View Poll Results: Rate the DVD-A of Beatles - LOVE (Soundtrack)

Voters
206. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10: Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content

124 60.19%
  • 9:

48 23.30%
  • 8:

20 9.71%
  • 7:

9 4.37%
  • 6:

1 0.49%
  • 5:

2 0.97%
  • 4:

0 0%
  • 3:

2 0.97%
  • 2:

0 0%
  • 1: Bad Surround, Bad Fidelity, Bad Content

0 0%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Beatles - LOVE [DVD-A]

formerly known as "Eugenius"
    Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Beatles - LOVE [DVD-A]

Quote Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
    I think that having the center speaker at the same distance from the floor as the mids in the left and right speakers improves the overall fullness of the sound. This unifies the front 3 speakers into a single, continuous plane.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Although I've previously messed with the center channel level with other discs, I decided to try going much much much lower than I had typically done before and I believe that has helped a little. Don't put me amongst the 'converted' just yet, though. I still would still prefer to see mixes that don't rely quite as heavily on the center channel. The way I figure it is something like this: I've got over a hundred of these discs easily and I'd consider myself a pretty big "super fan" of music in surround sound. (OK... So that last part might be a little conceited.) I'm frequently posting about SACD and DVD-Audio at other forums and have tried writing numerous surround reviews (some written less poorly than some of my others, I'll admit.) I sometimes wonder if other's reactions to my posts and reviews are something along the lines of "That crazy guy is posting about multichannel audio again! Doesn't he know that those are FAILED formats and that surround sound is a big Joke??!!! Long live mono recordings on my old 78 made of shellac!) I guess I'm just thinking that if someone like me isn't able to have an ideal speaker setup to utilize a surround mix that utilizes the center channel heavily for vocals, then it's highly likely that the average Joe Six Pack doesn't have an ideal setup for this either. He might plop in the Beatles "Love" disc and end up hating it and will never discover how truly wonder multichannel is and can be. I'd truly like to hear what it would sound like with an identical speaker to the mains placed at the same height as the mains, if I could realistically manage to get the setup. It might totally blow my mind as to how wonderful it sounds! So I don't want to outright dismiss the idea that a center-focused mix might be a good idea---perhaps, even a superior idea. (Heck, the last thing we need is in-fighting amongst the surround community when we've got so many others totally against us!) That said, for more selfish reasons I do wish that all surround mixes would use more of the left/right channels for vocals just so that I can enjoy listening to music that is more optimized to my system.

Nonetheless, I do still enjoy the "Love" DVD-A quite a lot. It's the freakin' Beatles in 5.1 surround sound, afterall! I never ever really thought we'd get to see the day. Is there a chance that we'll get to see the entire Beatles catalog released in surround sound DVD-Audio, too? I sure hope so!

Now... what are everyone's favorite tracks?

Mine right now are "I Want To Hold Your Hand" and I absolutely love "Strawberry Fields Forever". Both sound great as mashups and quite wonderful in surround!
    5.1 Surround Music: "Makes me ."

300 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Upon first listening, I decided I wouldn't vote a "10." That resolve did not survive a second time through. I simply love "Love!" As has been pointed out, its the Beatles, its hi-rez, and its surround. What's not to love? Oh, other than the lousy menu forcing me to change the setup on my universal player to access the DTS 5.1 layer (as has also been pointed out).

I've listened to this five times now through the various surround options and while the hi-rez DVD-A is truly epic and the sound quality is amazing, I'd like to make a pitch for the DTS 5.1 if you want to really explore the surround content (and have a 7.1 system). I ran this last night with NEO 6 and got "Love" in 7.1. While there was the expected discernable loss in sound quality, the rear surrounds let me hear a lot more of the quick-hit dubs in the surrounds (more of Yellow Submarine in Octopus's Garden, for example) along with the more obvious surround content. If you are a real Beatles fanatic, you can sit down with notepad and try to make a list of what songs all this stuff comes from originally. Fun stuff!

Now we need the rest of the catalog in hi-rez surround! As others have noted, the sales of this DVD-A may tell that tale.

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranOverdriveCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stormchaser View Post

Now we need the rest of the catalog in hi-rez surround! As others have noted, the sales of this DVD-A may tell that tale.
    As much as there are more pro-SACD fanatics than DVD-A fans, I have to admit that this release, even in the few short days it's been out, has shown to me through the posts on the many messageboards that consider this type of thing, that the CD+DVD-A is the superior package to get surround out to the masses.

It rewards those who made the HiRez investment in hardware, and it also allows those with Home Theater systems to hear and enjoy the surround sound presentation without any additional equipment.

Those with DTS and DD are getting to hear the 5.1 presentation and appreciate (or dislike) what they are hearing, and had this been released on a hybrid SACD, that would not be possible.

The best thing that could happen to surround audio right now would be for a title like Abbey Road or Sgt. Pepper to be released in a CD+DVD-A package.

