OFFICIAL Vehicles with Factory Surround Systems

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a price quote for a Genesis today with the tech package. I may go in for a test drive, just got to figure out which dvd-a I want to bring for the ride (y)

I have a test/demo disc that was given to me a couple of years ago by Acura; it's the one I always take for a DVD-A demo because of its final track, a instrument-by-instrument (and speaker-by-speaker) construction of a song that is intended to demonstrate the discrete sound separation of DVD-A. It gives a chance to sample speaker balance, sound integrity, etc.

It also has a variety of music, including a Doobie Brother sample that is offered in standard CD quality, followed by the same song in DVD-A 5.1 quality; the difference is particularly impressive that way.

I've also made a habit of taking the Fleetwood Mac DVD-A with "Go Your Own Way" on it, as well as a standard DVD and an iPod cued to the same track. It gives me a good way to sample the sound differences on the same cut.

I recently bought a 2006 Infiniti M35 with the Bose 14 speaker 5.1 surround system. It plays DVD Audio and DTS CD's. There is a standard 6 disc CD system in the dash with the DVD Audio player in the center console. It has personal surround speakers in the shoulders of the front seats and the surround effect is incredible. I haven't heard the Lexus or Cadillac surround systems, so I can't compare, but I am blown away every time I get in and crank the system up. It plays DVD video on the Nav screen when the parking brake is engaged. It could use a little more punch from the sub woofer, but it's not a major complaint. When I first test drove the car I was not aware that it had a 5.1 surround system, in fact I didn't even know they put them in cars. The salesman never even mentioned the system, I don't think he was aware of it either. I saw the speakers in the seats, but listening to the radio you don't get any surround out of the seat speakers. The radio in the car is quite unimpressive, average at best. I saw all of the speakers and was disappointed with what I was hearing. I started pushing buttons and the DVD Audio demonstration disk started playing, the seat speakers came alive, and I knew that I had to have it.

Just picked up my '09 Acura TL/Technology; WOW!
DVD Audio, DTS, Dolby Digital on 2 channel CD's, & Ipod
445 Watts/10 speakers; best stock audio you'll ever hear.
I had the '05/TL, with DVD Audio; no comparison.
I've heard nuances, on my DVD Audio's, I never knew existed.
Rock on!

Just picked up my '09 Acura TL/Technology; WOW!
DVD Audio, DTS, Dolby Digital on 2 channel CD's, & Ipod
445 Watts/10 speakers; best stock audio you'll ever hear.
I had the '05/TL, with DVD Audio; no comparison.
I've heard nuances, on my DVD Audio's, I never knew existed.
Rock on!

I've got a 2004 TL - it's what got me into surround music. It's got 119K miles and I'm considering a new car sometime in the next year. Surround is a mandatory feature as far as I'm concerned, and your review of the new TL sound puts it at the top of my list for 2010. Thanks!

I was thinking the same thing, Those new TL's look a bit strange on the outside, but the inside is amazing. Maybe in a few years it will be time to bag another. Hopefully, the DVD-A capability will still be in there.

Thanks for the write up CPR. Got any interior pictures? :D

"best stock audio you'll ever hear"

Maybe, but did you listen to MY stock audio with 17 speakers and 7.1 Surround powered by 525 watts?

Not saying yours isn't spectacular, but I am saying mine is. ;-)

http://hyundai.lexicon.com/system.aspx

I just reread that post, and if it comes off as snarky I apologize. That wasn't the intent, only the product of a rush posting.
Though anyone who requires surround in a new car SHOULD at least take a DVD-A to a Hyundai dealer for a "test listen".

I was thinking the same thing, Those new TL's look a bit strange on the outside, but the inside is amazing. Maybe in a few years it will be time to bag another. Hopefully, the DVD-A capability will still be in there.

