An ULTRA ULTRA ULTRA RARE 5.1 SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sure I have missed many interesting threads like this one as was not aware of this album in 5.1.
Good snag Adam, that is sure rare and what a weird thing to do by the band or the label.
Why wouldn't they just release it to everyone.
I wasn't interested in the stereo only but would have gone for a true 5.1 of this band for a reasonable price.
Who did the mix of this album in 5.1?
thanks for sharing Adam.....

afaik, I don't think it's all true 5.1 from multi's, I think a lot of it is upmixed from 2-ch masters?

afaik, I don't think it's all true 5.1 from multi's, I think a lot of it is upmixed from 2-ch masters?

The album has some of both - true 5.1 and upmixes. Doesn't the album credits tell you which tracks are true 5.1 and which are upmixes?
I seem to recall that the album tells you which is which. Right?

The album has some of both - true 5.1 and upmixes. Doesn't the album credits tell you which tracks are true 5.1 and which are upmixes?
I seem to recall that the album tells you which is which. Right?

Yes, the 4 songs that the SACD says are 5.1 mixes are:
Half Past One
Below This Level
Smoke
Get The Can

The CAN DVD also has these 4 songs in 5.1 and a section titled:
Making of the 5.1 Remixes
with footage and interview
Holger Czukay
Jaki Liebezeit
Irmin Schmidt

vinylguy4

...it was a lot, lot cheaper than the other seller was asking, who now seems to have withdrawn their listing after all this time (or they haven't got around to relisting it yet, or I just can't find it!).
Probably the same seller. List one at a crazy price then list it again under a different userid for less so the buyer thinks he has found a deal.

Yes, the 4 songs that the SACD says are 5.1 mixes are:
Half Past One
Below This Level
Smoke
Get The Can

The CAN DVD also has these 4 songs in 5.1 and a section titled:
Making of the 5.1 Remixes
with footage and interview
Holger Czukay
Jaki Liebezeit
Irmin Schmidt

vinylguy4

ah there you go, thanks vinylguy4 (y)

Probably the same seller. List one at a crazy price then list it again under a different userid for less so the buyer thinks he has found a deal.

could be! he must have moved to another country too in the meantime but all possible. I'd hardly call it a deal btw.. ;)

FYI

1. Spoon (from Ege Bamyasi) [03:07]
2. Yoo Doo Right (edit, from Monster Movie) [08:27]
3. One More Night (from Ege Bamyasi) [05:36]
4. Half Past One (from Landed) * [04:35]
5. Mushroom (from Tago Mago) [04:03]
6. Oh Yeah (from Tago Mago) [07:24]
7. Halleluwah (edit, from Tago Mago) [09:35]
8. Sing Swan Song (from Ege Bamyasi) [04:35]
9. Tango Whiskyman (from Soundtracks) [04:03]
10. Below this Level (from Rite Time) * [02:16]
11. Smoke (from Flow Motion) * [03:17]
12. Get the Can (available only on Can DVD) * [02:02]
13. She Brings the Rain (from Soundtracks) [04:06]

All tracks rendered into 5.1 surround sound from the original stereo master tapes by Andreas Torkler at Sonopress, attentded by Irmin Schmidt, Holger Czukay and Jono Podmore
except * remixed in 5.1 from the original multi-tracks as part of Can DVD (SpoonDVD17)
Mixed at Studios 301, Cologne, Germany
Original master tapes restored and transferred by Andreas Torkler at Sonopress.
Mix engineer: Jono Podmore
Assistant engineer: Mark Tittmann
Mastered at Studios301, Cologne, Germany by Mazen Murad

I was able to pick up a copy of this promo SACD for $150 from England through Discogs. Wow - really enjoying it. CAN was meant to be heard in surround!!!!

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread but I was thinking for anyone here who is looking for this one,
there is an eBay auction for it here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAN-SACD-...928642?hash=item5d60610182:g:m2kAAOSwDNdV4LsD

They will NOT ship to the US but I did notice from the SACD label that ONLY 4 cuts were remixed from multitrack sources and the rest were 'rendered' from the original stereo master tapes.....upmixes?

I have almost ALL of the CAN Stereo SACDs and of course would love to hear them in discrete surround but this compilation seems short on achieving that goal.

Adam, do you have this disc and if so, is it worth seeking out?

They will NOT ship to the US but I did notice from the SACD label that ONLY 4 cuts were remixed from multitrack sources and the rest were 'rendered' from the original stereo master tapes.....upmixes?

I have almost ALL of the CAN Stereo SACDs and of course would love to hear them in discrete surround but this compilation seems short on achieving that goal.

Adam, do you have this disc and if so, is it worth seeking out?

True. Most of the tracks on the Special Can Multichannel SACD Sampler are upmixes.

I have this compilation and the upmixes do sound good. The starting price is great. Too bad they only ship with the UK only. if you are a CAN fan and can get this at a good price I'd go for it. :)

Yes - and yes - but then I'm an SACD zealot weirdo, as you know..

But...but...Adam...these contain the "dreaded" upmixes...the neighbors will talk...Ralphie will be denied privleges at the Country Club if anybody finds out....heavens to murgatroyd...what a crisis....hehe...I couldn't resist...back to our regular programming:spot

But...but...Adam...these contain the "dreaded" upmixes...the neighbors will talk...Ralphie will be denied privleges at the Country Club if anybody finds out....heavens to murgatroyd...what a crisis....hehe...I couldn't resist...back to our regular programming:spot

Oh yes! What was I thinking? :yikes

I better throw it in the garbage... :eek:

Ralph! What ever you do, do NOT buy this incredibly rare and sought after SACD..!!! :D

This SACD is an upper and a downer.. life's a barbiturate and then you die.

Yep, AB........BTW, ALL the CAN Stereo SACDs sound marvelous in PLII or the equivalent. LOTS of out of phase info on those puppies!

I've been playing my KINKS Stereo SACDs this week. There are 15 of them. LOVE Muswell Hillbillies and Sleepwalkers....and ALL THOSE BONUS TRACKS!:yikes

Yep, AB........BTW, ALL the CAN Stereo SACDs sound marvelous in PLII or the equivalent. LOTS of out of phase info on those puppies!

I've been playing my KINKS Stereo SACDs this week. There are 15 of them. LOVE Muswell Hillbillies and Sleepwalkers....and ALL THOSE BONUS TRACKS!:yikes

Yes I did a thread on it here one time, or at least slung in a few posts in a thread about it here one time, several of the Can SACDs do indeed pan out great in PLII..!

Ah.. I don't have very many Kinky SACDs but the one's I do are great and I would never give them the (kinky) boot.. ho ho ho :D

Back