HiRez Poll Beatles - LOVE [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of The Beatles - LOVE (Soundtrack)

• Total voters
This is a great thread to re-read. It reminds me of the enthusiasm that surfaces here at QQ once in a while when something is ACTUALLY RELEASED in 5.1 that people want. How long will we have to wait until this happens here again?

...once in a while when something is ACTUALLY RELEASED in 5.1 that people want. How long will we have to wait until this happens here again?

I have little hope and fewer expectations that the High res surround that we all crave will be available any longer with the rare exception. The reality of music biz economics and prevalence of "the sky is falling" rhetoric embraced by the decision makers, is upon us.

That having been said, there have been many recent DVD-V titles that feature outstanding DTS surround mixes - just a few in recent months;

McCartney Years
Help
Blackfield NYC
Crossroads
Sigur Ros - Heimer
Amy Winehouse - I Told You I Was No Good
U2 - Popmart

and many more I'm sure. Yes many of these are live and there is the whole "its all about the music" sentiment, but I'll take it where I can and look for a silver lining - still having fun listening to new titles in surround and discovering the hidden gem every now and then.

Just got a Toshiba A-30 HD DVD player - hoping that there will be something soon to get excited about on the surround front there as well.

Back on track, I just saw a special on the Sundance Channel about the "Love" show, and I have to say, even thought I actually SAW the show in Vegas this year, this special cleared up a lot of questions I had about the show and the soundtrack.

The comments about how the "mash-ups" are bad and not original Beatles music are all moved to the "moot" class when you see this special. You have to listen to this disc for what it is, it's a SOUNDTRACK. It's not the regular stuff we've all grown accustomed to and know by heart. You have to listen to it as being a "new" experience.

I wish everyone could have seen this special. It had Paul, Ringo, Yoko and Olivia along with all of the Cirque people who created the show. Scenes and music combo's that made no sense to me are now clear. I mean, how would anyone have known that there is a major scene in the show that is of John's mother being hit by a car?? Or the Beatles rooftop concert?

In this special, it's so cool to hear Paul, Ringo and Yoko speak about the part of the show where the Beatles appear in "shadows" and actual studio chatter is used. Wow, I got chills.

Anyway, seeing this special makes me want to pull the DVD-A out and spin it again (haven't done that in a while), and also makes me feel good about voting '10' for this title. I honestly cannot understand how there can be two "3" votes! THREE!!?? Are you kidding me?

http://www.sundancechannel.com/films/500225155

Anyway, seeing this special makes me want to pull the DVD-A out and spin it again (haven't done that in a while), and also makes me feel good about voting '10' for this title. I honestly cannot understand how there can be two "3" votes! THREE!!?? Are you kidding me?

http://www.sundancechannel.com/films/500225155

I didn't give it a three (that low is rediculous) but I would have given it a much higher score than I did (six) if some top end ambience resembling their lp's was there before "Lady Madonna" kicks in (which has some)...I don't know how they did it, but the pal dvda has rolled top end for the most part ,when compared with any half decent lp pressing over the last 40 years (and I stress using the lp's as a comparison, because if you're not familiar with the way a good beatles lp can sound then you may well wonder what I'm fussing about, as the dvda is not a really dull release , but compared to what has been released in the past it is.)...even the love promo sampler stereo cd is better sounding..

on the other hand playing this disc on a bright sounding budget dvda player makes the disc shine...only problem is that then every other dvda in my collection sounds too bright.

Reading reviews of this when it first came out, there seemed to be some controversy over so much middling with the Beatles original tunes, and for making money in Vegas (God forbid). I can't help but think the Beatles would've loved it, no play on words intended. I hate the bright, monotonous screen but can turn the TV off. Its beautiful music, and a great demo, and worthy of a 10.

I like the music, I like the mix, everything was done on a very high artistic and technical level.

However, for me it is all ruined, because this disc is mastered WAY TOO LOUD. I don't like to listen to it. The compression is audible.

I don't see why they do that on a high-res medium, but they do. When I look at the meters while listening to the 5.1 hi-res mix, the average level appears to be around -6 db most of the time, just like the CD side. This is inexcusable.

It could be so good.... I give it a 9 to 10 for content and mix, but a 1 for fidelity...

Being a definite generation x-er I grew up familiar with probably 70 % of the Beatles tunes on this release. My views on the Beatle's however were that their music was seriously antiquated and a relic of the 'primary' days of pop- rock. Just one listen to this superb album in 5.1 blew away all those misconceptions. A fan Of Nirvana now has a massive appreciation of this music. This is a fabulous mix that simply transports you. Whilst I can't attest to be a true Beatles fan now, you can bet your bottom dollar I would buy ALL their back catalogue if it was presented in 5.1 with such great fidelity. Now what a shame that such hope and vision has never eventuated. And to think how excited Baby- boomers were to receive re-mastered stereo versions approx a year ago. If only they knew what they are missing out on.... They simply are ignorant of what this music should sound like. A solid nine for me, and a damn close effort to ten . Only track to disappoint was 'Help' which was also mentioned by others... George Martin is a genius.

It doesn't get any better than this with DVD-A.
For those that voted less than 10, you are cursed.
To nitpick, is just plain wrong.
My number 1 surround title, hands down!
Bring on Love 2, the sequel!!

