HiRez Poll Doors - PERCEPTION (DVD-A Box Set)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Doors - PERCEPTION

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Currently available in a boxed set, these may be sold at a later date individually, at which time seperate threads will be created for the included titles (L.A. Woman already exists)

Please post your thoughts and comments on the box in general, and any thoughts you have on the specific titles within the box as well!

(y) :phones (n)

Attachments

• doorsbox.jpg
    doorsbox.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 861
Haven't listened yet, but the cheapest "High St." shop price seems to be Borders, matching Amazon at £54.99. Also cheapest for the Beatles at £15.99.

Good price. I managed to get mine via the HMV website for £53.99 with an offer via linemypocket.co.uk which I thought was a good deal. Unfortunately, the only wrapping HMV thought necessary was a sheet of brown paper so it became a victim of the postal service and has had to go back. The only people who will make anything from this transaction is the post office. When will online retailers realise that they need to provide some decent packaging for collectors' items?

:mad:

I'm only half way through but this set is amazing. I did round up from a 9.5 because I wish some of the mixes were a little more aggresive, others are great. As far as sound quality goes it's definitely a ten in my book. I jumped off the couch looking for someone who was whistling behind me (even though I was the only one in the house) [And I do not believe in "better living through chemistry:)]. I'm more of an SACD person (300 sa/ 33 dvd-a) but I would have to say the S/T & Waiting for the Sun are the best DVD-A I own as far as sound quality. Most of my listening has been M/C. I'm kind of hoping I can get out of work early tomorrow to get back to listening to this.

Initial listening did not please me. Clarity exemplary. Too much in the front three speakers and not enough in the rears for me. Only saving grace so far being When The Music's Over.

I prefer the quad mixes.

I won't vote until I've listened again a few times. Meanwhile, I've bought some jewel cases to keep the discs in.

I would give this a 10 as it is the best collection of Doors material I will likely ever own. I would give this a 9 for the exceptional clarity and detail of the recording. I would give this an overall 7 for the surround mixes - I have less of a problem with ambience in the rears when there are no overdubs available than I do with the drums being positioned only in the center and front right. I would give the individual packages a 9 for design and presentation - although they are just a bit on the flimsy side. I would give the Perception Box design and execution a 5 - a big misfire IMHO.

Seeing as it is all about the music (The box will be jettisoned) - an 8 overall.

Superb fidelity. Plenty of superb content. Mix one helluva let down for me. Packaging clever, but I dread to think what that metal part will do to the case of whatever is next to it.

NOT been able to confirm this 100% as yet - but don't eBay those old DVD-A copies of LA Woman!!
Why - not because this is bad in the new set, but because it sounds different to the other mix.
This is a "first glance" play of "The Changeling", but the newer version sounds like a different mix, and at the very very least is a different Mastering.
I will be playing both versions in full over the weekend, but honestly, it sounds different.
New version is definitely punchier, and the placement does not sound the same to me.

Mine just arrived in perfect condition from amazon UK. The customs I paid was pretty much the Canadian taxes so it still worked out to around $120 CDN delivered. Pretty good. $20 per title plus of course the Perception box which made an excellent sturdy packing crate if nothing else. Listening to the first disc. Lots of distortion in certain tracks and the bass is all over the place. It's probably the best that this title is going to sound anyway. I will vote once I have gone through the entire set a few times. Certainly can't base the score on the first disc. Hopefully the rest sounds a lot better. I already know that LA Woman does because I have the Original DVD-A.

Last edited:
Half way through the 3rd disc. Still underwhelmed. At this point I would vote 6 but I will listen to everything in it's entirety twice at least before I actually vote. So far I am hearing nothing outstanding.

Only listened to the first disc but thus far the surround mix is a big disappointment. I will be hanging on to my Q4 & Q8. I will vote after I have listened to all of the surround mixes but my expectations have been considerably lowered.

Tom

Just to offer another initial perspective, I avoided the obvious temptation to start with the first album, after already having read some time ago about its lack of significant surround. Similarly, I already have LA Woman, so no need to start at the end. My choice was to dive right in the middle at my two least favorites: Soft Parade and Waiting for the Sun. Frankly, I’m pretty satisfied with the surround mixes on these two - - conservative yes, but not lacking in a way that some general posts about the set might lead one to believe.

