Tommy Soundtrack Quad Question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Svensson

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I believe that someone else was asking about this recording about a month ago and don't recall if an answer was forthcoming so......If I recall the QS quad version of this on vinyl was on the Ode label (picture of a pinball on cover) yet the popular version is on Polydor and shows a photo/drawing of the fictional Tommy's head. Is it the same recording (guest artists, etc.) on both LPs? Also, you may note that their is a verison on Ebay right now "in the rare quadraphonic recording" as a Japanese import disc and it called
"Quintaphonic"! That's a new one. :D John

Quintaphonic was used at that time for movie theaters, which was a QS decoded soundtrack plus a third track for center channel used dialogues if I remember correctly.
For the LP cover the one with the "pinball" is the official Who version, and that with the boy is the movie soundtrack which is quad which was on Polydor label.

Thanks for the information Lucanu....I had never heard of Quintaphonic and thought that was some sort of error. So I guess you are safe buying the "boy" cover version of the soundtrack on CD and the QS decoding will be intact. John

I believe that someone else was asking about this recording about a month ago and don't recall if an answer was forthcoming so......If I recall the QS quad version of this on vinyl was on the Ode label (picture of a pinball on cover) yet the popular version is on Polydor and shows a photo/drawing of the fictional Tommy's head. Is it the same recording (guest artists, etc.) on both LPs? Also, you may note that their is a verison on Ebay right now "in the rare quadraphonic recording" as a Japanese import disc and it called
"Quintaphonic"! That's a new one. :D John

These are actually TWO totally different "Tommy's". The Ode version with the pinball was a symphonic version, NOT the soundtrack to the movie. Some of them were QS encoded, and they were marked that way with a sticker on the front.

The soundtrack to the movie (with Roger Daltry as Tommy on the cover) is reputed to be an unmarked QS release. I have a Japanese Polydor CD that decodes as it should, but it is not marked quad in any way. Understand that these are two TOTALLY different releases. Mike.

Aha...I had the Ode version several years ago and had a feeling that it was not the actual movie soundtrack (and knew that some of them were indeed QS). The first listing in this subject area lists the Polydor soundtrack as being a QS release so I thought that was pretty much confirmed also. Well, it's cheap enough to find a copy of that CD so I'll have to give it a try. John

I had the QS LP and Q8 of the Ode Tommy, with Rod Stewart/Ringo Starr, etc. I was going to do a DVD-A from the Q8, but when I listened to the recorded wav files, it seemed like it was not worth it. This release is more "Silverline" than "discrete", although there are some directional effects. It's more in line with some of the A&M Q8's like Herb Alpert.

Not one of the highlight QS albums or Q8 tapes. Nice packaging, though.

NOTE: The Q8 set came in an outer hard shell box (Not shown below)

Attachments

• tommy.jpg
    tommy.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 559
Nice pictures!!...

My ode lp copy has a qs sticker on the cover but the lp's look no different to the standard stereo ones...catalogue numbers are the same..was the sticker just a marketing gimmick?

To the Old Quad Guy....I'm no expert but I think that the general wisdom is that most "remasters" like your Amazon example tend to wipe out whatever vestige of a quad mix that was used for the CD...if it is indeed a QS mix I think you'd have to find the original CD release. John

Nice pictures!!...

My ode lp copy has a qs sticker on the cover but the lp's look no different to the standard stereo ones...catalogue numbers are the same..was the sticker just a marketing gimmick?

The QS LP is really QS. It's got the

QUADRAPHONIC
QUADRAPHONIC
QUADRAPHONIC
QUADRAPHONIC

on the label, as well as the QU Prefix. (QU-89001)

You might have the stereo LPs in the quad box!

Check out the cat. n. on the run-out area of each side, it may be a quad in disguise. That's the only way to know for sure what's on the groove.

To the Old Quad Guy....I'm no expert but I think that the general wisdom is that most "remasters" like your Amazon example tend to wipe out whatever vestige of a quad mix that was used for the CD...if it is indeed a QS mix I think you'd have to find the original CD release. John

I wouldn't be so quick to discount this as having quad properties intact. Unless it was remixed from the multi-trcks, there's a good chance that it still decodes in QS.

If it's been remastered digitally, the matrix will be buggered.

Yep, that has always been my assumption ... AAD likely retains the matrix encoding; ADD does not. Look for the oldest version you can find. The more they "try" to improve an older release, the more likely they will "bugger" it. Mike.

If it's been remastered digitally, the matrix will be buggered.

My cd is the 1993 version and it decodes perfectly. I don't see why a remaster would be much different. That is, unless of course they really went crazy on the EQ in the latest version.

Since I don't have the current version, I can't be sure. However, I still think it might decode. Anybody own the latest version?

Interesting stuff about remasters. I've got Mike Oldfield exposed remastered. Anyone hazzard a guess if this continues to be SQ ?

Interesting stuff about remasters. I've got Mike Oldfield exposed remastered. Anyone hazzard a guess if this continues to be SQ ?

My guess would be that it is not. It is an HDCD however. I have the original CD (which is actually marked "Quadraphonic"), and it is not an HDCD. Is your head spinning yet, mine is ... Mike.

Back