SQ Blue oyster Cult "Agents of fortune" release

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Quad Guy

Quadraphonic Preservation
Staff member
After much soul searching and at the risk of sounding like the guy who once claimed he had a SQ Pink Floyd "Animals" record -

I did have a SQ Blue oyster Cult Agents of fortune release. I swear to it. I sold it in 1979 at the Pleasant Hill "Rasputin's Records" a record retailer who bought and sold used and new records. I needed the money at the time and regret my selling of this record. When I resumed my Quad interest around 2000 and started searching for Quad records on the net and ebay I was shocked to not only not find it anywhere for sale but that it did not exist in any Quad databases. I bought this record around 1975-77 around the time it first came out. I distinctly remembering it had the usual Columbia "SQ Quadraphonic" logo in white at the top in the middle front part of the jacket. It also had the usual gold labels on the record. I remember it had a killer mix and the right rear speaker had the Patty Smith spoken word part in the song "The Revenge Of Vera Gemini." I used to work at record stores off and on around 1976-78 and in addition I went out of my way buying rare records in Berkeley at "Rather Ripped Records." My record habit in the 1970s was to always buy the Quad version of a new release, even CD-4 because you could play all formats in stereo. The only conclusion I have about this record at this point - why I had it was that Blue oyster Cult we're very popular here in the San Francisco Bay Area playing live at least 3 or 4 times a year (Day On The Green stadium shows and small clubs). Also we're not that far from the LA area where I presume it was originally pressed. Like you would doubt as well, I have often thought that if it really did exist wouldn't it have showed up by now on ebay? I can only say look at all the extremely rare Quadraphonic records and 8 tracks you never knew existed that pop up a very rare once in a while. Is it possible to ask Blue oyster Cult themselves or the people who originally mixed these Quadraphonic records for CBS about this record? I have wondered: is it possible that some quadraphonic releases never survived out of the 1970s because of their rarity? One must consider all the record collections that we're thrown in the garbage with the advent of CDs in the 1980s.

While I have that white SQ logo from the record album's cover burned in my memory I know that offers no prima facie evidence. I post this thread in the hopes that someone else also had this record or can shed some light on the matter.

Last edited:
Well, it would have to have been PCQ-34164, and although there IS a PCQ-34165 (Aerosmith Rocks), I do not recall this being a quad release.

However it IS in the right timeframe and catalog number range, and B.O.C. did have two prior SQ LPs, so this one could have been planned. Maybe this was a test pressing or radio station promo copy.

The 34xxx series were the last releases from Columbia, back in 1976/77.

You can see the entire output of Columbia/Epic releases here at QQ, of course! :D

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/Columbia.htm

Thanks Jon for the info. I was 17 when I had the record, that would be 1976.
Also consider the many CBS records 70s quad releases that we're remixed into SACD: Isley Brothers 3+3, Aerosmith TITA and of course Blue oyster Cult "Agents of fortune."

I'd better find the record I've been talking about otherwise I'm in SQ Animals land.

Here is a clue! I found this CBS Quad record that has the Quad logo as I described in the middle top front cover of record except here the logo is in black not white.

I am curious about the CBS records Quad logo placement at the top middle (small logo looking exactly like this one): was it done during a specific time period and then changed or was the placement random? The answer might narrow the time period when it was released.

I was hoping when I posted yesterday someone would immediately confirm that they had the record or knew of it.

Attachments

• e953_1.jpg
    e953_1.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Yes, the later Columbia SQs had only the tiny block logo as shown on this LP. The single inventory ones, like "Annie", barel indicated SQ at all!

If that LP did exist, it would have had that type of logo, just like the Aerosmith LP right after it in the pressing number sequence. Maybe you did have a promo copy.

Seems it was depending on the graph of the cover; for example, Santana "Festival" PCQ 34423 use that kind of logo in yellow and on top right corner.

Well, it would have to have been PCQ-34164, and although there IS a PCQ-34165 (Aerosmith Rocks), I do not recall this being a quad release.

However it IS in the right timeframe and catalog number range, and B.O.C. did have two prior SQ LPs, so this one could have been planned. Maybe this was a test pressing or radio station promo copy.

The 34xxx series were the last releases from Columbia, back in 1976/77.

You can see the entire output of Columbia/Epic releases here at QQ, of course! :D

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/Columbia.htm

I'm curious now about CBS records numbering system for records in the 1970s. When CBS numbered a stereo and Quad record did they just add the "Q" to PC-34164 (<-which is the stereo number for BOC AOF) of did they give separate numbers for Quad records?
If I recall correctly the record I had looked like any other regular release with cellophane - with the exception of the small white Quad logo at the top middle front of record and it was not the only copy. Most likely I bought it at Warehouse records in Concord Park n Shop around June-July 1976. Quad records we're mixed in with the stereo versions when you bought records depending on the store.

