HiRez Poll Talking Heads - SPEAKING IN TONGUES [DVD-A DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A DualDisc of Talking Heads - SPEAKING IN TONGUES

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Originally available in the "Talking Heads Brick", which at the time of this thread origination heads the HiRezPoll, the seven discs were released individually some time later. Here's a chance to comment on the specific discs, as requested by some of our members.

So, please post your thoughts and comments on this DVD-A DualDisc! (y) :phones (n)

Attachments

• talking heads speaking in tounges.jpg
    talking heads speaking in tounges.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 519
This disc is worth the price for the big "hit" alone. The bonus track of "Burning Down the House" is about the best surround sound demo I can come up with when showing off the system. It's not "too old", it's not "too young", and the surround is very impressive.

Add to that the rest of the album and this one is a must have, IMHO. Even if you have no Talking Heads in your collection, if you are a surround fan, and listened to music in the '70s and '80s, you know this song, and you should own this disc.

Yes, this is a must have, I now own two of these, since I can't remember what I have ordered and haven't ordered in trying to pick up a few of The Talking Heads DualDiscs. This one is probably among the top two or three in the Brick. I have three of the eight now and although I have never been a big fan, these discs are superb.

Chris

This is one of those that was released as a double disc in the UK. Great music and stunning mix. Burning down the house a highlight certainly

A '9' for me...very well done, highly enjoyable and active mix. I think the live versions of a few tracks beat these studio recordings, but overall, excellent.

ED :)

In my opinion, the best of all the Heads discs. "Burning Down the House" is one great demo track. The music lent itself very well to the surround treatment, whereas '77 not so much.

The stereo DVD-A and CD mixes are both highly compressed, though they don't clip.

Also, comparing the two, the channels are reversed in one version compared to the other.

I've just picked this up on the UK CD/DVD-A format and it's a great addition to the collection. One of their finest long players, served up in a great 5.1 hi res mix. It sounds incredibly fresh, both in terms of the content and the audio quality. I'm off to complete my Talking Heads 5.1 collection! :)

Simply one of the best amongst the Talking Heads surround releases.

Starting off with "Burning Down the House", it has those great tom fills doing their thing in the surrounds, along with a nice taste of backing vocals and synthesizers. The middle section of the track is particularly a lot of fun. Very well done indeed!
The choruses of "Making Flippy Floppy" and "Girlfriend is Better" are also a lot of fun, plus you can clearly hear those excellent Tina Weymouth bass lines anchoring the front with the drums.
The percussion and backing vocals in the surrounds works very well on "Slippery People", and "I Get Wild/Wild Gravity" has a great atmosphere to it.
And now for one of my favorites…"Swamp". A lovely wonderful bass and drums foundation at the front, while the synths really shine through on this track, with a little bit of creative guitar work as well.
"Moonrocks" and "Pull Up the Roots" has some more fun with percussion and guitar work in the surrounds before finishing up nicely with "This Must Be The Place".

One of the most worthwhile Talking Heads surround discs out there. The groove and dance element of the music works perfectly in surround, which I guess is part of the reason this disc is so well received amongst the QQ community. Highly recommended! :)

So I haven't played this yet, but just flicking through, I can see that Slippery People is approx 35 seconds longer than the CD/Cassette stereo mix.

Burning Down the House wasn't a hit in the UK, and I wasn't familiar with it. The bonus 5.1 remix is a highlight! I liked the arrangement of the extended version and having it in good 5.1 was a decent bonus!

I love when I sit down for the first time with a surround mix and think to myself during the first song, "this song goes in the demo mix", and then it happens on the next one, and the one after that, until you finally end the album with an aural extravaganza that is all you'll ever need to convert anyone to surround (the alternate version of "Burnin Down The House"). This music feels like it was made for surround; it's a multichannel party and my speakers are dancing around the room! The mix is discrete, playfull, and phenomenal! The fidelity is crystal clear and uncompressed. I've always liked this album, but this presentation makes me love it! Looks like I'll have to get some more Talking Heads albums. 10.

This one is a solid 10 for me and the surround mix ranks right up there with Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots, Sea Change, and the new Steven Wilson Fragile surround mixes as one of my favorites. This fantastic, layered music just screams for a surround mix and in my opinion the result is perfect. I have the CD/DVD-A import.

