HiRez Poll Beatles - LOVE [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of The Beatles - LOVE (Soundtrack)

• Total voters
Very cool pictures! Thanks.

You are right about the pre-show music. I found it fascinating. Too bad they didn't release that music as a bonus deluxe extra disc. It's been about 5 years since I saw that show, and seeing the white Volkswagen and the rest of your pictures brought a lot of it back to me.

"He blew his mind out in a car"

If you get there early you are treated to about 35 minutes of unreleased Beatles instrumental mixes. These are fascinating and contain many elements from the multis not present in the final versions. For instance, “I’m Only Sleeping” features the backward guitars throughout the entire piece (cool!) and many tunes will play out with no fades.

I tried to "capture" the instrumentals when we were there about 5 years ago. Unfortunately the cellphone wasn't up to the task...

Was that your first time hearing a 25.4-channel mix?

Andy

I stand corrected Daved64. All these years I assumed it was a slide guitar. After initially thinking you were insane....I gave it a close listen and I don't believe there is a slide there at all. It does sound like there is a bit of tremolo use possibly (I haven't seen Clapton use one in a live version, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything) but definitely no slide on the original.

Good call! :phones

Would you like proof positive that there is no slide guitar here. Just listen to Clapton isolated.

https://youtu.be/t2enJ7YJyAI

Listed to this again tonight. Love is the gold standard for surround releases, in my opinion. Fantastic content (man I love those mash-up segues); excellent sound; and a massively creative surround mix throughout. Really top-notch stuff.

I'm not sure if I should be worried or happy about this,

From the Las Vegas Sun, October 2015,

“ ‘Love’ will get an $8 million refresh and at the end of February, we’ll soft open that again after taking it down for a couple of weeks, then run that for a couple of months,” Nadal said. “Closer to the end of May, or in early June, we’ll do another red-carpet event, big event tied to the anniversary.

Giles Martin will again design the music, having access to all of the material The Beatles recorded over the course of their career.

“There will be technical changes. There will be choreographic changes. The sound is being changed out,” Nadal said. “It will be a big overhaul that will cover the show’s next 10 years.”

http://lasvegassun.com/blogs/kats-r...arid-cirque-ready-to-overhaul-love-and-belie/

The reason I saw this is that the Las Vegas Sun just ran another story on the upcoming Love renovation,

http://lasvegassun.com/vegasdeluxe/2016/jan/18/cirque-du-soleil-plans-changes-believe-love-o-bell/

My hope is that another Love DVD-A or Blu-Ray disc will be released with 5.1-channel audio and include some newly created Beatles mashups / mixes in surround sound. My fear is that the whole Love DVD-A will end up highly compressed and with nothing but the reverb from the Cirque stage in the rear channels. Hopefully it's the former and not the latter.

The original Love audio was actually mixed as a 25.5-channel mix for the show. I'm not sure there is any reason to change that. Only other fear is that I'll have to go back to Vegas to see the updated show (the fear is cost).

An updated Love DVD-Audio / Blu-Ray disc would make an excellent mid-2016 release, followed by Beatles Live Project (with Ron Howard producing) at the end of 2016.

Andy

Here's a little more info of the redone Love soundtrack, courtesy of Wogblog.

Giles Martin is continuing to tweak the music for the newest version of the Love show. He has dropped I Am The Walrus and added (at least) Twist and Shout.

The use of the twin-track Twist and Shout recording means that he has either heavily "borrowed" individual tracks from other Beatles songs or he has started to use modern spectral separation techniques (or both). Obviously Twist and Shout is nowhere near the length of I Am the Walrus so there are other "adds" included. I know She's Leaving Home was almost included in the original version of Love. A Fool On The Hill and Girl were iTunes bonus track mash-ups, so those could easily be added for the new version since they already exist.

The show will re-open at the end of February but tweaking will continue through the grand re-opening in July.

http://wogew.blogspot.com/2016/02/new-songs-and-mixes-for-love.html

Andy

Giles discussing Love show changes,

http://lasvegassun.com/vegasdeluxe/2016/feb/16/giles-martin-love-musical-director-refreshing-beat/

Why does,

The funny thing is now I just recently remixed a number of The Beatles’ number ones last year, and we went through another process of making it sound even better. So one thing I’m doing is replacing all the audio that’s in the show with all-new audio. It’s going to be glorious, but it’s taken a few months to do.

make me very nervous? I like new things, really, but just the thought of Beatles 1+ compression being used for Love...

However, this is very true and needed,

Once we had tackled the mix technology, we had to buy better speakers. All of the seat speakers are being replaced, as well.

Before, it was groundbreaking with three speakers in each seat. A lot of people are doing that now, so we improved the quality of the speakers.

Andy

Unfortunately Giles has lost a lot of cred with regards to surround. With Love he succeeded brilliantly. But with Magical Mystery Tour, and now the new 1, he's really dropped the ball. In my opinion he's just doing what he's told to do with regards to surround mixes, though. But he has to act as if everything is the best thing ever to please his masters.

Unfortunately Giles has lost a lot of cred with regards to surround. With Love he succeeded brilliantly. But with Magical Mystery Tour, and now the new 1, he's really dropped the ball. In my opinion he's just doing what he's told to do with regards to surround mixes, though. But he has to act as if everything is the best thing ever to please his masters.

As I totally agree that the Beatles #1 BD~V was disappointing (audio~wise) and that Magical Mystery Tour could've had a more involved surround soundstage, I do have 'faith' that if a LOVE 2 is released (hopefully on MLP DVD~A 5.1) it will adhere to the blueprint of LOVE.

Hey folks......this IS Vegas where everything is bigger than life and wholly exaggerated so could we really expect anything LESS?

And wouldn't it be special if LOVE 2 included the 35 minutes of unreleased instrumental Beatles material which is played before the show begins?

This video for the 10th anniversary of Love was released today. It uses the demo version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps with the orchestration that George Martin added in 2006 at AIR Studios. That session was the last recording session conducted by Sir George and was shown in the All Together Now DVD.

[video=youtube_share;VJDJs9dumZI]http://youtu.be/VJDJs9dumZI[/video]

Video of the recording session and a small explanation of how the new animation is shown live during the 2016 revamped Love show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDLBBn9n6yw

Not directly related to the Love 5.1-channel album but a nice addition to Love and Beatles 1+.

Andy

Last edited:
To borrow from Oasis, my favorite phrase along these lines is "definitely maybe"....weirder things have happened...

ED :)

Back