HiRez Poll Depeche Mode - SONGS OF FAITH AND DEVOTION [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Depeche Mode - SONGS OF FAITH AND DEVOTION

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this SACD release. Also, if you don't mind, please let us know where you bought it from, and what price you paid. THANKS

(y) :phones (n)

R-1254137-1472334452-2763.png.jpg

R-1254137-1473015749-7095.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just found reasonably priced stock of these, so this completes my DM SACD collection.

It's a great release, who would guess it's been recorded 17 years ago now? The 5.1 mix has everything that you'd hope for with an electronic artist, but at the same time do not worry that it would go over the top when it comes to discreteness or sound gimmickery. The album material is far from boring, although you could miss really big hits (but you still get I Feel You, Walking In My Shoes and Condemnation), and similarly varied is the mix. While maybe lacking some punch, it's spacious, creative and thoroughly appropriate.

SOFAD is hardly the most accessible collection of tunes in the band's discography, but this multi-channel re-mix doesn't disappoint one bit (pun intended!).
Easily, you just gotta love the package - if only for its design.

More than solid 8.

Just saw someone vote on this and figured I'd chime in. I haven't heard the straight SACD mix, only a downmix to DTS, so I can really only comment on the separation and soundfield here. This was a completely underwhelming mix of one of my favorite albums of all time. There is so much more that could be done with what the album offers. Tracks like "Rush," "Walking in My Shoes," etc., should be whizzing around your head at all times and just don't. the DM mixes were better when they worked with earlier, simpler material, or with their last two albums. the mixes for their "classic" period, though, and incredibly dissapointing. 4 out of 10 from me.

Just found reasonably priced stock of these, so this completes my DM SACD collection.

With the exception of SOFAD, I own all the Depeche Mode SACD's from "Music for the Masses" to "Playing The Angel".
For the past couple of years or so, I haven't been able to acquire a copy of SOFAD.
It must have been their biggest seller in their catalog or they didn't make enough copies of this particular title.
Where did you find it?

Hi,
I'm new to this (great) forum!
I am also desperately looking for SOFAD SA-CD at a reasonable price. Could you please PM me where to find it?
Your help would me very much appreciated.
Thks

Hi,
I'm new to this (great) forum!
I am also desperately looking for SOFAD SA-CD at a reasonable price. Could you please PM me where to find it?
Your help would me very much appreciated.
Thks

Bestbuy claimed to have SOFAD SACD, I ordered & received redbook CD of 'Some Great Reward' by DM instead. Offcourse I did not consider it as 'reward'... returned it.

(n)

I doubt they have it.

For me this is/was one of the more disappointing DM sourround albums... Just can't get into this one...7...

Listening to this one for the first time now on SACD - will vote later but I just wanted to say that the first track (Walking in My Shoes) sounds like utter garbage - compressed, loud, muddy.

But it has to be the sound they were going for on that song as the rest of the album seems to be much better. It's not really an audiophile album to start with but I'm enjoying the mix right now.

Listening to this one for the first time now on SACD - will vote later but I just wanted to say that the first track (Walking in My Shoes) sounds like utter garbage - compressed, loud, muddy.

But it has to be the sound they were going for on that song as the rest of the album seems to be much better. It's not really an audiophile album to start with but I'm enjoying the mix right now.

It was also a completely unadventurous mix for this album, which is up there as one of my favorite DM albums. So much going on on these songs, and nowhere near enough separation in the surround mix to deliver that to the listener. My 4 of 10 still holds. These DM mixes really didn't click until the last couple of albums.

Finally was able to get a copy of the sacd+dvd version of this album (for less than $50 used), so I'll post my thoughts on the sacd later ;)

Great find GabeL :)

you know you've made me think on about this one and I don't think I've ever played my SACD of it, as I picked it up by chance in a thrift store, it went on the pile and got buried under a load of other stuff I was more interested in! Oops..! :eek:

..Time to give it a spin at last methinks! :p

Great find GabeL :)

you know you've made me think on about this one and I don't think I've ever played my SACD of it, as I picked it up by chance in a thrift store, it went on the pile and got buried under a load of other stuff I was more interested in! Oops..! :eek:

..Time to give it a spin at last methinks! :p

I look forward to your review fredblue (hey, that rhymes) ;)

Most DM fans hold this album up with Violator as some of their best work. As a lifelong DM fan, I have to confess that it isn't quite up there in my opinion. Song wise, there are some belters, no doubt, and the building pain and anguish in Dave's vocal across the album is both beautiful and tragic, more so when you realise the personal pain that powered that performance. But for me, it lacks the consistency of the three previous albums (Black Celebration, Music for the Masses and Violator). From a surround POV, it's as good as all the others and exposes the detailed layering of sounds and vocals that seemed to get lost in the stereo mixes.

And I wish they'd release a 5.1 mix of the SOFAD live album, if only to satisfy my completist OCD ;)

(and don't get me started on the lack of a 5.1 Delta Machine mix :howl )

Most DM fans hold this album up with Violator as some of their best work. As a lifelong DM fan, I have to confess that it isn't quite up there in my opinion. Song wise, there are some belters, no doubt, and the building pain and anguish in Dave's vocal across the album is both beautiful and tragic, more so when you realise the personal pain that powered that performance. But for me, it lacks the consistency of the three previous albums (Black Celebration, Music for the Masses and Violator). From a surround POV, it's as good as all the others and exposes the detailed layering of sounds and vocals that seemed to get lost in the stereo mixes.

And I wish they'd release a 5.1 mix of the SOFAD live album, if only to satisfy my completist OCD ;)

(and don't get me started on the lack of a 5.1 Delta Machine mix :howl )

"shout.. shout.. let it all out..!!" :p

Back