HiRez Poll Talking Heads - REMAIN IN LIGHT [DVD-A DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A DualDisc of Talking Heads - REMAIN IN LIGHT

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
I LOVE the Brick! eeeees soooooo priddy! :p

I got my Brick for about £60 (after conversion from the old U.S dollarini's.. I got it from an absolutely amazing guy in the U.S., I guess quite a few QQ guys know him, Robert MacDonald.. what he hasn't got ain't worth mentioning! I've got a lot of my very best Hi-Rez stuff at very fair prices from him.. though I don't think he's a member of QQ!? If he is, I wish he'd post! He's given me some great advice on good discs to look for and steered me in the right direction about things like the Spyro Gyra SACDs, etc.).

(I see you got the "Stage" DVDA then Mike!) (y)
I remember getting this when it came out...
I apparently paid $126:
Capture.JPG

What I especially love about the Talking Heads series is that, with Jerry Harrison closely involved, they did not take the reverent must-not-break-the-classic-album approach which, in my opinion, cripples most surround remixes.

Some parts which were muted on the original stereo mixes are now revealed for nice little surprises. The mixes (overall) are exciting and fun and if you want the purist version - flip it over and listen in stereo. (I think in the whole series the only change that bugs "me" is the quite loud synth/horn part at the back of I Zimbra.) Wonderful stuff! A treasury!

And of course, having participated in the original recordings (to say the least!), Harrison was also in a position to make sure the mixes stayed true to what the Band and producer(s) wanted out of the original mixes and perhaps (with the others' consent) able to push the mixes a bit, offer up what had to be buried or, at the time, didn't seem to work for them. That's what's fun about the Heads remixes in general: advanced recording technology that buried nuances in stereo, opened up nicely (if intelligently done) in quad or 5.1. It is a very fine series of discs.

ED :)

I finally picked this one up. Not sure why I waited so long as this is a tremendous album and is only elevated to a higher status in it's hi-rez transfer.

I gave it a 9 on the multi-channel mix only because I thought more could of been done on 'Once in a Lifetime'.

The album is a bit challenging for me in places, but I'm willing to give it more listens. The surround mix is the most vibrant and separated of the three I've heard so far (others are Little Creatures and True Stories). It certainly doesn't have a sterile deadness that some 5.1 Mixes bring to some albums, and it's not swamped in reverb either. Overload is about a minute and a half longer on the surround mix.

One of the best reviews of this disc happens to be in the booklet from Jerry Harrison:

Remain In Light was the first album we remixed for 5.1. It seemed to be the perfect place to start. The overlapping contrapuntal parts can now be heard in all their glory. From the three-dimensional swirl of "Once In A Lifetime" to the staggered choruses of "The Great Curve" to the hypnotic drone of "The Overload", Remain in Light is as dense an album as we ever produced, and I feel that these surround mixes bring these songs to a new level.

Couldn't agree more. A big '10' for this one, one of the best. A must have! :)

I'm a big fan of this album mix, which strikes a great balance between the live performance aspects of the production and the classic Eno-ish studio effects.

The first three tracks in particular really accentuate that they had a nine-piece band playing this material. Born Under Punches is spread out really well but still sounds super crispy. Likewise Crosseyed and Painless which really makes this sound like a Fela Kuti jam session on stage and probably benefits better than any track from the 5.1 separation. Great Curve puts the Belew solo right in the middle of everything which is kind of awesome. Collectively these three tracks make me think a mix of Eno/Byrne's My Life in the Bush of Ghosts would be great.

I like what they did with OIAL – its all about a tighter, crisper groove and the chorus vocal mix, bouncing the Eno vocals back and forth between the front and rear speakers. You can really hear all the guitar parts much more clearly as well.

The vocal mix on the chorus Houses In Motion sounds particularly different than the stereo mix with much less Byrne and much more Dolette McDonald/Nona Hendryx. Some nice subtle panning around of the clavinet parts as well.

Seen and Unseen is proto-hip hop all the way. Love all the watery sound effects Harrison and Eno add to this which really pop here. The 5.1 mix has a previously buried keyboard pulse in the lower mid-register near the end.

Listening Wind has always been super dreamy anyway, and I kind of admire how they keep the beat really tight and centered here and let all the other little touches that didn't really pop in the stereo mix come to the fore here instead. This sneakily has one of the best Belew solos on the record BTW.

And yes, more Overload is a great thing. Great guitar stuff at the end.

About the only other thing I wished was that they had mixed the bonus tracks on the CD part of the disc for surround as well!

I was listening to The Police surround and eventually couldn't stand it, put in this disc and Of of course DVD-A blows away DTS. This disc is so great, funky, rock, rhythmic, a 10 for me, in fact the entire Brick Box is a 10.

I was listening to The Police surround and eventually couldn't stand it, put in this disc and Of of course DVD-A blows away DTS. This disc is so great, funky, rock, rhythmic, a 10 for me, in fact the entire Brick Box is a 10.

Yes, Mark, the Brick IS awesome but are you aware that the Police: Every Breath You Take besides being released in lossy DTS 5.1 is also a multichannel SACD [superior, IMO, to the DTS version}: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000088NSZ/?tag=hraudio-20

A 10! No Doubt about it. Fantastic mix, fantastic content. Sounds really good with all the speakers used in the best way. And can be found pretty cheap so a must have!

Talking Heads at their Eno infused best. Reminds me of "My life in the bush of ghosts"
Now that would be a real trip in surround !!!!

Picked this up from Amazon recently for under $17.
Such a trip to hear in surround after almost 40 years after wearing it out on cassette in the car.

Eno was the man. Bowie -> Talking Heads -> U2, all the esoteric ambient side projects with Fripp, etc.
Pre-Crim Belew, whew!

Back