HiRez Poll Beatles - LOVE [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of The Beatles - LOVE (Soundtrack)

• Total voters
The DVD-A should have been authored to give us easy access to the various tracks available - hirez 2.0, DD, DTS, etc. Simply a mis-judgement, and poor execution.

As is the dreadfully placed layer change in the 5.1 hi-res mix. With just a little bit of care it would have been completely transparent.

The fact that the dual-layered disc is authored as a PTP (Parallel Track Path) disc is unforgiveable, too - it pretty much guarantees a layer change break on every player, as the player needs to search back to the centre of the disc again to find the start of the second layer.

Oh, and just out of interest, the DVD-Video section of the disc is completely free of any kind of copy protection. I found that extremely surprising, but that, combined with the fact that the dual-layer format is wrong, has me thinking that the final disc master was not prepared by an experienced production house. Perhaps it was even done in-house.

Video/onscreen? Unless they went whole-hog and did a visual presentation unique to the DVD distribution that equalled the live production, we shouldn't care.

There's a lot that can be done with on-screen graphics on DVD-Audio - different graphics for each track, timed fades between them etc etc - and it's not hard to do. Several people I've played the disc to have commented "it's a bit boring having that yellow screen there all the time!"

See the Nine Inch Nails "With Teeth" DVD-A for an example of how it CAN be done.

The worst thing about the Love 5.1 mix? The use of the LFE channel. The Martins have used the LFE channel to double certain elements and instruments from time to time.

It might not be apparent, but the fundamental misunderstanding of this feature by the Martins has doomed this mix to sound different on the vast majority of systems compared to their reference system.

Precisely, and that's why I don't feel the LFE channel has ANY place in a multichannel music mix. Dolby, incidentally, agrees with me and has recommended for years that the LFE channel not be used for music.

...that's why I don't feel the LFE channel has ANY place in a multichannel music mix. Dolby, incidentally, agrees with me and has recommended for years that the LFE channel not be used for music.

thank you, thank you, thank you (y)

This is an extremely important issue.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you forum members for reviewng this release. I never would have considered buying this one if were not for you. :brew

I picked it up at BestBuy the other day, and of course popped in the CD for the drive home. Heck man, the CD alone was impressive to me.

And when I got home the DVD-A was the first thing I tried. This is definately a disc that can be used for 5.1 Hi-Rez demonstration. The Beatles are almost universally enjoyed across generations, my 18 year old is the exception, but he admits his friends like them. So this disc comes in real handy for demos when the audience is diverse.

I liked the use of the surrounds, especially when harminized vocals landed back there. I guess if I had my druthers, I would ask for even more usage back there. One of my favorite cuts to demo surround harmonizers is the Seven Bridges Road from Eagles DTS Hell Freezes Over. That's the kinda stuff I love. So I wished for a little more on Love. But don't get me wrong, I really enjoy this release.

The "mashing" annoyed me though. Not the concept of mashing itself, but the tease it causes. For instance, when I heard the instrumental intro for BlackBirds, I was overjoyed for I have always loved that song, and then it was like zzzzwwwwwrrrp (sound of a phonograph needle scrape), What!! , I actually restarted the track twice to make sure I was not missing the rest of the song. (By the way for those that have not heard this release yet, there is no zwrp sound, my description is emotional not actual.)

But its so easy to describe the things that I didn't like that I don't want to give the wrong impression. There are many instances where I was truly awed. Just to name two:

The very beginning is so clean, so precise, the harmonizing completely surrounds the listener; close your eyes and you are standing in some park somewhere with the Beatles standing around you!

And then the cellos (I think they are a cello and some violins) in Eleanor Rigby! I have always enjoyed them in past recordings, but in this release they are SO CLEANLY presented. In fact I always thought it was one cello, but after hearing this release I realized there are multiple string instruments. Now that may indicate that I just have an untrained ear, but if the presentation in this release can overcome my "dumb" ears, then that just goes to show the value of this medium.

I gave this release a 9. Thanks again to the previous reviewers. You did me a great service.

randy

I just saw this show in Vegas and it was amazing!

QuadraphonicQuad alert!!!
Every seat has rear surround speakers! Totally awesome! I was constantly turning my head into the speaker during the show to hear the discrete rear channels! Amazing! Go to Vegas right now and see it!

p.s. I noticed that this dvd/cd package was selling like hotcakes at the show (at 30 bux!, vinyl was selling for $50!).

Imagine all those folks disappointment when they come home to find out there was no video portion of what they just saw....

I just saw this show in Vegas and it was amazing!

QuadraphonicQuad alert!!!
Every seat has rear surround speakers! Totally awesome! I was constantly turning my head into the speaker during the show to hear the discrete rear channels! Amazing! Go to Vegas right now and see it!

What about the tracks they played before the show started! Great Beatles tunes with no vocals, all in surround! Very frustrating to a 5.1 fan that we can't get those tunes in 5.1 when you know they are there and DONE. ;)

'Strawberry Fields Forever', 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' and 'All You Need Is Love' are exemplary.

The Beatles era that should be done in 5.1.

I've had Love for several months but finally got around to spinning it.

It's a 10. :smokin
Not much else to say. I really liked the way Martin layered the tracks, pulled some of the songs apart & re-assembled them. The songs themselves have stood the test of time. I agree about While My Guitar. I was not expecting an accoustic/vocal rendition with Harrison's voice so clear.

I can only wish that someday we see the entire Beatles catalog is 5.1, especially SPLHCB, White album, Rubber Soul, Abbey Rd. It would be a fantastic collection of music to play in surround.

Kudos to George Martin for making this happen.
ss9001

Great music, perfect 5.1 mix.The only question is WHEN??? Revolver,SPLHCB,White Album,Abbey Road...WHEN!!??? 10.

Maybe if enough of us give it the 10 it deserves maybe someone will notice and set the wheels in motion :)

~M~

Maybe if enough of us give it the 10 it deserves maybe someone will notice and set the wheels in motion :)

~M~

Maybe if enough people buy the 5.1 version instead of the stereo cd ,someone at EMI will notice and then in about 4 or 5 years time Apple will let EMI do one more new title.

After all Apple seems to let music only titles progress at about 2-4 year intervals.
In 1996 it was anthology.
In the following 10 years we've had "yellow submarine dvd redone in 5.1 surround with a new remixed songtrack cd/lp", "a hard days night redone in 16x9 with 5.1 mono sound instead of 5.1 discrete surround" , "Ed sullivan mono tv shows","Let it be Naked cd/lp" and "love.cd/lp/dvda".

Now it's 2007 and we are just about to get their 1965 Help movie in 16 x 9 and 5.1... so maybe in 2009 we'll get their 1970 let it be film in 16 x9 and 5.1 and then in 2011 or 2012 a new 5.1 dvda..

~M~

Well I bought it because I was desperate for some surround music, but I would hardly say it was a ten. It seems like an hour-long medley ... and I can't get the image of all those Nancies jumping around in tights.

'Zilla, you think too much! LOL

This was like listening to the Beatles for the first time all over again.

I can see this turning into a "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon"-type of drinking game. We can call it "Where did that snippet come from?" First one who gets it right, has to drink a shot. That will even out the playing field eventually.

The Love DVD-A disc makes so much more sense to me after seeing the show about 3 weeks ago. What a great experience.

Now if I could get all those additional unique instrumental versions of Beatles tracks they played for the hour before show time......!

Back