It doesn't get any better than this with DVD-A.
For those that voted less than 10, you are cursed.
To nitpick, is just plain wrong.
My number 1 surround title, hands down!
Bring on Love 2, the sequel!!

I agree the Love disc in surround sound is excellent, a 10. The Love show in Vegas was magical! The nitpicking regarding this disc was interesting, I'd rather have DVD-A discs being released every month of this quality rather than the current state of the state.

10. 10! 10!!!!!!

This was my first dvd-a I've listened to properly (explained deeper in the Downward Spiral thread, briefly: blame ignorance of proper set-up). and frankly, it's probably ruined the Beatles for me in any other medium. Closing my eyes and listening to this, I couldn't wipe a grin from my face no matter how hard I tried.... I told John multiple times to go back to his grave and stop haunting my room. This is sonic bliss.

Let's get cracking on the other albums Paul, Ringo and *sigh* Yoko before you all kick the bucket too...

10. 10! 10!!!!!!

This was my first dvd-a I've listened to properly (explained deeper in the Downward Spiral thread, briefly: blame ignorance of proper set-up). and frankly, it's probably ruined the Beatles for me in any other medium. Closing my eyes and listening to this, I couldn't wipe a grin from my face no matter how hard I tried.... I told John multiple times to go back to his grave and stop haunting my room. This is sonic bliss.

Let's get cracking on the other albums Paul, Ringo and *sigh* Yoko before you all kick the bucket too...

Got to love that DVD-A. Great start. Right on! 10. 10! 10!!!!!!
I'd be pleased with more surround, too. Although (don't tell anyone) I've been enjoying the mono White Album too much lately. ;)

It's not a perfect album, particularly in Hey Jude the piano sounds like you've suddenly been picked up from a chair in the middle of the studio/theatre, and sat on top of it, like a giddy female jazz singer staring at the pianist as he sings his part of a duet... which is strange... and I would have brought the entire album's dynamic range up even a bit more, (I was expecting my ears to start bleeding when the crescendo peaks in 'A Day in the Life' despite keeping the volume down a bit so the kid wouldn't wake up) but god those two little quirks are no where near enough to derail this album from being as good as music can get...

Give me 'Let It Be' (maybe preferably Naked?) mixed in 5.1 and I'll be able to die a happy man.

PS/Sidenote/afterthought: I like how John was balanced a little bit to the left, true to the original stereo mixes, on some songs. he was a bit quirky like that, and I'm glad George Martin didn't have it in him to mess with that.

It's not a perfect album [...] I would have brought the entire album's dynamic range up even a bit more, (I was expecting my ears to start bleeding when the crescendo peaks in 'A Day in the Life' despite keeping the volume down a bit so the kid wouldn't wake up)
Agree. The dynamic impact is better for the mono versions, a pity they didn't go for the full monty here.

It's good all the same. :)

haven't ever listened to the mono versions... *hides head in shame*

I suppose I can always just be prepared for the crescendo with remote in hand and blast it gradually myself for a bit of extra oomph. :)

haven't ever listened to the mono versions... *hides head in shame*
:mad: Bad boy! However, if you're ever in Gothenburg, Sweden, I'll be happy to treat you. :)

I suppose I can always just be prepared for the crescendo with remote in hand and blast it gradually myself for a bit of extra oomph. :)

Yeah, but the wonderful thing is when you can turn the volume up without worrying over earache. (y)

Had this for a while now, just doing some rummaging and voting to be a more active member. Gotta be a 10. I LIKE using the centre for vocals, apart from the fact I had to upgrade my centre to match the rest of the system... Totally immersive. DON'T put the DVD-A on as background music. Sit. Listen. Absorb. SO good I've even bought one for a work chum who's one of the two other peeps I know with a DVD-A player. The other has trouble switching his PC on and doesn't know his 720p from his 1080i LOL damn i HATE JARGON... Anyway, on the last listening I couldn't bear that he could be without it. The gift was much appreciated.
Jem.

A five.
Yes , a FIVE!!!!
Can't stand the butchering of the songs, sorry.
OTOH. I LOOOVE the MCH whole song mixes(too few of them to save the rating), a dream come true...and all in its 96/24 glory...

I've lived with it for years and I've LOVED it for years!

A "9" back then and I'd probably give it a "10" now, the mix is amazeballs!

I've used this as a demo disc to countless people and those that get surround music really get this and those that don't usually enjoy it anyway cos it's The Beatles! Win win!

I love it yeah, yeah, yeah..!!

Stuck record time, "if only there'd been more 5.1 from the Fab Four.." ah well.. at least we got this eh!

I've lived with it for years and I've LOVED it for years!

A "9" back then and I'd probably give it a "10" now, the mix is amazeballs!

I've used this as a demo disc to countless people and those that get surround music really get this and those that don't usually enjoy it anyway cos it's The Beatles! Win win!

I love it yeah, yeah, yeah..!!

Stuck record time, "if only there'd been more 5.1 from the Fab Four.." ah well.. at least we got this eh!

my fav. track is back in the ussr blows everyone away the 1st time they hear it in 5.1.
It's funny how your attitude changes towards this stuff too. after time some just grows on you.

Back