HiRez Poll Crosby, David - IF I COULD ONLY REMEMBER MY NAME [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Daivd Crosby - IF I COULD ONLY REMEMBER MY NAME

• Total voters
Just got an update from my Rhino contact confirming this title is out of print with no plans for a second run right now.

Last edited:
Just got an update from my Rhino contact confirming this title is out of print with no plans for a second run right now.

What a shame. At least we got it when we could. It's a very worthy swan song for Rhino and DVD-A.

What a shame. At least we got it when we could. It's a very worthy swan song for Rhino and DVD-A.

that is a shame, I have started to try and get DVDA when they come out rather than waiting. Its a shame indeed.

I wonder how many were made, it is certainly one nice package.

Hello,

Has anyone else noticed that the HDCD in this set doesn't decode, at least it doesn't light up the green icon on my computer like the other HDCD's that I own. I also have a portable Mintec DVD player (model# MDP-1815) that decodes all my other HDCD's but not this one. Is it possible that these are not encoded as the packaging is suggesting? What's up with this? Anyone know?

swan song?

Has Rhino announced something to that effect?

I have not seen any announcement, but I have not noticed any further DVD-A's released or announced. In general, companies don't announce there will be no more releases on a given format since the result could be lack of interest in the titles released in that format and lack of sales of hardware to play the titles released. After it is obvious there will be no more, expect an official announcement. It appears Warner has moved on and concentrating on DVD Albums, Blu-ray and HD DVD and of course CD and sales of downloads.

I hope we will see further DVD-A releases from Rhino, but won't be surprised if we don't

Chris

I have not seen any announcement, but I have not noticed any further DVD-A's released or announced. In general, companies don't announce there will be no more releases on a given format since the result could be lack of interest in the titles released in that format and lack of sales of hardware to play the titles released. After it is obvious there will be no more, expect an official announcement. It appears Warner has moved on and concentrating on DVD Albums, Blu-ray and HD DVD and of course CD and sales of downloads.

I hope we will see further DVD-A releases from Rhino, but won't be surprised if we don't

Chris

www.becausesoundmatters.com

Hopefully a sign of things to come.

Rhino/WEA are very tight-lipped; I wouldn't speculate either way. After the Talking Heads box came out and I interviewed DVD-Authoring guru Spence Chrislu, I asked my Rhino contact (who was also on the call), what was going on with hi-res surround releases on DVD-Audio (remember, this was when the industry was leaning towards DualDisc and DVD-A was "dead" according to some people). He wouldn't budge disclosing any info, but said he "wouldn't be surprised" if we would see more DVD-A releases. In the following months, I believe we saw two Flaming Lips releases, the second Lord of the Rings, The Doors - Perception box, IICORMN - all on the good 'ol DVD-A format, in my preferred CD+DVD combo package.

I'm still hopeful; I mean, selling out of the Perception box and IICORMN in about 3-4 months is certainly a good sign that there's definite demand out there for hi-res music in surround.

Last edited:
I wonder how many of each they made.

If they were smart, they would make more and sell them from their "Rhino Hand Made" website. That way they would make all of the profit, and we would be able to buy them without paying huge eBay prices.

Amazing fidelity; One COMPLAINT
The guitars in Cowboy Movie, are only faint on the DVD Audio
The CD mix is PERFECT!
I've checked the surround set-up in my Acura TL, several times
It's not me, the mix is flawed, on that one track; (DVD Audio only!)

Amazing fidelity; One COMPLAINT
The guitars in Cowboy Movie, are only faint on the DVD Audio
The CD mix is PERFECT!
I've checked the surround set-up in my Acura TL, several times
It's not me, the mix is flawed, on that one track; (DVD Audio only!)

Don't think I can agree on that, CPR. I played the CD and the dvd-a - trying to compare. It's a bit tricky because I only have one player and there is some delay in getting the other disc cued. But I wouldn't say the guitars on the dvd-a are faint. Alot of the lead comes out of the rears while the rhythm stays in the mains. Maybe that's the difference you are hearing. To me the 5.1 is fuller. I especially like the section right after the line "something here ain't exactly right" - the guitars there really groove in surround.

Nope; guitars seem fine to me in both versions. 5.0 DVD-A mix is even better defined and so room filling and organic in it's sound.

Relatedly, I play bass & guitar, mix my own stuff in 5.1 and complain loudly when a mix is goofy.

Back