HiRez Poll Hiromi - BRAIN [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Hiromi - BRAIN

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Fidelity, Bad Mix, Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this HiRez surround release.

(y) :phones (n)

A well recorded jazz disc with some complex and interesting music. Lots of synthesized sounds make this something out of the ordinary -- if you're a fan of electronica you may enjoy it. I agree with Beached in that some tracks make better use of the surround channels than others. My ears vote 8.

Mark Z

Excellent sonics and musicianship. Most of the tunes are piano trio with the band to the front and ambient 'verb in rears. However the few tunes with synth are more adventurous with the synth actively hopping about. I think all the mix choices are effective and appropriately serve the music. She's quite a versatile and adept composer as evident from the contrasts in style from track to track. And, of course, a brilliant improviser and technician. The opening track (Kung-Fu World Champion) is the standout for me. 9

I'm a fan of Hiromi. Great musician. She really shakes up the -sometimes too lethargic for my tastes- Jazz genre.

And her style should appeal to some Prog Rock afficionados.

Back