HiRez Poll Callaway, Ann Hampton - BLUES IN THE NIGHT [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Ann Hampton Callaway - BLUES IN THE NIGHT

• 10: Great Mix, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Blues In The Night - Ann Hampton Callaway (Telarc SACD-63641)

A mix of ensemble and big band songs recorded direct to DSD. Another new SACD release from Telarc !

Please post your thoughts and comments! (y) :phones (n)

Blues In The Night - Ann Hampton Callaway (Telarc SACD-63641)

A mix of ensemble and big band songs recorded direct to DSD. Another new SACD release from Telarc !

Please post your thoughts and comments! (y) :phones (n)

This one's a lot of fun. Yet another Big Band Surround Sound SACD this season, recorded Direct to DSD as were the ones by the Count Basie Orchestra on Sony's Eighty-Eight's Jazz Label in Japan and the recent Sinatra Trubute Album by John Pizzarelli with the Clayton-Hamilton Big Jazz Band.

Track 1 starts the album out with a bang - watch the volume control there! :)

This jazz-cabaret singer draws heavily from the great American songbook, and this album contains several of them as well as original numbers. She's very talented, and there is a lot of range amongst these performances -- some laid back, and some that she really digs into.

This one may be a little too far outside my musical interests -- it's not bad and there are moments that I enjoy, but I just can't seem to get into it. I don't find the surround mix very engaging either, though there are certainly discrete elements in the rears (often horns). One standout track is the title tune, "Blues in the Night" -- very powerful stuff.

Still, on the whole it doesn't really grab me. A 7.

Mark Z

This jazz-cabaret singer draws heavily from the great American songbook, and this album contains several of them as well as original numbers. She's very talented, and there is a lot of range amongst these performances -- some laid back, and some that she really digs into.

This one may be a little too far outside my musical interests -- it's not bad and there are moments that I enjoy, but I just can't seem to get into it. I don't find the surround mix very engaging either, though there are certainly discrete elements in the rears (often horns). One standout track is the title tune, "Blues in the Night" -- very powerful stuff.

Still, on the whole it doesn't really grab me. A 7.

Mark Z

I like a few more tracks on this than the one you mention. And I do like the dynamics on the big band style numbers. Recommended for 5.1 SACD Surround fans from me !

I like a few more tracks on this than the one you mention. And I do like the dynamics on the big band style numbers. Recommended for 5.1 SACD Surround fans from me !

No objection there, it just doesn't grab me musically. Anyone who likes this sort of thing and hasn't yet checked out this particular disc might want to do so -- some reasonably priced copies still out there.

Back