HiRez Poll Beatles - LOVE [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of The Beatles - LOVE (Soundtrack)

• Total voters
my fav. track is back in the ussr blows everyone away the 1st time they hear it in 5.1.
It's funny how your attitude changes towards this stuff too. after time some just grows on you.

oh yeah, yeah, yeah! totally agree with you! but a fair few people I've shown it off to have been riveted from word go! those vocals on "Because".. Wowzers!!

I guess I'm becoming a cranky ole' guy at 47....OK, some of the "bastardizations" of the songs are tolerable and I really like Cirque du Soleil...but I still prefer the MCH mixes in their entirety!

interesting.. i seem to recall the Yellow Submarine DVD having a fair few nice Beatles' songs in 5.1 but thinking that it was a shame there wasn't an alternative track of just the songs with no dialogue or sound effects, also in surround.

how little did I realise back then that that movie (the Anthology DVD set and the Love 5.1 mix aside) would come to represent such a large part of the entire released surround sound mixes of the Beatles and I'd have no right to complain and should be grateful for what we got!

hindsight, eh..

This is an odd one! I first bought it as a stereo CD to get one track quickly for a project. When I listened to the disk I was surprised to hear the liberties that were taken with the classic material. Now I know why the Christians were so PO'd about Jesus Christ Superstar (nevermind Life Of Brian). But I digress.

My old house was not conducive to surround sound. The physical environment just was not there. In 2009 I moved to a new home, and this (along with the Gabriel era Genesis box) was my 6th purchase in anticipation of the new surround setup.

This disc blew open my surround world! I can accept the content liberties which were taken for three reasons:
1. George Martin oversaw the project.
2. It proves that the Beatles can be well mixed in surround (and that those mixes will sell!)
3. It does not erase the old versions. I have always been a fan of studio outtakes and alternate mixes. If you like the classic mix, just put that on. But with surround it is already going to be different (if they are doing it well), so why not have some fun?

So yes, I gave this my highest rating, which I associate with the word superlative. This is a demo disc for sure!

Ken

This disc blew open my surround world! I can accept the content liberties which were taken for three reasons:
2. It proves that the Beatles can be well mixed in surround (and that those mixes will sell!)
3. It does not erase the old versions. I have always been a fan of studio outtakes and alternate mixes. If you like the classic mix, just put that on. But with surround it is already going to be different (if they are doing it well), so why not have some fun?

So yes, I gave this my highest rating, which I associate with the word superlative. This is a demo disc for sure!

Ken

Very...well...said! (y) :cool:

This is an odd one! I first bought it as a stereo CD to get one track quickly for a project. When I listened to the disk I was surprised to hear the liberties that were taken with the classic material. Now I know why the Christians were so PO'd about Jesus Christ Superstar (nevermind Life Of Brian). But I digress.

My old house was not conducive to surround sound. The physical environment just was not there. In 2009 I moved to a new home, and this (along with the Gabriel era Genesis box) was my 6th purchase in anticipation of the new surround setup.

Ken

You could add 4 it really upset the quadrophobes over at the Hoffman forum I mean the beatles in surround and mashups

You could add 4 it really upset the quadrophobes over at the Hoffman forum I mean the beatles in surround and mashups

Hey Fletch,

Your sentiment is hilarious, although I personally am not one to wish to deliberately upset anyone. In a zen sort of way, upsetting Beatles mashups are a great chance to let go of your attachments!

For those who LIKE mashups, I can recommend "Grayfolded," sadly not in surround, but a band-authorized mashup of dozens of live versions of the Grateful Dead song Dark Star (all versions by the Dead).

Ken

another point may be made that the mix was done for a live show. Often overlooked, if you saw even a bit of the show, it would make sense. Paul and Ringo gave the blessing on it ( and so did George's wife and of course the yoko also) and that's good enough for me. ( hate the yoko! she killed the Beatles!)

another point may be made that the mix was done for a live show. Often overlooked, if you saw even a bit of the show, it would make sense. Paul and Ringo gave the blessing on it ( and so did George's wife and of course the yoko also) and that's good enough for me. ( hate the yoko! she killed the Beatles!)

You are right context is everything but that does not stop it being a great release, and make you want more of the Beatles in Surround

You are right context is everything but that does not stop it being a great release, and make you want more of the Beatles in Surround

more? I want it all! back in the USSR in 5.1 shows just how good it can be. can you just imagine Sgt. Peppers, or Rubber Soul? not to forget Help! That I think may be the next BD!!!

Had this for a while now, just doing some rummaging and voting to be a more active member. Gotta be a 10. I LIKE using the centre for vocals, apart from the fact I had to upgrade my centre to match the rest of the system... Totally immersive. DON'T put the DVD-A on as background music. Sit. Listen. Absorb. SO good I've even bought one for a work chum who's one of the two other peeps I know with a DVD-A player. The other has trouble switching his PC on and doesn't know his 720p from his 1080i LOL damn i HATE JARGON... Anyway, on the last listening I couldn't bear that he could be without it. The gift was much appreciated.
Jem.

I hadn't listened to this in some time. But last weekend I closed the door, turned off the lights and ran it straight through. A multitude of thoughts and emotions came forth. Utter joy at what I was hearing. Back in the day I was listening on mono gear until the White Album came out. The other emotion was almost despair at the thought that somewhere in the bowels of Abbey Road are all the reductions of the original four and eight tracks (IIRC done by Giles in preparation for this project) waiting for someone to mix the actual albums in surround. Oh why do they torture me so? Ringo, Paul, Yoko, Olivia..... take pity on this old man that has helped support you for nearly fifty years!

I hadn't listened to this in some time. But last weekend I closed the door, turned off the lights and ran it straight through. A multitude of thoughts and emotions came forth. Utter joy at what I was hearing. Back in the day I was listening on mono gear until the White Album came out. The other emotion was almost despair at the thought that somewhere in the bowels of Abbey Road are all the reductions of the original four and eight tracks (IIRC done by Giles in preparation for this project) waiting for someone to mix the actual albums in surround. Oh why do they torture me so? Ringo, Paul, Yoko, Olivia..... take pity on this old man that has helped support you for nearly fifty years!

never mind the yoko, ask Julian. He has sense enough to know better. whats a yoko?

Depends on your player. I would say, if you Blu-Ray player plays SACDs, it's probably also compatible with DVD-A. If it's an Oppo, then yes, it definitely will play the DVD-A. In other cases, check the player's manual. What I can say for sure is that you will be able to play the DTS and Dolby Digital audio on the DVD-Video portion of the disc.

Exxcuse my ignorance, but will the DVD - A disc play on a Blu Ray SACD compatible player ?

The DVD-V layer of Love (DTS 5.1) will play. The DVD Audio layer will only play if you have a player specifically capable of decoding DVD Audio (the codec NOT the description).

Depends on your player. I would say, if you Blu-Ray player plays SACDs, it's probably also compatible with DVD-A. If it's an Oppo, then yes, it definitely will play the DVD-A. In other cases, check the player's manual. What I can say for sure is that you will be able to play the DTS and Dolby Digital audio on the DVD-Video portion of the disc.

Thank you, for your replies. My Blu Ray player is a Sony BDPS380 ( i assume that it won't play DVD - A ? ) but from what you say, it should play on the DVD Video option. Is there a noticible sound difference between the playing options ?

Back