Harrison Tape Guide - June 76: Scans from the Q8 section

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing how incomplete this 1976 catalog is compared to the Schwann catalogs of the day. Since this is near the end of the era, it ought to be complete but many catalog Q8s routinely missing. Also dopey shortcuts and many Dolby Q8s not denoted.

Of the other non-releases spotted:

Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die (how great that would be)
Roberta Flack - First Take
Jimi Hendrix - Crash Landing

Last edited:
"4 channel 8-track cartridges can be played back best on 4-channel eqipment." If you don't, you'll need twice as much time. LOL!! Great grammar, too. Thanks, Jon, it's a blast from the past. We used to live by this and Schwann.

Soul Box lives. I have both a Q8X2 & a marked SQ copy. I'm pretty sure I've seen Airto's Fingers on Q8. I own it on SQ. Great record! I had the pleasure of spending time with him. He's most knowledgable and entertaining. I learned a great deal about playing percussion.

Deodato is screwed up. Nights in White Satin wasn't the title of CTI 6029, nor was it Prelude 2. The title was Deodato 2. John Dawson Winter and III are two separte listings list with the same #. They invented a new guy with the last name of Schmilsson. No Angel # for the Red Back Book. Al Kooper evidently cloned himself. He's listed as Cooper and Kooper.

Donovan's Essence to Essence is vaporware. It didn't sell well in 2ch. Too bad, great record. Mahavishnu's Apocalypse, Streisand's We Go Together (huh?) and the titles others mentioned are also vaporware.

Conspicuous in their absence are: Loggins & Messina, Moody Blues' a Question of Balance, Gordon Lightfoot's Sundown, Allmans at Fillmore, Blue Oyster Cult's 1st, America's Holiday, Carole King's Fantasy, West, Bruce & Laing's Why Dontcha & Alive & Kicking, Edgar Winter's They Only Come Out, Deodato/Airto in Concert, first 3 Bonnie Koloc's, ZZ Top's Tres Hombres, Weather Report's Mysterious Traveller, Santana/McLaughlin & Santana/Miles, Summer Breeze & Unborn Child by Seals & Crofts, Santana III, Sly's Small Talk, Chapter VII by Buddy Miles, Azteca (OOP?), Derringer's All American Boy, Buddy Rich's Roar of '74, Hotcakes, Playing Possum & Carly Simon, Offering, Village Gate & 11th House by Larry Coryell, Cleveland Eaton, Staples Singers, Shaft, Joy & Sahara Tahoe by isaac Hayes, Creedence Gold, Focus at the Rainbow, and Doobie's What Were Once Vices.

It was fun reviewing this listing. There are probably more I missed. Too crosseyed to peruse the classical.

Linda
Harrison Hostess

Grover Washington soul box?

If I can deviate from the topic a little.....Linda mentioned the Schwann catalog. I remember going in record stores and looking up stuff in those, and even Army PX's overseas had them
and I would order LP's based on the listings. (incidentally many of the LP's I ordered in Europe and Asia came from Europe and were top quality vinyl unlike the US re-melted crap)
So....does anything like that exist today?

Schwann may still be published but I haven't seen one in ages. I've got 3 or 4 Harrisons and some Schwanns from this period. I'll dig them out to see if I have a later date on the Harrison that you shared Jon. If so I can scan or send it along to you. I'll let you know.

Did Schwann ever list reel-to-reel? I think they were anti-reel. Reel is dead, and all that.

I believe they did, though I am not certain. In 91 they were still showing Quad on their "how to use this guide" page in the front of the catalog.

I'm still in the never-ending process of updating an Excel spreadsheet of known and unknown Q8's. I started simply by inputting Mark Anderson's guide into a spreadsheet (and that was a few years ago!) Since then, I've had to add more that I KNOW exist (due to me owning them) and adding in more than were announced but unreleased. Although that has proven to be hard in some cases like an advertisement that says (paraphrasing) "Keep an eye out for upcomming Quad releases by David Bowie and John Denver due out this fall!" No mention of album names unfortunately. Did find an add stating Sly Stone's "There's a Riot Going on" was coming in Quad, so that got added in.

It's fun, aggrivating, exciting and depressing all at the same time.

Back