HiRez Poll Cash, Johnny - AT FOLSOM PRISON [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Johnny Cash - AT FOLSOM PRISON

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this SACD from SONY. (y) :phones (n)

Just ambience as far as I can tell. It's not bad, certainly the best that I've heard it. Not sure what the original tape is like - just a 3 track?

Almost no use of surrounds at all (even the applause is up front???). :(
On a positive note the SACD stereo tracks process very well in PLII.

Couldn't agree more, I'm not even sure what the point of them trying was....sounds a bit better than the regular cd, but not much. I give it a 10 as an album, but only a 5 for the sacd version (not much improvement here).

I agree this sounds better than other sources I've heard. Just nothing going on in the surrounds.
I understand this is an historic recording, and, as such, it is fun to listen to.
Still, not my favorite JC songs, generally. Sounds like he had some throat trouble at certain points that day.
Not a big deal. I recommend picking this up if you can find it cheap, like I did. Don't go crazy on this.

Was the original a 3 track master? If it was, it's worth the caveat that the multichannel delivery format as used to deliver it would be more about preserving the original (and original separation) than updating it to a more discrete surround experience.

Like the Miles 3 track masters released that way. They are NOT surround mixes! They are 3 track recordings with the aim of a stereo instrumental bed with a controllable solo channel. The multichannel format (usually used for surround sound) is re-purposed to deliver this.

Back