HiRez Poll Townshend, Pete - ROUGH MIX [DVD-A DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Townshend/Lane - ROUGH MIX

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Just got this album off of eBay! In a week or two, I'll be able to properly listen to this album and rate it! :)

Well it's an '8' for me. I like that the mix is very discrete, but the panning of certain elements is a little strange, plus some of the songs on the album are just plain weak.
It's strange to me that an album like this was released in 5.1 in full, yet we still have an incomplete Quadrophenia and no surround at all for "Who's Next"...

Reactions: GOS
Well it's an '8' for me. I like that the mix is very discrete, but the panning of certain elements is a little strange, plus some of the songs on the album are just plain weak.
It's strange to me that an album like this was released in 5.1 in full, yet we still have an incomplete Quadrophenia and no surround at all for "Who's Next"...
Did you check out the video interview with Townsend? It's pretty good.

Just received this one and have been playing it, time permitting, the last three days. I like the Lane and Townshend contrast a lot. The sound quality on my modest setup is quite good. Wasn't sure what to expect but this one is a keeper. I get an unusual Grateful Dead, America, Tom Petty and The Who sensation off this one.

Just received this one and have been playing it, time permitting, the last three days. I like the Lane and Townshend contrast a lot. The sound quality on my modest setup is quite good. Wasn't sure what to expect but this one is a keeper. I get an unusual Grateful Dead, America, Tom Petty and The Who sensation off this one.
Don't forget to view the interview with Townsend.

I like this disc a lot. I listen to it regularly and just had it in my player yesterday. I agree that Lane adds some great contrast to Townshend, and I think the Townsend songs on this disc are exceptional. And then there's the Clapton Dobro on a few songs that make this disc even more essential.

I've always liked "Rough Mix" (still have the LP somewhere) but admit I thought it was an odd choice for DVD-A surround when there were a bunch of Townshend and Who albums that so many fans were dying to hear in multi-channel. However, my reservations were eliminated after listening to this excellent disc. I've only listened to the 5.1 track and can't comment on the redbook stereo layer. It's an active and artful surround mix -- nicely balanced with great clarity.

Lane's more folkish sounding tunes mixed with Townshend's melodic rock is a great combo, and the interviews, though short, are an interesting and fairly candid view into celebrity egos.

I bought this on eBay a few weeks ago and have been enjoying it immensely. Although I don't consider it essential Who or Townshend, the songs are good. The fidelity is excellent and the mix is very discrete. Rates an 8 for me. Interesting combo as noted on older comments. Glad I found this one.

Short little thread for such a good disc! Rough Mix's folky tones make it a weird outlier in Pete's discog(and maybe Ronnie's?) but it's a great record and the surround mix here is active and room filling and really pleasant, didn't expect such a chill album to work in 5.1 so well. Also a nice booklet and cool video interview. 9!

Now, can anyone tell me what on earth this dualdisc is doing just existing? In the midst of a modest catalog reissue of Pete records, you got Who Came First, Empty Glass, Chinese Eyes, and... oh, Rough Mix is randomly a 5.1 dualdisc?? How and why? Like thank you, but also why was this the choice?

Now, can anyone tell me what on earth this dualdisc is doing just existing? In the midst of a modest catalog reissue of Pete records, you got Who Came First, Empty Glass, Chinese Eyes, and... oh, Rough Mix is randomly a 5.1 dualdisc?? How and why? Like thank you, but also why was this the choice?

The deeper you go into the multichannel hobby, the more examples of this you'll find - especially with the old '70s quad mixes. A given artist's "hit" or most well-known album getting the surround treatment often seems to be the exception rather than the rule. So it's easy to get frustrated, but I have to say that one of my favorite things about this hobby is discovering new music I wouldn't otherwise have sought out.

Don't think I had ever heard of Rough Mix until I found the DualDisc at a used bookstore in Toronto a few months back - with you all the way, it's a great overlooked surround disc.

The deeper you go into the multichannel hobby, the more examples of this you'll find - especially with the old '70s quad mixes. A given artist's "hit" or most well-known album getting the surround treatment often seems to be the exception rather than the rule. So it's easy to get frustrated, but I have to say that one of my favorite things about this hobby is discovering new music I wouldn't otherwise have sought out.

Don't think I had ever heard of Rough Mix until I found the DualDisc at a used bookstore in Toronto a few months back - with you all the way, it's a great overlooked surround disc.
Yeah it seems like half the time they do whatever the newest album is - Alanis Morrisette with Under Rug Swept instead of Jagged Little Pill? But surround is totally making me reach out to new music I'd otherwise have shrugged at. Never listened to In A Silent Way before the SACD :)

Another “revelation” in surround. Just picked up a sealed copy on eBay for a very reasonable price. I have had this CD for ages and always thought of it as sort of a marginally interesting side project.
This mix has changed my perspective completely.
Maybe because back in the day, I’d prefer fire-breathing Who tracks?
Either way, this is outstanding…really enjoying it.

It is a rather unexpected title to appear in a real 5.1 mix. Nobody could have decided on this title thinking of the sales potential bottom line. It was done because someone thought it was artistically worthy, and multitracks available.

This album deserved another look, new coat of paint, fresh ears.

Back