Last edited:
Yowza! This is the last of the single releases from Brick that I wanted (I do not own Naked and True Stories). I may have saved the best for last (could be a photo phinish with Remain in Light). What makes this release especially impressive for me is that it immediately takes me back to the summer of '83. I had been drinking legally for a few years (just say know, thank you) and was hitting the club scene hard, trying to drink and dance my way through the Reagan years. Nearly every one of these tracks was on solid rotation in the Chicago clubs I frequented. I'm listening to the disc for the first time as I type through this review. It's late at night/early in the morning, which helps take me back to those HEADy daze; even more helpful is the fact that I am flying solo at home, so I'm shaking the windows and walls. The surround mix on this release is a lot of fun and my subwoofer is digging Tina's funky fine bass lines. Although the album is not my favorite TH release, for me it is the most fun--goofy, bouncy, come to take me home--and when poly tricks a la Ronny Reagunzap had helped this kountry to stop making sense (not really true: I hadn't really been comfortable since the spring of '68, but that's a different story for a different site) the polyrhythmic bump and grind of this release eased my mind and synthwashed me clean. Man, this mix really sets the scene, pounding through me--too much fun to keep typing away, so I thank you for your indulgence and continue burning down the house and bouncing my fiery hair in my recliner chair and leave you with a binary pair: 10

Last edited:
Yowza! This is the last of the single releases from Brick that I wanted (I do not own Naked and True Stories). I may have saved the best for last (could be a photo phinish with Remain in Light). What makes this release especially impressive for me is that it immediately takes me back to the summer of '83. I had been drinking legally for a few years (just say know, thank you) and was hitting the club scene hard, trying to drink and dance my way through the Reagan years. Nearly every one of these tracks was on solid rotation in the Chicago clubs I frequented. I'm listening to the disc for the first time as I type through this review. It's late at night/early in the morning, which helps take me back to those HEADy daze; even more helpful is the fact that I am flying solo at home, so I'm shaking the windows and walls. The surround mix on this release is a lot of fun and my subwoofer is digging Tina's funky fine bass lines. Although the album is not my favorite TH release, for me it is the most fun--goofy, bouncy, come to take me home--and when poly tricks a la Ronny Reagunzap had helped this kountry to stop making sense (not really true: I hadn't really been comfortable since the spring of '68, but that's a different story for a different site) the polyrhythmic bump and grind of this release eased my mind and synthwashed me clean. Man, this is one fun mix pounding through me--too much fun to keep typing away, so I thank you for your indulgence and continue burning down the house and bouncing my fiery hair in my recliner chair and leave you with a binary pair: 10

That BRICK was one of the BEST investments I ever made. I love ALL those discs.........And if I had to choose ....... why choose ...... they all have their own unique charms and sonic signatures. Well done.....BRAVO!

The Brick itself gets a 10! Not just another brick in the wall but rather a cornerstone of my music collection!

Last edited:
Yowza! This is the last of the single releases from Brick that I wanted (I do not own Naked and True Stories). I may have saved the best for last (could be a photo phinish with Remain in Light). What makes this release especially impressive for me is that it immediately takes me back to the summer of '83. I had been drinking legally for a few years (just say know, thank you) and was hitting the club scene hard, trying to drink and dance my way through the Reagan years. Nearly every one of these tracks was on solid rotation in the Chicago clubs I frequented. I'm listening to the disc for the first time as I type through this review. It's late at night/early in the morning, which helps take me back to those HEADy daze; even more helpful is the fact that I am flying solo at home, so I'm shaking the windows and walls. The surround mix on this release is a lot of fun and my subwoofer is digging Tina's funky fine bass lines. Although the album is not my favorite TH release, for me it is the most fun--goofy, bouncy, come to take me home--and when poly tricks a la Ronny Reagunzap had helped this kountry to stop making sense (not really true: I hadn't really been comfortable since the spring of '68, but that's a different story for a different site) the polyrhythmic bump and grind of this release eased my mind and synthwashed me clean. Man, this mix really sets the scene, pounding through me--too much fun to keep typing away, so I thank you for your indulgence and continue burning down the house and bouncing my fiery hair in my recliner chair and leave you with a binary pair: 10

Get Naked!

Back