Monster Music - Benson/Jarreau - Oct. 24

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Three Doors Down DVD. Musically it's kinda lame, but the mix is good. This will probably have much better sonics.

Cool! This one sounds very interesting. I was wondering where the rest of their releases were.

I just received my copy today in the mail. I ordered via Monster direct on line - $24.98 (free shipping in US & Canada!). The website makes no mention (at least any longer) of brick & mortar retailers so I guess on line is the way to go. It also doesn't mention that this is a numbered "limited edition" - mine is #4729. All that aside this is a pretty nice package - 2 discs - 1 stereo CD the other DVD - with Dolby 5.1, DTS 96/24 as well as pre-ripped WMA and AAC files for portables. Also inlcuded; DD "surround" headphone files, THX set-up test patterns for both audio and video, and making of documentary (also featured on line). Both Dolby and DTS are presented in 2 mixes - "In the Studio" and "In Your Room."

Musically it is a pretty relaxed and laid back affair - 2 pros who know how to make groovy pop-jazz without breaking much of a sweat. The playing is tight, the mix (I prefer the studio mix) is discrete, warm and enveloping. Guest artists include Jill Scott, Patti Austin and Macca getting down with his funky self on the final track, Sam Cooke's "Bring It On Home To Me." Benson and Jarreau redo a couple of their hits - "Breezin gets some lyrics and vocals courtesy of Jarreau. "Mornin'" get a smooth jazz makeover from Benson. Other standout tracks include Miles Davis' "Four" and "Tutu", Seals and Crofts "Summer Breeze" and Billie Holiday's "God Bless The Child" featuring Jill Scott on vocals. The players are all top notch including Marcus Miller, Stanley Clarke, Herbie Hancock and more. The only thing missing (IMHO) are some great horn charts. All in all a very solid 9 - a great middle of the road jazz title - perfect for jazz neophytes and anyone who wants to hear some great playing in surround - and did I mention McCartney?(y)

thanks elmer. i had originally missed reading your post. just saw a copy at best buy today and considered picking it up. after reading your post, think i just may. i'm quite happy with the vince guaraldi title from monster and am ready to try another.

thanks elmer. i had originally missed reading your post. just saw a copy at best buy today and considered picking it up. after reading your post, think i just may. i'm quite happy with the vince guaraldi title from monster and am ready to try another.

A worthwhile investment - nothing earth shattering but a well made title by 2 pros and an excellent surround mix. Nice package too! Enjoy.

Cool! This one sounds very interesting. I was wondering where the rest of their releases were.

I am pretty clueless about the Dolby headphone thing. What exactly was it developed to do?

Hello Jon,

Not sure if you ever picked up a copy of this or if you ever demo'ed the "Dolby Headphone Surround" files that are on the DVD. The second quote above is from the following thread: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5303&highlight=dolby+headphone+surround

One thing that I am sure of is that this is one of my favorite surround discs. If I ever get around to putting together my "Top 10" for that thread this would surely be on it. Anyway, the reason for this post is to call attention to the "Dolby Headphone Surround" files that are on this disc set.:phones I get home from work at 4:00am and as such everyone is sleeping quietly so I sit at the computer, or in the sweet spot, or watch TV with headphones on.

Just for the heck of it I just accessed these DHS files from the DVD in this set while at the computer and all I can say is WOW!!! the surround effect is totally freakin unbelievable:worthy through my Sennheiser HD 485's. It's a crying shame that this isn't offered on all DVD's as a listening option because it is truly the most awesome headphone listening experience that I have ever had.

I first listened to the Hi-Res stereo files and I thought those were impressive, then sitting here looking at the packaging I noticed the reference to the DHS again. I had noticed this before and thought it was just a gimmick and that there was no way to get a true surround effect from stereo headphones, but guess what? :yikes I stand corrected, if you have this disc and you haven't yet checked this out for yourself, you're in for a real treat. The trick is that you have to have the disc and the following attachments are the references in the booklet for how to access the files because it's not obvious just putting the disc into your computer and pulling up the video menus.

Attachments

• monster1.jpg
    monster1.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 317
  • monster2.jpg
    monster2.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 317
I just picked this up and I love the remake of "Summer Breeze".

All I can say folks is go get this disc. It is a great value and the sound is INCREDIBLE.

I hope Monster puts out more like it!!

Hello Jon,

Not sure if you ever picked up a copy of this or if you ever demo'ed the "Dolby Headphone Surround" files that are on the DVD. The second quote above is from the following thread: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5303&highlight=dolby+headphone+surround

One thing that I am sure of is that this is one of my favorite surround discs. If I ever get around to putting together my "Top 10" for that thread this would surely be on it. Anyway, the reason for this post is to call attention to the "Dolby Headphone Surround" files that are on this disc set.:phones I get home from work at 4:00am and as such everyone is sleeping quietly so I sit at the computer, or in the sweet spot, or watch TV with headphones on.

Just for the heck of it I just accessed these DHS files from the DVD in this set while at the computer and all I can say is WOW!!! the surround effect is totally freakin unbelievable:worthy through my Sennheiser HD 485's. It's a crying shame that this isn't offered on all DVD's as a listening option because it is truly the most awesome headphone listening experience that I have ever had.

I first listened to the Hi-Res stereo files and I thought those were impressive, then sitting here looking at the packaging I noticed the reference to the DHS again. I had noticed this before and thought it was just a gimmick and that there was no way to get a true surround effect from stereo headphones, but guess what? :yikes I stand corrected, if you have this disc and you haven't yet checked this out for yourself, you're in for a real treat. The trick is that you have to have the disc and the following attachments are the references in the booklet for how to access the files because it's not obvious just putting the disc into your computer and pulling up the video menus.

Wow! I never tried that. I'll have to give it a whirl.

Thanks for the high marks on the DHS files. I have this Monster disc (as well as the Charlie Brown Christmas) and also assumed that it would sound gimmicky. I, too will give it a try. As for the rest of the disc, I feel bad that Monster didn't have the resources or connections to create more titles as the sound on this is excellent and the mix is very enjoyable. Great music for a sunny afternoon drive in the country or along PCH. This title and other SuperDiscs are still in print, so grab em' while you can.

FYI, this is still available from Monster. Mine arrived yesterday, and I'll be listening this weekend.

There are a lot of choices. Everybody talks about Steven Wilson, but these Monster surround discs are the ultimate surround experience, with the Making Of, video and 5 choices of listening pleasure. I picked DTS Surround 96/24, In The Studio vs At Home versions. The In The Studio is a little funner, Jarreau's vocals swirl around speakers instead of starting right side on the At Home version. Either way if Monster Music made everything and the old DVD-A's with lyrics came back I would be happy.

There are a lot of choices. Everybody talks about Steven Wilson, but these Monster surround discs are the ultimate surround experience, with the Making Of, video and 5 choices of listening pleasure. I picked DTS Surround 96/24, In The Studio vs At Home versions. The In The Studio is a little funner, Jarreau's vocals swirl around speakers instead of starting right side on the At Home version. Either way if Monster Music made everything and the old DVD-A's with lyrics came back I would be happy.

Am it TOTAL and absolute agreement with you, Markie. Monster also tapped into a market sadly underdeveloped in the surround arena....namely JAZZ....[mainly*] from the Concord Music Label [now controlled by Universal Music Group].

The surround remixes of ALL their albums is uniformly superb....very tastefully and effectively done.

Glad I have them ALL.:banana:

[*Sketches of Spain was licensed from SONY]

Back