Not sure what others were expecting, but I already knew from LA Woman that Botnick is no Elliot Scheiner or Jerry Harrison, so I wasn’t expecting him to somehow "see the light" and provide me with a Brick-like out-of-box experience. I guess since I wasn’t expecting this to be a 10 by forum standards, I’m not disappointed with what I’ve heard so far. Meanwhile, I’ve enjoyed listening to the two releases which I’d always dismissed as the Doors’ weakest, far more than ever. The strings and horns on Soft Parade for example, are much more fun in surround.

Lastly, having never been a Doors completist, I really like what I’ve sampled of the extras. Looking forward to continue digging in.

Only listened to the first disc but thus far the surround mix is a big disappointment. I will be hanging on to my Q4 & Q8. I will vote after I have listened to all of the surround mixes but my expectations have been considerably lowered.

Tom
I have not listened to it all Tom, but Touch Me off Soft Parade was damn good.

Neil,

How is the surround mix on Morrison Hotel?

Only 3 tracks in so far, but very very good from what I have heard.
Roadhouse Blues rocks like a bastard, and Waiting for the sun is incredibly powerful.
BTW - The sleeve notes say there is 45 minutes of out-takes from Roadhouse Blues, but I can only count 25 mins. (only!)

More when I get around to a full write-up early next week.

Only 3 tracks in so far, but very very good from what I have heard.
Roadhouse Blues rocks like a bastard, and Waiting for the sun is incredibly powerful.
BTW - The sleeve notes say there is 45 minutes of out-takes from Roadhouse Blues, but I can only count 25 mins. (only!)

More when I get around to a full write-up early next week.

I believe that there are plenty of other Morrison Hotel outtakes but the weaker ones and the roudhouse blues with 'explicet' lyrics were left of for space and the need to avoid a 'parental advisory sticker' on the box, although including the F^*ks in the End aparently dont count;) .

It is rumoured that theer willl be a separate 'missing rarities' set next year with content as where available chosen by the hardcore fans signed on to the Doors forum. Maybe Paris Blues from the LA woman session, the prviously mention Roadhouse Blues etc.

Quite a good time to be a Doors Fan properly celebrating 40 years. only 10 more and they are out of copyright in the UK but thats another story

I listened and "looked at" the first LP. It is clearly a very discrete 3.1 mix. Vocals in center, stereo spread in the FR/FL, and ambience in the rears.

Given that limitation, it sounds great, but as a 5.1 mix it is lacking.

Now, on to the others............

I am voting now. The last 2 discs are sonically acceptable and quite good actually with Morrison Hotel being the best of the bunch. Here is an example of one of the things that annoys me even about that disc. You get the bass adjusted for "Roadhouse Blues" so it doesn't sound thin and then "Waiting For The Sun" kicks in and the bass is so heavy that it is close to overdriving the sub. If you set the disc for this song then some of the others on the disc sound positively anemic.The top end pretty much sucks on all the discs though as well. I am voting 6 on the content of the regular albums for the sonics and mix. They range from 4 to 8 pretty much going from the first album up. I however am going to boost the score to 7 because of the excellent extras most of which are sonically better than the regular tracks. I am however generally disappointed by this release and it will definately be the last Doors stuff I buy.

I am voting now. The last 2 discs are sonically acceptable and quite good actually with Morrison Hotel being the best of the bunch. Here is an example of one of the things that annoys me even about that disc. You get the bass adjusted for "Roadhouse Blues" so it doesn't sound thin and then "Waiting For The Sun" kicks in and the bass is so heavy that it is close to overdriving the sub. If you set the disc for this song then some of the others on the disc sound positively anemic.The top end pretty much sucks on all the discs though as well. I am voting 6 on the content of the regular albums for the sonics and mix. They range from 4 to 8 pretty much going from the first album up. I however am going to boost the score to 7 because of the excellent extras most of which are sonically better than the regular tracks. I am however generally disappointed by this release and it will definately be the last Doors stuff I buy.
You should voice this on the Doors web board. They need to know. If Jerry Harrison can do the Heads right and the team that did Love can get it right, so can these guys.

You should voice this on the Doors web board. They need to know. If Jerry Harrison can do the Heads right and the team that did Love can get it right, so can these guys.

I might just do that. Too tired now. Honestly the extra tracks are what is getting me excited about this set. For instance all the "Roadhouse Blues" alternates and out-takes are really something to hear. I'm really enjoying the extras. It is good as well that they included them as DVD-A tracks. At the end of playing everything in the box there was nothing defective/authored wrong that I could detect. I of course don't know about the CD's. They look okay so I am assuming that they are. They will likely never get played anyway.

Back