I'm not sure if it was a test pressing - I don't recall it being one - although if it was it would have had the "gold stamp" of it being a demonstration record not for sale that Columbia put on the upper left top back of records - If I'm not mistaken.

It was not a gatefold version. When did CBS change the stereo record from gatefold to non-gatefold? Did they do this to save money? Could this have been a normal "Quad" release that was pulled because of the huge success of the stereo record and the record company did not want to "confuse" people with the two different mixes? Or when a Quad release was released like say Aerosmith "Rocks" how many we're pressed? The stereo version was BOC's huge break though success. If there wasn't that many Quad records released relative to the stereo versions the Quad versions could have just been sucked along with the stereo versions and lost over time.

Or maybe it wasn't intended for release and just a few got out. If I recall correctly - by 1976-77 Quad records had reached the top of their success and stereo was winning if it hadn't already won by then. This could be why SQ "Animals" was not released - the record companies thought there wasn't enough interest to make money from such releases. Maybe CBS was indifferant about the Quad record like the general record buying public was at the time. At least we know there was a planned SQ "Animals" release.

At this point we have some prima facie evidence that it's totally not impossible that this record existed - but without verifiable evidence we have no definite proof.

BOC is going on tour in a few weeks or so, maybe if someone runs into one of the original members of the group they might know - although I have given records for some artists to autograph (I usually pick a rare one for them to sign) who claimed they never saw a particular record before.

Last edited:
The CBS "Family" of labels at the time was using the 3xxxx series of numbers for their releases. You can plainly see this on the QQ Columbia label pages.

The prefixes indicated the family label of the music (M=Masterworks, C=Columbia, E=Epic, Z= "other"), and a leading additional letter would indicate a premium list price (P= a dollar higher than normal, K= a different markup used for soundtracks/OCRs, G= and even higher list price). A trailing "Q" would signify quad.

Thus:
C-30322 was a list price Columbia stereo LP of "Pearl".
CQ-30322 was a list price Columbia quad LP of "Pearl"
PC-30322 was a list price Columbia stereo LP of "Pearl" after a price increase.
PCQ-30322 was a list price Columbia quad LP of "Pearl" after a price increase.

It almost appears that Columbia, like RCA, started their numbering schemes at the start of the "quad era", as LPs released before 1972 were 4 digit numbers. Columbia at 30001, RCA at 0001.

Gatefold releases were usually an artist preference, and sometimes added to the retail cost of the LP.

As for asking BOC, the amazing thing is that the artists of the time rarely knew what the record company was doing with their stuff, and if you ask them today about something that happened 30 years ago, many can't recall.

Heck, Neil gave a copy of a Q8 conversion to an artist with a very popular LP at the time, and their response was that they had no idea the album came out in quad back then!

Seems it was depending on the graph of the cover; for example, Santana "Festival" PCQ 34423 use that kind of logo in yellow and on top right corner.

And check out the almost invisible color coded labeling on Jeff Beck, blow By Blow!
Marc

I want to thank the Quadraphonic Board for keeping an open mind on this subject. Certainly I deserve at the very least to have rocks thrown at me for selling the record in the first place. Here is a mock up of the record as I remember it from a stereo gatefold version. Scanning the album cover at 200 DPI and the SQ Logo from a 1976 SQ record at the same 200 DPI - one finds the logo fits perfectly on the record cover without any changes in sizes of the 2 images.

I am Now constantly checking ebay and local record stores for this record. I'm buying and converting the stereo LP versions to CD and running them through my SQ decoder in the hope that some CBS records Red Label versions might be the Quadraphonic version. I just bought the SACD version and can't listen to it a second time. Again, in 2000 when I started looking for the Quad records I sold in 1979-80, "Wish You We're Here" and "Agents Of Fortune" we're on the top of my list to have again.

I did not plan to see BOC again, but: In addition I'll be going to the Mar 22, 2007 Blue Oyster Cult show 8:00 PM at Slim's San Francisco, to see if I can find any info from anyone - or if I'm lucky band members. Feel free to PM if you plan to go.

Tickets Can Be Bought here:
http://tickets.com/browse.cgi?pgid=2001292

See you at the show.

Attachments

• BOCAOF3.jpg
    BOCAOF3.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 189
Back