HiRez Poll Crosby, David - IF I COULD ONLY REMEMBER MY NAME [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Daivd Crosby - IF I COULD ONLY REMEMBER MY NAME

• Total voters
I wore out my vinyl copy of this David Crosby album many years ago.

It's always been one of my favorites from the glory days of CSN&Y.

The hi-res MC perfectly complements the material here, which almost seems to have been recorded with surround sound in mind. It's a very active mix without being gimmicky at all.

I have to give it a 10 across the board for music, sound, and mix 🌞

Last edited:
I'm jumping on the bandwagon...

But first I want to apologize right here, before God and everybody, to Dennis Mabry for shrugging him off once at his house when he showed me this disc. O.K., in fairness Dennis and I would try to listen to SO many discs in SO little time that we both had to shrug off SOME of the discs, but now that I've heard IICORMN I'm wishing I wouldn't have shrugged it off.

I'd never heard this album before, and I have to agree with DMT that the stereo mix might not have impressed me. This music was made for 5.1 (or, actually, 5.0 as the case may be).

Paul

This is a classic example of what can be achieved with a great multichannel mix. Good title in stereo, awesome in hi-rez surround!

But first I want to apologize to Dennis Mabry

Paul, no apologies necessary. I'm glad you like it. You have introduced me to many artists / titles also, that I would not have considered myself. Quid pro quo.

mabye im just a snob.

dmt, We're all snobs here! :D

Dennis

To (loosely) borrow a quote from Dave Matthews: "You know when you're at the barbeque and someone makes some really good chicken and you're all like, 'DAMN, THAT'S SOME GOOD CHICKEN!!!'" David Crosby's IICORMN on DVD-A is good chicken.

Or toficken or tofurkey, if meat ain't your thing. :)

Last edited:
I really like CSN&Y and never listened to any of the solo material other than Neil Young stuff. So far I haven't been able to get into this recording, the sonics are impressive as others have posted but can't get past song 3 or 4 before switching to another disk. I was in a acoustic listening mood the other day and as already posted in Foo Fighters(In Your Honor) thread listened to their album and like it alot. After rereading this thread will try listening to last few songs on album to see what I am missing.
Those that are fans of this album did you like it right aways, did you have to give it a few spins before it hit the mark?

peter

I really like CSN&Y and never listened to any of the solo material other than Neil Young stuff. So far I haven't been able to get into this recording, the sonics are impressive as others have posted but can't get past song 3 or 4 before switching to another disk. I was in a acoustic listening mood the other day and as already posted in Foo Fighters(In Your Honor) thread listened to their album and like it alot. After rereading this thread will try listening to last few songs on album to see what I am missing.
Those that are fans of this album did you like it right aways, did you have to give it a few spins before it hit the mark?

peter

I completely missed the album on its original release decades ago but I picked up the DVD-A right after it was released and liked it from the start. I wasn't aware that David could carry an album on his own doing the lead vocals. Give it some time if you like CSN&Y, it might grow on you.

Chris

Got a copy of this (locally) recently.

Interesting that this is a 5.0 mix - this has to be the best disc that I've heard thats 5.0. 10 all the way for me.

Vocals sound amazing, guitars in all channels sound great.

I've never been a CSN&Y fan... but this was worth it in surround.

i know its a bona-fide classic and it does sound completely amazing but I find it all a bit bland. beautiful sounding but ultimately boring. I really don't get what all the fuss is about. I've tried to get into it.. but it just doesnt do anything for me. I'd much rather have had "Deja Vu" in 5.1.

A "6".

I'd Remember My Name IF I Weren't So Damn High is a good, not a great album. 10 for the mix. 6 for the music. So, it's an 8. Back in the stone age, I bought this one the first day it was out in 5.1. Jon's image appears to have a Circuit City (remember them?) price tag.

I LOVE this disc! A big '10'. So much to love!

One of the best solo albums of CSNY, and definitely the better surround mix between this one and "Songs for Beginners".

The surround mix starts pretty subtly with a little percussion and whatnot in the surrounds

BUT by the time "Cowboy Movie" comes around, we are in the world of full on envelopment. Crosby's voice is very upfront in the center, and I love it, while the electric guitars and percussion surround you.
Next though are my two favorite songs on the album, the instrumental "Tamalpais High (At About 3)" and "Laughing". These tracks showcase a perfect blend of guitars and harmonies in the surround channels, with some in the front as well. Plus "Laughing" has got to be on the list for me of beautiful songs of all time.
After that we have the protest song "What Are Their Names". It starts off pretty slow, but then it slowly builds until the voices hit.
"Traction in the Rain" is another beautiful number and one of the best on the album, followed by another good instrumental "Song With No Words (Tree With No Leaves)"
The final tracks "Orleans" and "I'd Swear There Was Somebody Here" really showcase the vocal abilities of Crosby with the surround mixing chops of Stephen Barncard.
Such a pleasure to listen to and so highly recommended! :)

I LOVE this disc! A big '10'. So much to love!

One of the best solo albums of CSNY, and definitely the better surround mix between this one and "Songs for Beginners".

The surround mix starts pretty subtly with a little percussion and whatnot in the surrounds

BUT by the time "Cowboy Movie" comes around, we are in the world of full on envelopment. Crosby's voice is very upfront in the center, and I love it, while the electric guitars and percussion surround you.
Next though are my two favorite songs on the album, the instrumental "Tamalpais High (At About 3)" and "Laughing". These tracks showcase a perfect blend of guitars and harmonies in the surround channels, with some in the front as well. Plus "Laughing" has got to be on the list for me of beautiful songs of all time.
After that we have the protest song "What Are Their Names". It starts off pretty slow, but then it slowly builds until the voices hit.
"Traction in the Rain" is another beautiful number and one of the best on the album, followed by another good instrumental "Song With No Words (Tree With No Leaves)"
The final tracks "Orleans" and "I'd Swear There Was Somebody Here" really showcase the vocal abilities of Crosby with the surround mixing chops of Stephen Barncard.
Such a pleasure to listen to and so highly recommended! :)

Ohh you said every word I sign 1000 times. :)

This is a beautiful surround title, and thankfully seems to be very easy to attain. Once upon a time this was not the case, when this was a very obscure vinyl album. It has always been known as a sidebar to the Grateful Dead catalog because of the participation of Jerry Garcia and Phil Lesh, but the title surely stands on its own as a great album. To then have it well mixed in surround is such a treat! A 10 for me!

Now if they would just mix Hooteroll & Garcia in surround!

Back