HiRez Poll Crosby, David - IF I COULD ONLY REMEMBER MY NAME [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Daivd Crosby - IF I COULD ONLY REMEMBER MY NAME

• Total voters
Got mine from an overseas dealer a week ago. Gave up on CDUniverse, seems they'd sell out in a day everytime they got some inventory.

All I can say is this is a great recording, well worth trying to find and one of the best surrounds in my collection. I enjoyed every song! Now if we could only get C,S&N (ST) and DejaVu in 5.1.

Excellent clarity on vocals and acoustic guitar work. Organic is a good description for this recording. My least fav song was Cowboy Movie.

I give it a full 10.

ss9001

If you look at the web site, www.iicormn.com, you will see a number of complaints about the DVD-A being unable to play in diverse players. Mine has played, OK, but one person complaining is the producer himself:

January 1st, 2007 by sqb
It apppears that Rhino/WB applied scant QC in regard to the current IICORMN DVD, and perhaps to the CD either. Reports of HDCD lights not coming on, and DVD-A content not playing on tried and true players by technically informed listeners (the only ones that have the patience to put up with archane navigation systems and bad or incomplete menus).

The final straw was that this producer (me) tried to play his own copy of the new release. I could see the indexes, but no sound. I spent hours with the players settings, etc . No DTS, No DVD-A. The CD worked, anyway.

Dammit.

I can now fully sympathize with the hard core out there.

The net result is that I feel responsible, even though I had no control of things that Warners/Rhino did. All I can do is try to sort it out through this website.

So I hope people that wanted to hear “If I Could Only Remember My Name” in true, high definition surround and can’t because of technical limitations - don’t give up - please register to this site and publish your complaints to the “Bad Disc Reports” category. Note that registration is only needed for posting — browsing the posts and the photos does not require registration.

I hope to have a conversation with someone at Warner/Rhino this month. Hopefully I can find out about or organize some kind of return/replace program.

stay tuned.

in other news…

I should have some photos relating to the iicormn sessions and more technical tours soon.

sqb

Mine plays fine in my Oppo 970H.
Haven't played the cd yet, just the dvd-A which is all I care about.

Jeff

I love this disc. I even grabbed a "spare". It plays fine in my Acura, and also in my 3910. I must admit that I have never tried the stereo tracks, and probably never will............

You did a great job on this one!

My understanding is that this is the whole Pioneer firmware thingy. Has nothing to do with WB/Rhino's DVD-A authoring.

Plays fine on all my DVD-A players (Panny, Onkyo, etc.), and yes - the Pioneer (with the firmware upgrade).

The missing HDCD on the CD is a whole 'nuther matter, but has nothing to do with DVD-A authoring.

More copies just came in at CDUniverse as I type this...

If you look at the web site, www.iicormn.com, you will see a number of complaints about the DVD-A being unable to play in diverse players. Mine has played, OK, but one person complaining is the producer himself

I have yet to find a dvd-audio disk that doesn't play fine in both of my players, including this one. The first generation Technics machine, and the later Denon 2900. I have over 85 dvd-audio disks.

Once I upgraded my Pioneer firmware (thanks to someone at this site) I haven't had any problem playing any sacd/dvd-a discs, this one included. I'm wondering if the lack of many releases on dvd-a has something to do with quality control. I really enjoyed this album, hadn't listened to it previous to buying it.

The disc plays great in my Samsung DVD-HD841/941/950 and Oppo DV970HD. I haven't tried my other DVD-A players, a JVC XV-FA900BK/SA612SL, and Pioneer DV-588A. I don't know if a foreign release is any different than the version I have. All WEA DVD-A discs I have ever owned have played properly as far as I can recall and I have owned a large number of them.

Chris

I have a problem with this disc but it is only on the opening song (at around the 40 second mark or so). I have a Denon 2910 and don't have many problems with all of my other SACDs and DVDAs. I read somewhere where someone else has a problem at the same spot on that disc as I do.

I've listened to this a few times now. Great surround mix and very good music. I especially it when the DVD-A is my first exposure to a recording and enjoy the mix and the music fresh.

I hadn't heard much of Crosby's solo stuff and this was as good as described here.(y)

I have a problem with this disc but it is only on the opening song (at around the 40 second mark or so). I have a Denon 2910 and don't have many problems with all of my other SACDs and DVDAs. I read somewhere where someone else has a problem at the same spot on that disc as I do.

I have the same problem with my Pioneer DV-578A. Here's a link to other bad disc reports on the album.
http://iicormn.com/wordpress/archives/category/bad-disc-reports/

I just tested my copy with my Denon 2910 and did not encounter any problems at about 40 seconds on the opening track.

Hope this helps.

i have been listening to the mp3's of this release since this thread started and have not been impressed AT ALL from this album, it just seemed kinda boring sounding and bleh... For one thing, the mp3's track listing was different and was listed in a totally different way, making it even worse than it already was, and it was only in 128kbps, anyways, fast forward to today.

I found the dvd-a/cd combo @ Amoeba and omg! It's like a brand new album! Although mp3's are great and all, they miss something that you can't get with a hi-def recording like this.

mabye im just a snob.

Damn, what a fine, fine disc. The music just pulls you in and the surround mix envelopes you with warm guitars and those amazing harmonies. The fidelity is downright amazing. This is one that just gets better the longer you listen to it. The mood is laid back yet belies a complexity in composition and performance. This is an utter gem. I have always been a CSN&Y and Grateful Dead fan, and have followed the individual solo careers relatively closely, but this amazing piece of Crosby's somehow slipped me by. I literally had never heard of it until its release on DVD-A. Amazing. An utter classic. 10 points.

Back