HiRez Poll Talking Heads - FEAR OF MUSIC [DVD-A DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A DualDisc of Talking Heads - FEAR OF MUSIC

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Originally available in the "Talking Heads Brick", which at the time of this thread origination heads the HiRezPoll, the seven discs were released individually some time later. Here's a chance to comment on the specific discs, as requested by some of our members.

So, please post your thoughts and comments on this DVD-A DualDisc! (y) :phones (n)

R-1384059-1353375710-8352.jpeg.jpg

R-1384059-1353375771-8855.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As a longstanding Heads fan, for me it is the best of their DVD-As. I Zimbra immerses the listener into a percussion tent with room for oxygen and not much else, Cities has new life as does Animals and even Electric Guitar (which often gets fast forwarded as my least favourite track) has a whole new identity in multi-channel. I know this album so well in stereo I was astounded at how much better the DVD-A MCH made it.

Last edited:
When I was younger Talking Heads was one of my favourite bands....

This (and Remain in Light) is their peak - IMO. Although the source is not great (8 track master - IIRC), this now sounds "richer" in surround - it always sounded a bit thin to me.

Brian Eno production, Bobby Fripp guest guitar on I Zimbra - and a 5.1 mix... awesome...

This album was recorded across two Sunday's in a New York loft. It has absolutely no right to sound as good as this, but it does!

The mix is fresh, open and clear yet full of energy. The songs are superb and the production spot on.

Another great TH release. Each one has blown me away. '77 is winging its way to me as we speak :)

A perfect 10.

If you're listening to these Talking Heads surround mixes in chronological order, you will hear a definite jump in mix and music quality from "More Songs About Buildings and Food". Right out of the gate, "I Zimbra" has become one of my favorite reference surround mixes from this reissue series. This track was definitely the inspiration for the Adrian Belew-era of King Crimson's "Discipline" sound, especially Robert Fripp actually plays on the track. The disc is worth it for the surround mix of this track alone!
But then there's more!
Almost all songs after that deliver equally well in surround! Too many highlights to list, so just get it!
Originally gave it a '9' but it's more like '9.5' :)

If you're listening to these Talking Heads surround mixes in chronological order, you will hear a definite jump in mix and music quality from "More Songs About Buildings and Food". Right out of the gate, "I Zimbra" has become one of my favorite reference surround mixes from this reissue series. This track was definitely the inspiration for the Adrian Belew-era of King Crimson's "Discipline" sound, especially Robert Fripp actually plays on the track. The disc is worth it for the surround mix of this track alone!
But then there's more!
Almost all songs after that deliver equally well in surround! Too many highlights to list, so just get it!
Originally gave it a '9' but it's more like '9.5' :)

Which one man? Fear of Music? Is that the DD I should get if I only get one?

Again this was one of the first surround discs I bought. More Songs..., Fear of Music, Remain in Light, Speaking in Tongues - all DVD-A, as they are my favorite Heads albums. I have come to love Little Creatures as of late too, but sadly don't have it in surround. With Fear Of Music, this is where it got REAL interesting. It's quite impressive how a band could sound so nervous and cool at the same time.

I Zimbra is as if it was made for surround, no further analysis on that. The way the drone/wind effect in the chorus of "Mind" comes to live in the rears is lovely, it really lifts the song. One of my favourites "Cities" is also enriched in surround, especially cranked up with the amazing punch in the fronts and the jittery clean riff in the rears - eargasm. Drugs is also a winner in surround, another favourite of mine, the distant beats/noises in the rears making it even more of an alienation listning to this.

Bottomline: This record truly shines in surround, but it certainly has to do with an astounding production in the first place. It's not like the surround mix needs to be out of this world, it's fairly simple albeit effective, resting on the amazing original production with great dynamics opening up new horizons. Man, this is good. 9.... Fuck, 10 it is.

The “Brick” set is an obvious “10” and this album is one of the main reasons why. Nearly perfect. Great collection of tracks. The album where they really come into their own with their sound. And the surround mix is superb. Especially considering it was recorded on 8-track mostly in Tina and Chris’ loft.

A classic all the way around.

System test:
"Drugs" at full volume. Be sure your surrounds are crossed over.
I had forgotten about this song. It was one of my favorites back in the vinyl days. For me this DVD audio disc is worth the price just for this song alone.

I like this album! A 9 for me, less than top marks because of the lack of bass in the multichannel mix. I like getting whomped by I Zimbra! It's there on the stereo which generally sounds great in advanced resolution. The surround mix does a better job preserving the power of the original mix than some others from the brick but does lose a bit despite the punchy quality. Since both mixes are included, no worries.

I like this album! A 9 for me, less than top marks because of the lack of bass in the multichannel mix. I like getting whomped by I Zimbra! It's there on the stereo which generally sounds great in advanced resolution. The surround mix does a better job preserving the power of the original mix than some others from the brick but does lose a bit despite the punchy quality. Since both mixes are included, no worries.

I suggest Naked if it is all about the bass! Facts of Life is nuts.

Back