HiRez Poll Barenaked Ladies - ARE ME [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Barenaked Ladies - ARE ME

• 10: Great Sonics, Great Surround, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Sonics, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this DVD-A Release from Desperation Records! (y) :phones (n)

Attachments

• barenaked2-1.jpg
    barenaked2-1.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 386
  • barenaked2-2.jpg
    barenaked2-2.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 384
I got mine in 2 days from CD Universe ($20.85). I posted the scans above.

This is a true double DVD-Audio set. According to the packaging, it has HiRez Stereo, 5.1, and Dolby Digital tracks. It comes with a booklet that includes lyrics to all of the tunes.

I have yet to listen to it, but this is amazing! An artist who cares enough about HiRez and surround to release a double disc DVD-A at a time when everyone else is jumping ship. These guys deserve our support, and who knows how many were made - so if you're interested I would get one soon and show that surround music has a market!

This is the third version of this album.
1. The regular redbook CD
2. A "Special Edition" with a second disc (presumably with the same contents on the second disc of the DVD-A set).
3. Two disc DVD-A (in a jewel box, thank you)

I'm glad this is available in DVD-A....I'll be buying it. But I'd sure be p%$$@d if I'd already bought one of the redbook versions.

Not a fan, but this is great for surround lovers. I see the name Bob Clearmountain on the back. This is a good thing! He's not only a great mixer of stereo and surround, but he's not heavy handed with compression like some engineers.

I'll have to check for this over at FYE. Online prices are insane on this.

Yesterday, I saw 2 copies at Best Buy (in the CD section). This same store didn't have any the week it was supposed to be out, so if anyone tried looking for it before, it might be worth taking a second look. It was about $22.00 or thereabout. I really really wanted to pick one up, but I had already ordered it from Amazon. I do look forward to hearing it, though, and will post a rating within the next few weeks I'm sure. And even though I haven't heard the final result yet, I do want to thank the Barenaked Ladies for continuing to put out DVD-Audio surround sound albums. Thank you!

$20.85 is insane for a 2 DVD-Audio set? :confused:
And you expect to find it at FYE for less? Good luck.

Jon - not only is $20.85 a great price - FYE is likely to charge OVER retail list ($24.98) price if they carry it at all. With Google Checkout (available thru CD Universe) you can get an additional $10.00 discount if the total purchase is over $30.00. I added the new Foo Fighters DVD of their live acoustic show "Skin and Bones" with a fantastic Elliot Scheiner 5.1 mix. A great deal for under $30.00 including shipping. My shipment arrived yesterday - a great way to end 2006!

Happy New Year to all!!

Last edited:
I got my copy at a FYE store in NYC for $22.99.
The album is much better than the Ladies last effort but there is only a single disc's worth of good songs here.

How strange... our Circuit City in Mansfield, Ohio, stopped carrying DVDAs well over a year ago - possibly two - although they have had the CD+DVDA sets. So I took a chance tonight and there it was, in all its glory, the 2-DVDA set by BNL for $20.99! I guess there are some things I'll never understand.

I'm not going to vote yet because I've only gotten through the first five songs, but so far it's outstanding. I lost interest in BNL after their first few albums, so maybe my time away has given me a fresh perspective on their music. And you know, sometimes you get a multichannel disc and you sit there and wait for it to prove itself, but this mix satisfies right out of the gate. Wonderful sounds filling the room. I can't wait to hear the rest.

Paul

I've listened only to the 1st disc so far, but... I think it's pretty good. It's probably not going to be a demo disc that you break out to impress friends since it doesn't have lots of aggressive ping-pong action, but the quality is good. Vocals are spread across the front left/center/right channels and the surrounds are definitely adding to the overall ambience yet without drawing too much attention to themselves. (Still discrete, though.) Sonics are nice enough, too. I'll need to listen to the second disc before voting, but I'm fairly happy so far.

This one’s really interesting, and kind of difficult to measure. On one hand, disc 1 (the original “BNL Are Me” cd) sounds great in surround. As expected, very nice work from Bob Clearmountain. I think the mix is significantly better than their previous two surround releases. The colorful instrumentation (banjo, melodica, accordion, cello, horn flavorings) is especially wonderful in 5.1 - - I’m a sucker for that kind of stuff.

Meanwhile , disc 2 also contains consistently solid tunes and is mixed equally well, but frankly 110 minutes and 29 songs between the two discs is just too much to digest. This must be the longest studio release I've bought since the Clash’s Sandinista 25 years ago - - and I thought that was at least one platter too long… I say just give me your 40 best minutes; that’s all I really want.

As such, I’ve found the best way to enjoy this is to not listen to it in an album context, but rather just play either disk in random mode for 10 songs. It’s against my nature, but listening in that way I’ve really been enjoying it - - and each evening I get a bit different listening experience. It’s a fine way to kick off the 2007 surround calendar and I give it a heartily recommended 8.

Couldn't find it at FYE or CC, but that's ok since I got it from tower.com during their sale for a total of 16.86. Still haven't opened it since I bought so much other stuff.

I picked this one up about two years ago and just now played it for the first time. Allmusic.com indicates the group has a 2006 album titled "Barenaked Ladies Are Me" and a 2007 album titled "Barenaked Ladies Are Men" and this DVD-A is apparently both of them. Whatever it is, it is lightweight fun and is an excellent package. This group has three DVD-A's I am aware of and I have passed on the other two a number of times but might pick them up if I see them again at a bargain price. This isn't great art and I must say I am surprised a group can make music like this commercial in this day but it sure beats most albums I have heard from the last few years in my opinion.

Chris

Picked this up recently as I had the others and quite liked them so go for the big double DVDA set. Glad i did now for me this is the best of the lot. The music is good and diverse, the surround use is excellent. Very good value dont know why i did not pick this up when it was released. 9/10 for me.

Trying to get more votes in on discs I haven't voted on yet!

It's funny, I like Barenaked Ladies and I have all of their DVD-As (plus some earlier CDs before I got into surround) but I hardly ever play them. I bought this, played it once, liked it well enough but filed it and didn't pull it out for a year or two.

Played it again the last day or so...and I really enjoyed it...good songs, love the mix, gave it a 9.

I think I've got to force myself to listen more closely to some of my discs that I've hardly ever played, especially when it's something that I should already be disposed to like. I'm afraid I've amassed so much music now, surround and stereo, that I have a number of gems like this sitting in a drawer, waiting for the light of day and a re-listen.

Wish they would have done their album "Gordon" in surround.

Last edited:
Back