HiRez Poll Beatles - LOVE [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of The Beatles - LOVE (Soundtrack)

• Total voters
Lots of medleys & tracks segued together. Yes, they are the recordings we all know and love, including the ever-popular Gnik Nus!

img_3_pr.jpg

Well my DVD-A collection is growing ( 4 at present ) This has to be a 10. ( i've found that if you turn the volume up on these discs, you get even more benefit....but i have to wait for the neighbours to go out. LOL )

Well my DVD-A collection is growing ( 4 at present ) This has to be a 10. ( i've found that if you turn the volume up on these discs, you get even more benefit....but i have to wait for the neighbours to go out. LOL )

that's the beauty of well-mastered Hi-Rez! you are in control of the volume! (just how it should be).

there's compression on the "Love" DVDA (in other words, a bit of "loudness", caused by the dynamic range being compressed. others on here can explain it far better than me!) ..but it still sounds terrific.

Compression is like putting the music in a vice. The softest sounds become a bit louder and the loudest sounds become a bit softer. It makes the volume more uniform, but it's less natural.

Dynamic range is the difference between the softest and loudest sounds. Compression reduces it. TV commercials sound loud and harsh because they're HIGHLY compressed.

that's the beauty of well-mastered Hi-Rez! you are in control of the volume! (just how it should be).

there's compression on the "Love" DVDA (in other words, a bit of "loudness", caused by the dynamic range being compressed. others on here can explain it far better than me!) ..but it still sounds terrific.

I bought this blind based in part on the reviews here and although I haven't rated it yet I'm struggling quite a bit with it and would appreciate some feedback.

I'm impressed with the mixing and how they've managed to pull so much detail out, especially considering both the age and near-sacred nature of the original recordings. I'm not a big fan of heavy use of surround effects - I prefer the subtle approach of letting the mix speak for itself rather than being "in your face" but I can appreciate that this is a soundtrack to a show and that the use of effects can be justified in that context.

But the mastering sounds horrible to my ears. It's been heavily EQ'd to the point of excess at the top end and has had the dynamic range compressed so much that I find it unpleasant and sometimes physically painful on my ears to listen to. I would even go so far as to say I don't have another surround title in my entire collection that sounds as heavily compressed as this. I've tried all three surround formats and the same can be said of all of them.

So what gives? Am I on my own in this opinion? It's made me question my system (Pioneer DV600-AV, Harmon Kardon AVR130 and Acoustic Energy AEGIS speakers) but as I have many, many titles that sound as sweet as a nut on it so I don't really think it's that.

Maybe my expectations were too high or maybe it's a "duff" disc? Anyone else experiencing similar?

...steps back and puts tin helmet on. ;)

I bought this blind based in part on the reviews here and although I haven't rated it yet I'm struggling quite a bit with it and would appreciate some feedback.

I'm impressed with the mixing and how they've managed to pull so much detail out, especially considering both the age and near-sacred nature of the original recordings. I'm not a big fan of heavy use of surround effects - I prefer the subtle approach of letting the mix speak for itself rather than being "in your face" but I can appreciate that this is a soundtrack to a show and that the use of effects can be justified in that context.

But the mastering sounds horrible to my ears. It's been heavily EQ'd to the point of excess at the top end and has had the dynamic range compressed so much that I find it unpleasant and sometimes physically painful on my ears to listen to. I would even go so far as to say I don't have another surround title in my entire collection that sounds as heavily compressed as this. I've tried all three surround formats and the same can be said of all of them.

So what gives? Am I on my own in this opinion? It's made me question my system (Pioneer DV600-AV, Harmon Kardon AVR130 and Acoustic Energy AEGIS speakers) but as I have many, many titles that sound as sweet as a nut on it so I don't really think it's that.

Maybe my expectations were too high or maybe it's a "duff" disc? Anyone else experiencing similar?

Are you listening to the dvd audio or another section? The dvd audio is uncompressed. That is the only way I ever heard this disc, and it always sounded damm good.
Never heard of that issue, only some do not care for the editing.

Thanks for the reply. I have the same issue with all three audio formats on the disc.

Just to be clear on what mean by "compression" in this context - I'm referring to the audio dynamic range compression that's often used by audio engineers to make a track sound loud *not* compression for space/bandwidth saving reasons like DD or DTS.

I may have said something similar in about post number 9 of this thread...the 4 track promo stereo ep still sounds the best...

An update to this; I replaced my Pioneer with a spanking new Cambridge Audio 752BD today. The painful distortion is gone. I'm enjoying the disc considerably more, although I still hear too much top end and what I consider to be excessive compression (loudness.) What I think is happening is this: Music processed with too much top end and too much compression overload some lower spec players resulting in distortion which not only sounds bad is also quite painful to listen to. Not good for the format at all.

The irony is that many posters in this poll are suggesting that this disc could result in breakthrough of the format to a mass market. I suggest the opposite: Most listeners will have lower spec systems which just will not cope with the excessive treble and compression. This obsession with loudness is not good.

What they have done with the Beatles material is very, very impressive. What they have done with the production and mastering is just naive.

An update to this; I replaced my Pioneer with a spanking new Cambridge Audio 752BD today. The painful distortion is gone. I'm enjoying the disc considerably more, although I still hear too much top end and what I consider to be excessive compression (loudness.) What I think is happening is this: Music processed with too much top end and too much compression overload some lower spec players resulting in distortion which not only sounds bad is also quite painful to listen to. Not good for the format at all.

The irony is that many posters in this poll are suggesting that this disc could result in breakthrough of the format to a mass market. I suggest the opposite: Most listeners will have lower spec systems which just will not cope with the excessive treble and compression. This obsession with loudness is not good.

What they have done with the Beatles material is very, very impressive. What they have done with the production and mastering is just naive.

Still consider this as one of the best SOUNDING surround discs in my collection, that absolutely blows everything else digital from the Beatles out of the water (save for the YS soundtrack songs).

Just bought "Love" today; slowly adding to my DVD-A collection. It should arrive before I make my 8-hour roadtrip from Sarasota to Atlanta for my son's Lacrosse Tournament next weekend. Let's see how I do getting my son to appreciate some of the best songs ever created; based upon what I've read, I'm really looking forward to this listen.

I get what you experience, but I have pretty good equipment, Oppo 93 NE, Denon @103 watts and Polk rti series and it sounds good at high volumes.

Had to give this a 10. It's the best sounding DVD-A I have so far and it sounds amazing in my Acura TL.
To think that these songs were recorded in the 60's just makes it that much more impressive.

Back