Bring them on!
    :-jon

formerly known as "Eugenius"
    Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stormchaser View Post
    Hmmm... Would it be wrong of me to go around to all the stores and conveniently "misplace" their CD-only versions? Thus, forcing everyone to buy the deluxe 2-disc DVD-Audio version! They'd be thanking me for it later, right?
    5.1 Surround Music: "Makes me ."

Semi-friendly Moderator daved64's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JonUrban View Post

The best thing that could happen to surround audio right now would be for a title like Abbey Road or Sgt. Pepper to be released in a CD+DVD-A package.

Bring them on!
    Ahem! Revolver!!!!!!
    Getting it done in 5.1 !!!

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star Guy Robinson's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 595
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

the CD+DVD-A is the superior package to get surround out to the masses.
    I agree. And it seems that may be the standard as all 3 Tuesday rock releases came out this way.

600 Club - QQ All Star dr. simple's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Robinson View Post
    I agree. And it seems that may be the standard as all 3 Tuesday rock releases came out this way.
    I believe every DVDA in the past twelve months came out this way, didn't they? Except for "Rough Mix" and the Bowie discs...
    "You gotta always remember, the name of the game is 'What does it sound like?' That's always the end result - I don't care if you got 90 tracks. What does it sound like, baby?" - Ray Charles

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dr. simple View Post
    I believe every DVDA in the past twelve months came out this way, didn't they? Except for "Rough Mix" and the Bowie discs...
    Even more proof!

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star BananaSlug's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenius View Post
    Hmmm... Would it be wrong of me to go around to all the stores and conveniently "misplace" their CD-only versions? Thus, forcing everyone to buy the deluxe 2-disc DVD-Audio version! They'd be thanking me for it later, right?
    I was at CostCo on Tuesday and they had the CD + DVDA package for $17 - AND, they didn't have the CD only version. My order had already been shipped by Amazon (still not here though) so I passed. I did turn and remark to my wife that it was cheaper than Amazon and included the surround disc - at which point another customer who had just put it down picked it back up and left.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star rusinurbe's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 113
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I love what i heard so far its great my only problem has been at the end of bac in the USSR i get some silence while the counter continues on its upward path. Then a freeze at what i assume to be the layer change . i then have to select the next track while my Guitar gently weeps.

It goes back this weekend, and ill wait for a new copy before giving it a score suffice to say it will be a high score certainly the best i have ever heard the beatles.
    Cheers Fletch

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star Chris Gerhard's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 391
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Not even close, but a higher percentage has been released as CD/DVD-A. Anne Murray, "I'll Be Seeing You", one from Pere Ubu and one from B. J. Cole and I believe all of The Talking Heads were released individually here as DualDiscs within the last twelve months. I can come up with others if needed but the trend for the few popular music DVD-A's does seem to be toward the CD/DVD-A package when released as DVD-A.

My preference is still for hybrid SACD, but I am delighted to see CD/DVD-A, heck I will take DVD-A DualDisc.

Chris

600 Club - QQ All Star dr. simple's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
    Not even close, but a higher percentage has been released as CD/DVD-A. Anne Murray, "I'll Be Seeing You", one from Pere Ubu and one from B. J. Cole and I believe all of The Talking Heads were released individually here as DualDiscs within the last twelve months. I can come up with others if needed but the trend for the few popular music DVD-A's does seem to be toward the CD/DVD-A package when released as DVD-A.

My preference is still for hybrid SACD, but I am delighted to see CD/DVD-A, heck I will take DVD-A DualDisc.

Chris
    If I'm not even close, then http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/dvdalist.htm really needs to be updated!
    "You gotta always remember, the name of the game is 'What does it sound like?' That's always the end result - I don't care if you got 90 tracks. What does it sound like, baby?" - Ray Charles

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rusinurbe View Post
    I love what i heard so far its great my only problem has been at the end of back in the USSR i get some silence while the counter continues on its upward path. Then a freeze at what i assume to be the layer change . i then have to select the next track while my Guitar gently weeps.

I get this layer change as well. It must be a bad one as I don't notice any layer changes on any DVD that I own. Since I got the Oppo anyway. It doesn't freeze but there is quite a gap.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

If I'm not even close, then http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/dvdalist.htm really needs to be updated!
    Er, well, actually it does, as that list shows the Talking Heads released as CD+DVD-A, when in the USA, they were actually DualDiscs. I don't know why I was thinking of the European versions when I did that part. I'll have to fix that next.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I get this layer change as well. It must be a bad one as I don't notice any layer changes on any DVD that I own. Since I got the Oppo anyway. It doesn't freeze but there is quite a gap.
    I get the "gap" in the Acura. About 2 seconds of silence, then WMGGW. It reminds me of early DVD-Videos, when the picture would freeze for a second on the layer change.

