Five Point One- by Cornelius

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zabble

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
This one sure flew under the radar screen. Released in early 2004, I remember seeing this at a Tower Records and almost bought it. I found it again for very cheap and decided to finally give it a whirl.

I put this in the player last night with very low expectations. The cover art is drab and gives no real indication as to what kind of music is on the disc. As it turns out, Cornelius is a Japanese artist who turns out some nice innovative, almost child-like tracks. I can't really describe the music very easily and will only say that the surround mix couldn't be any more discrete. There are little bursts of sound coming from every speaker mixed in a very playful sort of way. Instruments are primarily drums, acoustic guitar, sythesizer/keyboards, soft harmonies, and samples (one memorable sample is the sound of water drops bouncing from speaker to speaker very musically in the song "Drop"). Different sounds bounce back and forth between each speaker, almost as if each was located inside your speaker waiting for their turn to emanate for a few seconds then shut up for a bit only to speak out again at the right cue. It's not all frenetic like say Morton Subotnick; there are stable instruments that stay put for great lengths of time.

I realize my description may be a bit awkward, so here's a link with more descriptions:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...60700?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

The surround tracks are dts (no DD). There is a bonus cd of stereo remixes (which I have not heard) and videos to go along with all of the surround tracks (or was it the other way around?). I'm not a video fan, but these are not typical. They're creative and actually go with the music.

Overstock.com has it for $11.56:

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?cid=75706&PAGE=PRODUCT&PROD_ID=698685&fp=F

I know everybody is not going to like this, but it is certainly a well produced surround soundscape, worthy of consideration.

Wow, I missed this one but loved his "Fantasma" CD from back in '98 or so...that one is well worth picking up. It's a very interesting amalgam; I've heard wide-ranging influences such as the Beach Boys, Disney music, Black Sabbath and hip-hop name-checked. I've also heard him described as "the Japanese Todd Rundgren", so there you go. I'll definitely have to check out this release...

I picked this up the other day based on this post - a great find! Very lush Pop with elements of electronica, paste and cut sampling, and beautiful vocal harmonies. This is very adventurous but if you have a spare $10 - $15 you will be rewarded. It is a very discrete DTS surround mix which will give your sub a work-out. I think that this would make a great demo disc - clever videos -especially "Drop" - simple yet mesmerizing.

It has a special feature called "personal surround" which creates a "spatial 3D" effect for standard stereo headphones - it's OK but nothing to get too excited about.

If you're a fan of Beck, Flaming Lips, Super Furry Animals, this is for you. Just a note, I found this in the video section - comes in a super jewel plus DVD case (same as the AIX titles)(y)

I've got to thank Zabble for pointing this one out. I got it on Ebay for $1.47 + $5 S&H = $6.47!!!

I had heard "Fantasma" by Cornelius, and though it didn't strike me musically, the sounds on the album were amazing - NOT conventional, but very creative.

I would not recommend this to just anyone - these aren't songs you'll learn to play on acoustic guitar in a coffee shoppe - but this is like the aural equivalent of modern art. It's not too avant-garde, or too electronica, or too experimental, but it's a little of all of those things.

If you want to give meaningless, unpredictable candy to your ears, pick this up.

So if you're starved for surround, check it out. Thanks again, Zabble.

Paul

Glad you liked it too. I was surprised nobody had mentioned it before. It gives me hope that there may be other surround sleepers out there waiting to be discovered.

Just ordered it. sounds cool.:)

I hope you like it. I just listened to it again tonight. Strange, beautiful music (but not in the Satriani kind of way). I mentioned electronica in my last email, but really the sounds are pretty organic. Frequent acoustic guitar, and the drums are VERY real. They sound like they're in the room with you.

But, again, this isn't hummable stuff. Pure ear candy.

I bought this when it first came out in 2004 and I agree that it is an incredible surround title. It is aggressive, fun and very entertaining. Certainly an overlooked gem!

This is GREAT surround music. I really like this title, the surround mix is fantastic and i like the music.
Thanks for the post on this one, I would have never found it otherwise.:banana: :banana: :banana:

well, as expected quite an acquired taste. sometimes the dvd seems to me all sound and no music but has some fun elements.

the remix-cd on the other hand is in parts basically unlistenable, gives me a headache :mad:@:

The first 5.1 album I purchased, and still my favorite. Incredibly original music, mix, and visuals. A solid 10/10 in every way.
Each song is its own burst or creativity.
A bit better than his next one "Sensurround" - but it's great too.

Amazon link

The first 5.1 album I purchased, and still my favorite. Incredibly original music, mix, and visuals. A solid 10/10 in every way.
Each song is its own burst or creativity.
A bit better than his next one "Sensurround" - but it's great too.

Amazon link

I had "Sennsurround"cd/dvd, but damn it, it would not play-would not read and my pioneer reads just about anything.Took it back to my vendor and he too could not call it up!
So now it's spooked me off this artist's discs I'm afraid.

(I wonder if it was secam encoded ? My player has no problem with pal)

Hmm, I had Sensurround and it played fine. I lost it (I guess) and have re-ordered it. We shall see.
The FIVE POINT ONE disc says on the back "NTSC region 1,3,4,5,6 compatible," for what it's worth. It's DVD-Video, DTS, with the headphone personal surround thing which I've never tried.

This one sure flew under the radar screen. Released in early 2004, I remember seeing this at a Tower Records and almost bought it. I found it again for very cheap and decided to finally give it a whirl.

I put this in the player last night with very low expectations. The cover art is drab and gives no real indication as to what kind of music is on the disc. As it turns out, Cornelius is a Japanese artist who turns out some nice innovative, almost child-like tracks. I can't really describe the music very easily and will only say that the surround mix couldn't be any more discrete. There are little bursts of sound coming from every speaker mixed in a very playful sort of way. Instruments are primarily drums, acoustic guitar, sythesizer/keyboards, soft harmonies, and samples (one memorable sample is the sound of water drops bouncing from speaker to speaker very musically in the song "Drop"). Different sounds bounce back and forth between each speaker, almost as if each was located inside your speaker waiting for their turn to emanate for a few seconds then shut up for a bit only to speak out again at the right cue. It's not all frenetic like say Morton Subotnick; there are stable instruments that stay put for great lengths of time.

I realize my description may be a bit awkward, so here's a link with more descriptions:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...60700?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

The surround tracks are dts (no DD). There is a bonus cd of stereo remixes (which I have not heard) and videos to go along with all of the surround tracks (or was it the other way around?). I'm not a video fan, but these are not typical. They're creative and actually go with the music.

Overstock.com has it for $11.56:

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?cid=75706&PAGE=PRODUCT&PROD_ID=698685&fp=F

I know everybody is not going to like this, but it is certainly a well produced surround soundscape, worthy of consideration.[/QUOT

I read your note I had never heard of it
So I brought a copy I think it is one of the best Surround disc,s I have heard in years
It is clever and has very good Music
I know every one has there own idea on what is music
But I enjoyed it
Thank you for putting it on the site
Ron

Back