HiRez Poll Talking Heads - REMAIN IN LIGHT [DVD-A DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A DualDisc of Talking Heads - REMAIN IN LIGHT

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
To Comments.png
Originally available in the "Talking Heads Brick", which at the time of this thread origination heads the HiRezPoll, the seven discs were released individually some time later. Here's a chance to comment on the specific discs, as requested by some of our members.

So, please post your thoughts and comments on this DVD-A DualDisc! (y) :phones (n)

R-1384066-1353441224-5440.jpeg.jpg

R-1384066-1353441243-9787.jpeg.jpg

MOD EDIT NOTE: GENERAL COMMENTS THREAD::
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...g-heads-remain-in-light-dvd-a-dualdisc.29965/

Last edited by a moderator:
what a great band!
and the effects are really good in surround.
The only strange thing is that the backing vocals are recorded better than the lead vocals...noticeable on crosseyed and painless and once in a lifetime...but that's not the fault of the 5.1 remix, more of a fault when it was first recorded....if the lead vocals were recorded better I would give it a 10, but for that I make it a 9....on the other hand the centre channel is far more pleasant to listen to than alot of other things...but you notice a good lead vocal in the centre speaker when you put on something like the sacd of elton john's tumbleweed connection and then go back to this disc in comparison...

These DualDiscs are so good, with this being my favorite of the 5 I now own. David Byrne's singing is certainly strange but somehow it all works. I guess I will stop at 5 of them, but I am glad now I never bought any of these albums in a lesser format.

Chris

Great Mix. Great Fidelity, Great Content.

The Talking Heads at their most Floydian. I'm not sure I can even defend that statement in words (other than 'The Overload'), but I feel it to be true. This record just sucks you in and takes you along for the ride, and a hell of a ride it is too. Perhaps the best record I have ever heard.

I give this one a 9 only because for me Tongues is a perfect 10 and this one is just a notch below. But this one is still a great ride!

I really like this disc. The problem I had was with my Pioneer playing it. The thing would freeze when you selected an audio choice forcing me to hardboot the player to remove it. Now, I just flashed the firmware in the player and can play it, even though it did a slight stagger step in one track. After saying all of that, who to blame? Something about the Talking Heads discs have cause people some grief. If this plays for you, you'll LOVE it. If it doesn't, then what the heck are they doing when manufacturing these to cause players to fault? A 9 just for that reason.

I really like this disc. The problem I had was with my Pioneer playing it. The thing would freeze when you selected an audio choice forcing me to hardboot the player to remove it. Now, I just flashed the firmware in the player and can play it, even though it did a slight stagger step in one track. After saying all of that, who to blame? Something about the Talking Heads discs have cause people some grief. If this plays for you, you'll LOVE it. If it doesn't, then what the heck are they doing when manufacturing these to cause players to fault? A 9 just for that reason.

I have played this disc in at least 6 different players without any issues but my one Pioneer player, the DV-588a, hasn't been connected in years. I would give this one a 10 if voting now, it has gotten better with time for me.

Chris

Probably my favourite album in stereo by Talking Heads over the years but not my favourite of the DVD-A series. Once in a Lifetime is surprisingly unengaging in 5.1 and Crosseyed and Painless seems like there just should have been more. Houses in Motion however is a highlight.

I just picked this up, along with 'More Songs About Buildings & Food' and 'Speaking In Tongues', all in the UK CD/DVD-A versions, but this is probably my all time favourite TH album. The mix is incredibly well done and the whole album sounds like it was made yesterday. Even now, some 20 odd years after they split, they are still ahead of their time.

A big fat 10 from me :)

The Overload in surround is a revelation for me... love the stuff panning around at the start...

Haunting....

This is my favourite TH album.... with ENO prodction and Adrian Belew as guest on GTR you can't go wrong...

Agree with all the positive comments. My personal fave TH since it was released and the surround brings fresh pleasures. Houses in Motion and The Overload have magic and majesty. Ten!

Before I came to QQ I had only heard "Once in a Lifetime" by Talking Heads (back in the day) and had no idea they had re-released their back catalog in surround. I bought this solely on the basis of the reviews here. It arrived yesterday and I have played it three times already. Without a doubt it is absolutely stunning! I'm so impressed that I immediately bought the rest of the 5.1 albums that are still available - shame that three or four of them now seem quite rare :( or I would have had the lot!

The music is timeless; hasn't ageed at all and could easily be a "modern release" but the surround mix is where it really shines. It's just incredible. Clean, precise, perfect use of surround!

Thanks again, QQ!

Before I came to QQ I had only heard "Once in a Lifetime" by Talking Heads (back in the day) and had no idea they had re-released their back catalog in surround. I bought this solely on the basis of the reviews here. It arrived yesterday and I have played it three times already. Without a doubt it is absolutely stunning! I'm so impressed that I immediately bought the rest of the 5.1 albums that are still available - shame that three or four of them now seem quite rare :( or I would have had the lot!

The music is timeless; hasn't ageed at all and could easily be a "modern release" but the surround mix is where it really shines. It's just incredible. Clean, precise, perfect use of surround!

Thanks again, QQ!

A very similar story to mine. I picked up 'Remain in Light' and the bug bit. I was very lucky and managed to get the entire set, but as you say, the final three albums seem to be in short supply. I only managed to get 'True Stories' through an act of incredible generosity from an eBay seller :)

They're all of the same standard and well worth seeking out :)

If you want them all - and aren't worried by dualdiscs....then.... you be "thick not to get the brick" :eek:

7228.jpg

Hmmm....A year or two ago you could still get it for the original price ($110 US) - IIRC...

I LOVE the Brick! eeeees soooooo priddy! :p

I got my Brick for about £60 (after conversion from the old U.S dollarini's.. I got it from an absolutely amazing guy in the U.S., I guess quite a few QQ guys know him, Robert MacDonald.. what he hasn't got ain't worth mentioning! I've got a lot of my very best Hi-Rez stuff at very fair prices from him.. though I don't think he's a member of QQ!? If he is, I wish he'd post! He's given me some great advice on good discs to look for and steered me in the right direction about things like the Spyro Gyra SACDs, etc.).

(I see you got the "Stage" DVDA then Mike!) (y)

I feel so stupid! I missed out on this phenomenal release when it was available. A day late and a dollar short!

Last edited:
Back