DVD-A & SACD Lookout List!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
It seems that many of the SACDs and DVD-A discs that have been released since 2000 are getting hard to find. However, there are still copies tucked away in local store back corners and such, even if they are at "list" price or close to list.

If QQ members are looking for specific titles, and other QQ members stumble upon them, we might want to help each other out.

Of course, we could always eBay stuff, but why not help a QQ brother out?

So, let's try this. QQ Members can post the titles that they are looking for in this thread. If someone else finds it locally, online, or somewhere else (eBay, etc), they can respond either via PM or in this thread.

This way, if someone goes out looking and finds a title that someone else has seen posted here, they can bag it for them.

One thing to remember, if you post a title here for others to look for, EXPECT TO PAY RETAIL PRICE PLUS SHIPPING. If someone gets it for cheaper, the more power to both parties.

Also, any transactions are between the two members and are not guaranteed by QQ (or me!) :D It's up to you guys to "get it done".

Go forth and search! :smokin

It seems that many of the SACDs and DVD-A discs that have been released since 2000 are getting hard to find. However, there are still copies tucked away in local store back corners and such, even if they are at "list" price or close to list.

If QQ members are looking for specific titles, and other QQ members stumble upon them, we might want to help each other out.

Of course, we could always eBay stuff, but why not help a QQ brother out?

So, let's try this. QQ Members can post the titles that they are looking for in this thread. If someone else finds it locally, online, or somewhere else (eBay, etc), they can respond either via PM or in this thread.

This way, if someone goes out looking and finds a title that someone else has seen posted here, they can bag it for them.

One thing to remember, if you post a title here for others to look for, EXPECT TO PAY RETAIL PRICE PLUS SHIPPING. If someone gets it for cheaper, the more power to both parties.

Also, any transactions are between the two members and are not guaranteed by QQ (or me!) :D It's up to you guys to "get it done".

Go forth and search! :smokin

I'm not sure what's on the "lookout list", but I would suggest that Surround fans check out web stores like Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc, Music Direct, CD Universe and Amazon.Com (among others). They do stock many SACD and DVD-A discs to this day via the web.

I mentioned in another thread how I have picked up a few discs recently at reasonable prices. Google checkout can be used at Buy.com and CD Universe to get $10 off a $30 purchase until 10.31.06. I also picked up the Phil Spector "Back to Mono" CD box set new a Buy.com for a little less than $10 this way. Just buy discs > $30 and use Google Checkout and the $10 discount appears. Many of the DVD-A's are $13 to $18 and SACD's about the same before discount. I have used the method at Buy.com twice now and assume there is no limit. I believe other sites have this option as well. I have no idea what the catch is or what in the world Google Checkout is supposed to achieve, other than this promo to get people to sign up. Free shipping at Buy.com as well and the selection is pretty good although about half the listed titles are not in stock. Make sure you only buy in-stock titles as I don't think it would work with out of stock.

I have accumulated about 30 duplicates over the last 6 months I am going to hold on to and try to trade when I determine the titles I want and couldn't find. Finding SACD/DVD-A/DualDiscs is a pain this way, but other than the rare Queen and Deep Purple DVD-A and a couple of others, I am getting there.

Chris

I checked a few places today looking for the Fagens, and didn't see the Kamakiriad, only a few Nightfly Test Market DualDiscs at a Music for a Song.

I checked a few places today looking for the Fagens, and didn't see the Kamakiriad, only a few Nightfly Test Market DualDiscs at a Music for a Song.

They have 500 of them but that is the only place that had "Nightfly" on any form of DVD-A that I could find when I recently bought mine, at a much higher price then they sell for now. Kamakiriad is missing in action for sure. Dylan passed on this so I will mention it if anyone else is looking for Kamakiriad it is new and sealed on eBay from a reputable seller but it isn't going to be cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Donald-Fagen-Ka...ryZ58690QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Chris

You might check Fry's Electronics. The Fry's Electronics stores in this area have many of the early WEA DVD-A titles that are now hard to find.

If any one sees a copy of Donald Fagen's "Kamakiriad" DVD-A, please pick it up for me.

Still a few in Australia - AUD$29 at JB HiFi. Happy to pick em up for you but not sure how exchange monies? Maybe we could trade for CD's at Your Music which we can't access?

Cheers

Martin

I'm curious, are DVD-A disks reagonalized?

I seem to recall I have stumbled onto a couple of DVD-A's that were region coded but my Kamakiriad is definitely not. The DVD-V portion would obviously be the issue if there is a region coded DVD-A. The Australian release should be identical to mine. Australia has some unique laws concerning what DVD hardware manufacturers must do so I am not sure what region coding means but Oceania is region 4. Australia is PAL-B so maybe someone else can explain how things work in Australia.

Here is a link to an Australian seller that shows it to be NTSC and all region:

http://www.dvdorchard.com.au/Static/103311.asp

The Australian reviews aren't great which may explain why it is still available in Australia.

Chris

There is a small handful of DVD-A's left at the local Best Buy (I just bought Tommy and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road last week, and three of the Neil Young hi-res discs I wanted to get were scooped up) and quite a few SACD's, including three on Audio Fidelity:

Mel Torme
Richie Valens

and another one I can't remember off the head, these are $15.99 or so. I was thinking of getting the Richie Valens one myself. I know they have quite a few Elton John titles and a number of Columbia titles. I'll have to go back, write them down and be sure.

Is anyone looking for a copy of the Chicago II DVD-A?

There is a copy at one of the local record stores, and I think this is one of the disks that is hard to find.

Trip to Best Buy found the following today (I passed on them):

Metallica Black
Ryan Adams ???
Beach Boys Pet Sounds
Fleetwood Mac Rumors
Beck Guero
Neil Young Harvest
Tommy SACD and DVD-A
Some of the Dylan SACD's
Roger Waters - Berlin DVD-A
NIN - Downward Spiral DD and Double Disc
Flaming Lips Yoshimi and Soft Bulletin
Police DTS Every Breath
Rolling Stones - Sympathy single

probably some I forgot...

Is anyone looking for a copy of the Chicago II DVD-A?

There is a copy at one of the local record stores, and I think this is one of the disks that is hard to find.

I'd love this disc, nothing in the local stores and a google gave me squat.

I'll PM you, Dylan.

thanks,

btw:

My local Newbury Comics has a very large back catalog of Porcupine Tree releases. I can get almost any CD and the Deadwing DTS DVD-A.

Last edited:
I'd love this disc, nothing in the local stores and a google gave me squat.

I'll PM you, Dylan.

thanks,

btw:

My local Newbury Comics has a very large back catalog of Porcupine Tree releases. I can get almost any CD and the Deadwing DTS DVD-A.
I will pick it up for you tomorrow.

Hey everybody - do an ebay search of "dvd audio" - a couple sellers have just listed a whole BUNCH of DVDAs - including many of those we've discussed lately as becoming rare:
Donald Fagen - Kamakiriad
America - Homecoming
McCartney - Band On The Run (DTS)
Chicago - both II and V
And there are some discs I rarely see on ebay, like Hootie And The Blowfish "Cracked Rear View" and Crowded House S/T.

Good luck!

If anyone comes across another copy of the Chicago II DVD-A or the America Homecoming DVD-A, I'd be very interested. I'm currently pursuing these on ebay but I expect them to get expensive in a hurry.

Thanks!

If anyone comes across another copy of the Chicago II DVD-A or the America Homecoming DVD-A, I'd be very interested. I'm currently pursuing these on ebay but I expect them to get expensive in a hurry.

Thanks!
The same store I think has a copy of the America DVD-A.

I will look tomorrow.

Back