Music DVD Poll Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere.....but not here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Please rate the DVD-V disc "Arriving Somewhere.....but not here

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 2 - Poor Picture, mix and content

• 1 - Complete waste of plastic, don't bother!

• Total voters
Bought it last night at the merch booth of the Paris show (amazing show, read here for more details).

Audio is superb - what were you expecting anyway ? PCM 24 bits / 48 KHz is obviously solid and precise, and DTS 24 bits / 48 kHz is definitely surprising, as Neil had told earlier.

This is a very discrete surround mix, by far the most discrete mix I've heard on a concert DVD-V ! The approach is totally more like if it was a studio recording. Audience is quiet (except between songs), so I guess this is the reason it was possible to play like this and not getting the usual disappointing "audience and reverb in the rears".

It's no secret for PT fans that Steven Wilson would like to be a movie director one day and it shows on this DVD... editing and production are both very laboured, alterning a lot of angles and filtering (black and white, colour, "used" film effects...). Picture has this beautiful film look ("grainy" but not in the sense "bad compression"), and not at all the digital look.

All in all this DVD-V is a winner - I wasn't expecting less from PT but again they set the standards.

EDIT : maybe the surprise Neil was talking about is the fact that the center channel is not used at all... this is actually a 4.1 mix ! And I like that a lot, as far as I'm concerned !

Last edited:
Almost everything I expected of PT. Hopefully the documentary will follow soon. I was very impressed with the sound at Shepherd's Bush last Christmas and this representation is just as great. If I could I'd give it a 12 :)

~M~

It's no secret for PT fans that Steven Wilson would like to be a movie director one day and it shows on this DVD... editing and production are both very laboured, alterning a lot of angles and filtering (black and white, colour, "used" film effects...). Picture has this beautiful film look ("grainy" but not in the sense "bad compression"), and not at all the digital look.

All in all this DVD-V is a winner - I wasn't expecting less from PT but again they set the standards.

EDIT : maybe the surprise Neil was talking about is the fact that the center channel is not used at all... this is actually a 4.1 mix ! And I like that a lot, as far as I'm concerned !

The editing & production of the movie was all done by Lasse Hoile, not Steven - I don't know how much input Steven had here with the visuals, but I got the definite impression it is definitely Lasse's work - the man is a genius visually. Effect-laden to be sure - but it's been done so well.

You picked the surprise correctly - it is indeed Quad.1, with very limited centre channel use - all there is in centre are bursts of guitar every so often.

A lot of people complain that there is a noticeable layer break, in the middle of "So Called Friend". I know that some players handle that better than others but it seems not so good to have it mid-song.
(Still waiting to arrive ... here)

The editing & production of the movie was all done by Lasse Hoile, not Steven - I don't know how much input Steven had here with the visuals, but I got the definite impression it is definitely Lasse's work
This is something I wanted to add to my post. I know that Lasse is credited for the direction of the movie, but I'd be very surprised if the artistic direction wouldn't have been set - even partially - by Steven.

Anyway, as you pointed out - Lasse is a visual genius !

It's a 10. If anything defines the perfect concert DVD, this is it. When "Open Car" started I was getting tingles running down my spine which doesn't happen very often. Then "Blackest Eyes" kicked in. Heavier even than the studio version. Fantastic! The wide unwipable grin was firmly fixed. The bass is tremendous as well! Nice and low and tight. This will really give your sub a workout. In fact those without a sub will be missing a great deal I think. The drums are right up front. And everything else is where it should be. Very discrete. Yes, I am going to say it, the audio quality of this is better than any of their DVD-A's. No compression that I can detect. The instruments are very realistic. I got #1298 out of 2000, for what it's worth. Oh, and the video is very artistic as well. Best DVD I bought this year, so far................

It's a 10. If anything defines the perfect concert DVD, this is it. When "Open Car" started I was getting tingles running down my spine which doesn't happen very often. Then "Blackest Eyes" kicked in. Heavier even than the studio version. Fantastic! The wide unwipable grin was firmly fixed. The bass is tremendous as well! Nice and low and tight. This will really give your sub a workout. In fact those without a sub will be missing a great deal I think. The drums are right up front. And everything else is where it should be. Very discrete. Yes, I am going to say it, the audio quality of this is better than any of their DVD-A's. No compression that I can detect. The instruments are very realistic. I got #1298 out of 2000, for what it's worth. Oh, and the video is very artistic as well. Best DVD I bought this year, so far................

So I guess it came in the mail?:D

A lot of people complain that there is a noticeable layer break, in the middle of "So Called Friend". I know that some players handle that better than others but it seems not so good to have it mid-song.
(Still waiting to arrive ... here)

I am also having this problem. In fact the interruption is so long that the input to my receiver seems to change from my DVD Player to my receiver. So on layer one my DVD player is doing the decoding and after the layer change my receiver is doing the decoding. First time I have seen that. It actually switches input channels. So I made a copy on a SL disc with just the video and the DTS audio and the video does not seem to have been affected at all. It also gets rid of the layer change, of course.

My "limited edition" numbered (1775) copy just arrived today. Popped it in and was quite pleased. The sound and mix are topnotch. All of the instruments have tremendous presence - especially the excellent rhythm section.

The visuals were OK - Porcupine Tree aren't exactly the most visually dynamic performers - the direction and effects keep things moving - but as Neil says, its all about the music here - fantastic - a 10 for audio, 8 for visual and a 9 overall. Can't wait to see them on Oct. 6 at the Nokia Times Square Theater.

The visuals were OK - Porcupine Tree aren't exactly the most visually dynamic performers

The visuals are what Porcupine Tree want them to be I am sure. They could have had HD but they added the grain and black and white etc because that's the way that they wanted it. You are right the kick-ass audio makes this.

No complaints about the quality of the video or the effects - I sort of like the grainy B & W stuff and the quick cuts add movement to the overall feel of the concert. Without those, I think that the concert would appear a bit static (visually)- these are all minor criticisms in the grand scheme - the sound is fantastic and video is watchable. The Dream Theater XX concert is far better from a visual band performance perspective but I much prefer PT for the superior sound (and less bombast).

echo every ones sentiments on the sound quality, it is slightly dissappointing that the layer change could not have been better placed at the end of one song however on my player its only a slight pause but it is jarring.

Excellent sound 12/10 visuals OK 8/10 so overall 10/10 the bonus material is excellent as well.

I much prefer PT for the superior sound (and less bombast).

I still can't believe how good the sound is on this one and I am on my 5th listen. Of all the concerts that I have I can't remember any one making such a huge impression on me sonically. I love the "balls to the wall" approach while keeping all the nuances. This is definately my new reference disc.

And the 2 disc set to boot! I was going to wait and pick it up at the show, but the reviews are too good to wait. Thanks for the link!

And the 2 disc set to boot! I was going to wait and pick it up at the show, but the reviews are too good to wait. Thanks for the link!

Neil, can you tell us if this is the same set as the Burning Shed one? Or is the second disc here on the domestic release a CD?

Even if it is the same set (sans the postcards and the numbering of course), I couldn't have waited for another month to get this (including shipping time). Even if I am going to save $9 or thereabouts.

Back