 10,000 copies worldwide. After these are sold - through The Shed - the release will be just Disc 1.
Disc 1 is the full live show, 1 hour 45 minutes long filmed in Chicago on the recent tour. It will have PCM stereo & 5.1 DTS audio.
All mixing & mastering, as usual, by Steven & Darcy Proper.
Disc 2 will have several goodies included:
"Lazarus" - Promo Video, 2.0 PCM & 5.1 DTS
3 Animations from the live show backdrop - "Halo", "Mother & Child" and "The Start Of Something Beautiful", again in 2.0 PCM & 5.1 DTS
2 Live tracks from the Rockpalast show in Germany, "Futile" & "Radioactive Toy" both in 2.0 PCM only.
Also included is a film from Gavin Harrisson, "Cymbal Song" - again in 2.0 PCM & 5.1 DTS
Rounding off this extra bonus disc will be a new gallery with 100+ shots all set to a 9 minute track also in both 2.0 PCM & 5.1 DTS.

The film of the show was shot, edited & mastered in HD, and downscaled to SD resolution. Lasse Hoile has done all the editing and has done a superb job here. It's a real visual treat.

This will be a nice addition to the catalogue, and should keep us all happy until the new Studio album is finished, which will then be followed by Lightbulb Sun, both of which will also be available in DVD-A as well.
:banana:

2 Live tracks from the Rockpalast show in Germany, "Futile" & "Radioactive Toy" both in 2.0 PCM only.

The time the Rockpalast has aired this show on tv the picture was extremely bright, as to have turned the brightness too much up. After several complaints in their guestbook about the odd picture quality they said they tried out a new video effect, but haven't expected the results the way it came out afterwards, and they weren't able to correct it...

BTW the Rockpalast show is great.

-Kristian

I thank you for your heads up info Neil!

This will be another for the collection to be enjoyed repeatedly;)

Why is it that only a very small group of artists get it?
Porcupine tree has and is going all out to promote the best listening experience possible. AND, I thank them by purchasing EVERY last offering they put on the web site. (I can't say shelves anymore!)

Patiently waiting.:smokin

The time the Rockpalast has aired this show on tv the picture was extremely bright, as to have turned the brightness too much up. After several complaints in their guestbook about the odd picture quality they said they tried out a new video effect, but haven't expected the results the way it came out afterwards, and they weren't able to correct it...

BTW the Rockpalast show is great.

-Kristian

This is a different edit.
There were all sorts of odd filters on that broadcast as well (I have seen the bootleg DVD from the broadcast) and the assets for this one will be straight off the original master copy.....

Anyway.
Tracklisting for Disc 1, if anyone wants to know, is:
Revenant
Open Car
Blackest Eyes
Lazarus
Hate Song
Don't Hate Me
Mother And Child Divided
Buying New Soul
So-Called Friend
Arriving Somewhere...But Not Here
Heart Attack In A LayBy
The Start Of Something Beautiful
Halo
Sound Of Muzak
Even Less
Trains

Oh - there are some clips from the footage on the MySpace site for the band as well.
http://www.myspace.com/porcupinetree

Tracklisting for Disc 1, if anyone wants to know, is:
Revenant
Open Car
Blackest Eyes
Lazarus
Hate Song
Don't Hate Me
Mother And Child Divided
Buying New Soul
So-Called Friend
Arriving Somewhere...But Not Here
Heart Attack In A LayBy
The Start Of Something Beautiful
Halo
Sound Of Muzak
Even Less
Trains

Thanks for the tracklist.

Any idea if the DVD shows SW break his guitar string during the last section of "Trains". Or is it edited out?

Either way would be alright with me.;)

Last edited:
Some more downloadable goodies over at www.burningshed.co.uk already , including the Rockpalast show with missing tracks ! Me very happy boy :)

Now if only I could get my hands on a copy of the DsotM Dvd-A thats doing the rounds that would complete my summer !!!!!

~M~

Any idea if the DVD shows SW break his guitar string during the last section of "Trains". Or is it edited out?
Maybe you remember, PT recorded two evenings in Chicago with a partly different set-list. From that the DVD was compiled, so probably the take without broken string will make it :)

Last edited:
They only played "Trains" on the first night.
Sorry, my bad. :eek:

By looking at the 2 setlists from your review, I wish this 2 Disc version would have both concerts or at least one version of all the songs played :rolleyes:

I'm surprised by not including Radioactive Toy, which is often at the end of their shows. Kinda belongs there (as they played it both evenings). Maybe wanting to avoid to include any track that was on the live CD Coma Divine?
But OK, the Rockpalast version is on the bonus disc.

Last edited:
Also included is a film from Gavin Harrisson, "Cymbal Song" - again in 2.0 PCM & 5.1 DTS
I just saw the "Cymbal Song" on Gavin's DVD "Rhythmic Horizons" that I ordered as a present for a drummer :eek: . There it's just in DD 2.0 but quite some fun.

BTW it also containes a preview of the "Ariving Somewhere" DVD, the track Hatesong. Now I'd like to ask (maybe Neil has some inside information) were some guitar parts re-recorded later :rolleyes: ?

BTW2 looking forward to this too.

AFAIK, there are no overdubs at all - it's an amalgam of both nights, taking the best performances from each night. It's a genuine "Warts 'n' All" live album.
If "Hatesong" was played on both nights, it's possible (I don't know for sure) that the preview version may be different to the released one.

As far as the movie goes, it's a visual treat. Lasse has done a really good job with the visuals. Very filmic look (The benefits of shooting & mastering in HD, I guess).

thanks for turning me on to this band listing to this band has been a breath of freash air and in 5.1 sonicly great how can i get a preorder of arrivung somewhere i went to burning shed can't find where to preorder it thanks for your help/trainman92

The Bad news is that the release - commercially - will be October 9 in the shops.
The good news is that it will definitely be available from the website & Burning Shed from the first week of september, and from the shows on the forthcoming tour too.
Initial pressing will be a double disc edition, and once this is sold out, it will revert to a single disc edition.

Here's the promo poster to whet the already sharpened appetites.

Attachments

• albumart.arrivingDVD.jpg
    albumart.arrivingDVD.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 261
The film of the show was shot, edited & mastered in HD, and downscaled to SD resolution. Lasse Hoile has done all the editing and has done a superb job here. It's a real visual treat.

Any chance this might show up as HD-DVD at some point? With TrueHD sound?

Back