Semi-friendly Moderator daved64's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Post Thanks / Like

I get the "gap" in the Acura. About 2 seconds of silence, then WMGGW. It reminds me of early DVD-Videos, when the picture would freeze for a second on the layer change.
    I get it too. Before USSR ends I get a split second of silence, then a split second of airplane effect, then silence and WMGGW starts abruptly.
    Getting it done in 5.1 !!!

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daved64 View Post
    I get it too. Before USSR ends I get a split second of silence, then a split second of airplane effect, then silence and WMGGW starts abruptly.
    You would think that someone would have paid more attention in authoring. It sounds like they just let it run to the maximum of one layer and then just let the layer change happen at that point.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star Chris Gerhard's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 391
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I just named several, add any AIX releases which aren't CD/DVD-A either.

Chris

Level
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok I have been listening to the Beatles since I was a child , had all the US and import stuff all the albums, mono and stereo versions. Then the CD's came out ...Yea !
    So you can imagine the rush to find out some material was going to be released in 5.1 . I have listened to it about 3 times now so here we go !
    At first I found the mash ups to be a bit distracting but you have to remember this made for the LOVE show. I can say that the Beatles have never sounded better! Great sub work, super punch and clarity! Just crank up Drive my car
    and go for the ride ! The Sub was used and produced some lows that almost caused my scrotum to explode !
    Harrison's voice never sounded better. This disc is a real teaser for what can be done with the Beatles catalogue it's a blueprint for somthing fantastic !
    Nova

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star neil wilkes's Avatar
    Level
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry25000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

You would think that someone would have paid more attention in authoring. It sounds like they just let it run to the maximum of one layer and then just let the layer change happen at that point.
    You can't do that.
    If they used Sonic's DAC then the Layer Break can be specified in 2 places, but it must be specified - and can go at the start of any track.
    Not sure where it could have gone, as pretty well all the tracks segue in some form or another.
    Tough call.
    Oh well, whatever - nevermind.

Level
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

As much as there are more pro-SACD fanatics than DVD-A fans, I have to admit that this release, even in the few short days it's been out, has shown to me through the posts on the many messageboards that consider this type of thing, that the CD+DVD-A is the superior package to get surround out to the masses.

It rewards those who made the HiRez investment in hardware, and it also allows those with Home Theater systems to hear and enjoy the surround sound presentation without any additional equipment.

Those with DTS and DD are getting to hear the 5.1 presentation and appreciate (or dislike) what they are hearing, and had this been released on a hybrid SACD, that would not be possible.
    I know what you mean, but, the ambient mixes on The Doors Perception aren't exactly going to thrill anyone listening on the little satellite speakers that so many home cinema people use. Thankfully Love has much more aggressive mixes that can sound impressive.

Level
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I was doing fine with this dvda until a day in the life which just about lifted me off my chair. Unbeliveable. This is one hell of a Surround sound disc. I hope to see more of the beatles work in 5.1. I gave this a 10 do not believe this will be leaving my disc tray anytime soon.

One question I have a Yamaha 2500 amp and a Yamaha s2500 universal player when I play it in dvd audio in sounds kind of bassy when I put it on multi channel it sounds great and clear. I wonder if I am doing something wrong with the dvd audipo part.
    Elad

Level
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'll probably be panned for this, but I frankly didn't "get" the music of this album. My wife says probably I only liked the early Beatles stuff - but I found the mix loud and confusing. I guess watching the show it makes sense. But I don't see this as the panacea for hi rez music that most do. It is entirely too "cute" for me.

Prehistoric 4-ch Lizard Quadzilla's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocial
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ct View Post
    Well, I'll probably be panned for this, but I frankly didn't "get" the music of this album. My wife says probably I only liked the early Beatles stuff - but I found the mix loud and confusing. I guess watching the show it makes sense. But I don't see this as the panacea for hi rez music that most do. It is entirely too "cute" for me.
    I agree with you. I don't like the fact that the songs run into each other, and I don't like the "novelty" surround mixes. The sound quality is nothing to write home about either. This reminds me of the "Songs of" in fine print "the BEATLES" in HUGE PRINT quadraphonic LPs from the 70s. Mike.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star ChristopherLees's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 360
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
    I agree with you. I don't like the fact that the songs run into each other, and I don't like the "novelty" surround mixes. The sound quality is nothing to write home about either. This reminds me of the "Songs of" in fine print "the BEATLES" in HUGE PRINT quadraphonic LPs from the 70s. Mike.
    well the sound quality is below par for a beatles release...it's like they overloaded some of the channels with too many tracks... the top end detail of a normal beatles issue is not there...this release lacks top end clarity (very muddy) in many spots..They may have had all the master and session tapes, but once they shoved them into their computer for editing something foggy happened ....this isn't an mfsl or nimbus lp audiophile release, it's an EMI mash up.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast