DVD/DTS Poll Miller, Steve - Fly Like An Eagle (30th Anniversary) [DD DVD+CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Steve Miller - FLY LIKE AN EAGLE [2006]

• Total voters
I give it a 10, The surrond mix sounds better to me than to DTS CD one, i haven't listened to the old DTS one for a while though, I just can't quit listening to this one, must have listened to it about 5 times now. GREAT. And the concert is very good also. I would have gladly paid 19.99 for the surround DVD mix of the album, and another 19.99 for the concert seperately. But you get both for the price of one. SUPER!!!!!!!!!:banana:

I'd never heard of Steve Miller, but this is excellent. I'm very pleased with it indeed.

Unless my eyes are deceiving me he's playing a left handed guitar that has been restrung for right handed use.

I'd never heard of Steve Miller, but this is excellent. I'm very pleased with it indeed.

I nearly asked what rock you'd been living under if you've never heard of Steve Miller! :eek: But then I looked at your location. I have a friend from Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England and she hasn't heard of a lot of the music I like either! :eek:

Glad you like it :)

Has anyone else noticed that the tonal quality of "You Send Me" sounds different than all of the other tracks? To me it sounds distorted and sticks out (in a bad way) from the rest of the tracks. When I listen to the album I just can't understand the engineer approving this.

Has anyone else noticed that the tonal quality of "You Send Me" sounds different than all of the other tracks? To me it sounds distorted and sticks out (in a bad way) from the rest of the tracks. When I listen to the album I just can't understand the engineer approving this.

Definitely. I've also wondered why they didn't do a better job with this. I can't tell which track all that hiss is coming from, but for some reason I'm inclined to think it's one of the vocal tracks. This, by the way, is not unique to the multichannel versions.

Definitely. I've also wondered why they didn't do a better job with this. I can't tell which track all that hiss is coming from, but for some reason I'm inclined to think it's one of the vocal tracks. This, by the way, is not unique to the multichannel versions.

Interestingly, we both use the same model of dvd player - a Pioneer 578. Anybody else out there with a different player who thinks "You Send Me" sounds distorted?

Interestingly, we both use the same model of dvd player - a Pioneer 578. Anybody else out there with a different player who thinks "You Send Me" sounds distorted?

I don't think it's the 578 - it has always sounded that way to me, on every player. It's the recording.

Can anyone please get me a copy of this?
Will gladly paypal the disc costs & postage to UK, as we cannot seem to get it here - even through Amazon!

Is this the same mix as the 30th anniversary one?
http://www.amazon.com/Fly-Like-Eagle-30th-Anniversary/dp/B000GFRDN6
The linked disc is a CD/DVD set, with 22 tracks on the DVD.
Or is it yet a third version?
I am confused.....

This should be it. There is also a concert on the DVD. I haven't watched it, but the 22 tracks are probably the set list.

OK: I just checked and the track listing at amazon is for the concert. The DD 5.1 mix is on the same disc, doesn't seem like they are making it a big selling point though.

Last edited:
Here's the link to Amazon UK (Steve Miller 30th Anniversary Special Limited Edition)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fly-Like-Ea...505950-8246830?ie=UTF8&qid=1185851907&sr=11-1

That's the one you want.

That's like £25. ($50).
I just got another QQ member to ship it to me from Amazon.com for $18 (£9).
Same disc, yet in the UK (where it is NOT available anywhereapart from Amazon that I have found) we are being asked to pay out nearly 3 times as much.

Still need to know if this is the same as the DTS-CD mix. (Which I still also do not have)

That's like £25. ($50).
I just got another QQ member to ship it to me from Amazon.com for $18 (£9).
Same disc, yet in the UK (where it is NOT available anywhereapart from Amazon that I have found) we are being asked to pay out nearly 3 times as much.

Still need to know if this is the same as the DTS-CD mix. (Which I still also do not have)
It is not the same as the DTS cd mix. It is a completely new mix.

I just got this and I like it. "Fly Like An Eagle" never sounded better. I never heard the DTS CD. There is a track that sounds like loud hiss but I'm wondering if it's something else like an instrument (perhaps an annoying tambourine would come to mind).

Wonder if this one had been badly damaged on the multitrack, or something?
Will go back & recheck it against the DTS mix as well.

I voted an 8 for this, and it lost the points entirely because of only having DD stream on it.
A DTS would have improved matters, but MLP would have got it a 10.
Sorry, but no matter how good I cannot & will not give maximum to anything that is straight Dobly. The record was not *mixed* in Dobly, and the stereo heads get a lossless CD - so why do us surround fans get fobbed off with 11/12 data reduction? You cannot lose that much information & get away with it.
Such a shame, as the mix really is good.

I voted an 8 for this, and it lost the points entirely because of only having DD stream on it.
A DTS would have improved matters, but MLP would have got it a 10.
Sorry, but no matter how good I cannot & will not give maximum to anything that is straight Dobly. The record was not *mixed* in Dobly, and the stereo heads get a lossless CD - so why do us surround fans get fobbed off with 11/12 data reduction? You cannot lose that much information & get away with it.
Such a shame, as the mix really is good.
Totally agree. I think a person only has to reflect on their personal listening habits for the true indicator of how they rate their own discs. Truth is, as great as this album is as a surround mix and as big as this album was back in the seventies, I don't listen to it that much. Format (dvd-a/sacd vs dd) trumps musical content.

Can't remember what I gave this - seems I am unable to look at who voted for what.
Anyway, this is all relevant to the 2006 edition.
1 - The Album.
Great - but why for the love of God are we stuck - yet again - with a Dolby Bloody Digital stream only? Lose lots of marks here.
2 - The Live show.
Very nice I am sure, but so far in 6 attempts I have still not managed to get through it. Ther word "Bland" comes to mind. And we lost the High Resolution stream for this? Not worth it.
3 - The Documentary
Never watched it. Don't care.

WHY WAS THIS NOT HIGH RESOLUTION?

Back