HiRez Poll Beatles - LOVE [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of The Beatles - LOVE (Soundtrack)

• Total voters
Last weekend i visited an electronic market (SATURN) and saw a 4K-TV-screen with a demo-video.
WOW, that impressed me very much. The price was just a bit too high for me (35.000€), but i know in some years i can afford it.

Then i went on to the room with the "good" HIFI-stuff.
All the speakers stood in one row and i heard silly music in bad quality.

On the way home i thought about the boring presentation of music systems and that i only found there one DVD-A with surround music.

If they would use this room for demonstrating a good 5.1 Music System, presenting music that people know from the radio, there would be the WOW-effect.
And "LOVE" in 5.1 could be the material to impress the generation 40+ !

I bought my first 5.1 speaker set in 2001 and used it just for movies and some live-DVD`s.
Many years later, maybe 2008, i bought "Around the sun" from R.E.M. as CD/DVD.
I first heard the CD and was disappointed because the music bored me.
Later i put the DVD in my player looking for videos or bonus material and heard for the first time "real" surround-music.
That album was still boring music for me but it sounded so delicious and different in 5.1, even with my cheap little speakers !
Then i started looking for more of that 5.1 studio mixes and found nothing. In stores nobody knew anything about DVD-A or SACD.

I gave up 5.1 music for a while until i got interested in progressive rock, starting with Porcupine Tree.
And then i searched for more prog in the internet and found more and more great albums with surround mix.
New AV-receiver, new SACD/DVD-A player, new speakers, new CD/SACD/DVD-A/Blu-Ray.
This hobby ist a lot of fun for me, but without internet i would have never known what is possible and available for so many years.

Coming back to "LOVE" !
I love my CD`s Seargent Pepper and Abbey Road, so many good songs on this albums.
But hearing the same songs on this DVD-A is a completly different experience, a big adventure!
In my opinion much better then the old stereo mix. Of course I vote 10 for it.

In Germany you can buy this CD/DVD-Set for 15€ at the moment ( jpc.de / amazon.de )

WOW! I'm totally impressed. Like many I've been a Beatles fan for fifty years now and never tire of listening to their music. I picked this up off eBay for $10 and was looking forward to hearing the 5.1 remix. I had no idea what the Martins had really put together with Love until just now and I love it! I'm looking forward to having the CD in my iTunes collection now as well, just for general listening, as the re-master/mix in stereo is awesome on its own.

This is the first 5.1 title I bought, before I had 5.1. Listened to it on a friend's system and it convinced me to invest in an amp and some extra speakers (I already had a universal player - our first DVD player - which I'd bought on the basis of it being able to play DVD-A and SACD before I had any discs.)

I've been listening to it again, recently (including tonight) and when I played some of it the other night it left me really excited about the experience, which I seem to rarely get - on that level at least - these days.

This is the first 5.1 title I bought, before I had 5.1. Listened to it on a friend's system and it convinced me to invest in an amp and some extra speakers (I already had a universal player - our first DVD player - which I'd bought on the basis of it being able to play DVD-A and SACD before I had any discs.)

I've been listening to it again, recently (including tonight) and when I played some of it the other night it left me really excited about the experience, which I seem to rarely get - on that level at least - these days.

Now-get your hands on some Steely Dan stuff-or Fagen stuff in 5.1.

Now-get your hands on some Steely Dan stuff-or Fagen stuff in 5.1.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've never listened to much of their/his stuff, so I'm not sure if I'd like it. If it's not going for crazy $$$ it might be worth a go.

I've never really understood why the vinyl version has the edited versions of USSR and Revolution, especially as side 3 has a clean start, rather than a straight entry from the segue point from side 2.

I jumped on this at release time. I still am amazed at the genuine mix quality and sonics on these songs. I just think this is a real treat for any Beatle fan. Just super fun to listen to and yeah, you can jam with this one. 10!

Friday at the Princeton Record Exchange I saw the DTS 5.1 of Gaucho and the DVD-a of Nightfly. Didn't really notice the prices (I have them already). If you happen to be in central Jersey, it's a trip worth taking whether or not you want those exact titles.

I can't get the "proper" DVD Audio track so can only rely on the DVD Video 5.1 track, but this is simply outstanding.

I love this disc. I’ve had it since the day of its release but have somehow not voted on it before now. I have no problem with the mashup concept since this was created specifically for a theatrical event (which I’ll finally be seeing in March!). It is fun trying to suss out the sources for the various mashup snippets but the real joy for me is hearing the unmodified original arrangements (save for some intros and outros) in 5.1 (such as “Something”, “Here Comes the Sun”, “Revolution”).

“Walrus” is a highlight for me. I was wondering how they’d handle the second half of the tune which was not mixed in true stereo at the time due to the radio broadcast being flown in live during the mixing of the mono. So I was delighted to hear 5.1 throughout! I read later that they were able to track down a recording of the same King Lear radio broadcast which allowed them to create the surround mix using all the discrete stems.

Yeah, it’s a shame we can’t get the Beatles core catalogue mixed in surround. Particularly when this disc demonstrates how fantastic the results could be. I’m not too optimistic at this point particularly considering how disappointingly conservative Gile Martin’s 5.1 mix was for the Magical Mystery Tour blu-ray. Oh well. At least for now we have this marvelous release. A perfect 10 for me.

I had the pleasure of seeing this show last week and cannot recommend it highly enough. Just spectacular. You could watch it a 100 times and still not take in all the action. It is a stunning show.

If you get there early you are treated to about 35 minutes of unreleased Beatles instrumental mixes. These are fascinating and contain many elements from the multis not present in the final versions. For instance, “I’m Only Sleeping” features the backward guitars throughout the entire piece (cool!) and many tunes will play out with no fades.

As for the show itself the marriage between music and action is flawless. Mashups and other edited components in the music (which may seem odd when isolated) make perfect sense when paired with the visuals - and always to great dramatic effect. There’s perhaps 15-20 minutes of additional music/speech in the show not found on the soundtrack. This consists of extended intros/outros, studio banter and short links. All great stuff but understandably expendable. There was, however, a beautiful string prelude prior to “While My Guitar…” which I’ll assume was arranged by George Martin (since he arranged the song) that was a nice surprise.

Finally, my wife and I have a friend who worked on the production so we were fortunate enough to get a private backstage tour. What fun! Here are a few photos.

pepper drums.jpg

crash beetle.jpg

setting stage.jpg

Back