Thanks for the write up CPR. Got any interior pictures? :D

No pictures, but there's plenty of them on Edmunds.com, or Yahoo Autos
New car is amazing; blows away my '05TL(y)

Can anyone else fill in some blanks? Any new cars out there with DVD-A? SACD? Dolby Surround (for audio, not video)

Any cars formerly with DVD-A that no longer have the capability in the new models?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Can anyone else fill in some blanks? Any new cars out there with DVD-A? SACD? Dolby Surround (for audio, not video)

Any cars formerly with DVD-A that no longer have the capability in the new models?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

The Hyundai Genesis w/Tech package handles everything except SACD. Once again, I encourage anybody interested to go for a test listen.
From the site:
To further enhance your listening experience, the Lexicon system is compatible with a wide variety of media, including CD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, MP3, Video CD and compatible formats, including PCM, Dolby® Digital, and DTS®.
http://hyundai.lexicon.com/hyundai.aspx

I was looking through the Dodge website checking out small pickup trucks for a survey, and when I "built" a Dakota Laramie, I saw in the graphics an in-dash player that had a DVD-Video/Audio logo on it!

Does anyone know anything about Chrysler/Dodge vehicles having DVD-Audio and/or Surround systems installed in them?

http://www.dodge.com/en/2009/dakota/innovations/multimedia/

Attachments

• dodge dakota.jpg
    dodge dakota.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 424
Jon, my friend's Jeep has one of these units in it. Yes, it will play dvd-a discs as well as dts. However, they down-mix to 2 channel. Ugh!

Jon, my friend's Jeep has one of these units in it. Yes, it will play dvd-a discs as well as dts. However, they down-mix to 2 channel. Ugh!

Man, that is a disgrace. Like Larry said , "What's the point?" :mad:@:

Off topic? If so, apologies...

I'm curious as to your "sweet spot" settings in the car. As I've mentioned, I don't have any other MC player but my car and in numerous reviews on this site the sweet spot is mentioned for in-home listening.

Anyway, mine is 3 clicks to the rears and 1 to the left with flat EQ for most DVD-A's.

Yours?

Off topic? If so, apologies...

I'm curious as to your "sweet spot" settings in the car. As I've mentioned, I don't have any other MC player but my car and in numerous reviews on this site the sweet spot is mentioned for in-home listening.

Anyway, mine is 3 clicks to the rears and 1 to the left with flat EQ for most DVD-A's.

Yours?

How is the bass in the genesis? I've seen some complaints about anemic bass, but I'm not sure if this is the source material being played, poor setup with the sound system, or perhaps the bass is lacking. Your thoughts?

Hi all, FWIW I was looking up some specs on the VW Jetta Sportwagen (I believe outside the US it is considered a Golf) and saw it had an optional nav/dvd system listed as model "RNS 510". When I googled that for more info I found this page which lists it as having DVD-Audio capability.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a5/rns510_FAQ.htm
http://gli.mobius-one.com/2008/09/12/rns510-oem-navigation-system/

And I also found a vw forum post from 2008 that says RNS-510 does DVD-Audio:
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1427a8/75

Additional Info:
I also see that the Alpine DHA-S690 (an aftermarket 6-disc DVD changer for Alpine receivers) can play DVD-Audio discs. Well I guess that means I won't have to restrict my new car search to those that come with DVD-Audio capability :)

Last edited:
How is the bass in the genesis? I've seen some complaints about anemic bass, but I'm not sure if this is the source material being played, poor setup with the sound system, or perhaps the bass is lacking. Your thoughts?

I've seen those complaints too, and I think it's a combination of your list above. The Genesis comes with a couple versions of Lexicon, with only 1 capable of playing DVD A or V. Most of the complaints seem to be centered on XM or FM, with a smattering of UBS users too. I suspect their systems are CD only, and they haven't experienced MC yet.
For me, the bass is rendered clearly with no distortion even at high volumes. I mostly use flat EQ, but selecting the Rock preset or shaping EQ manually can cause stares at a stoplight. Some like that, but I'd rather listen to PT as Steven Wilson created it. Two more points:
1. The complainers (and those that agree) are a very small subset of Genesis drivers. The vast majority, especially those with MC capabilities seem as happy as me.
2. Any dealer should be happy to let you bring in a DVD-A for a test listen. I think you'll find the experience worthwhile, but find out for yourself.

And perhaps Cliffbig will weigh in?

Thanks for the reply. It's good to hear that it seems to be a problem with the source they're listening to. I trust your experience listening to hi-rez music much more than some guy ranting about low bass from his mp3's!

2010 Buick LaCrosse: Audio System Specs

ENTERTAINMENT FEATURES
HARMAN/KARDON 384-WATT 11-SPEAKER 5.1 SURROUND SYSTEM
Speakers: 12
Steering wheel mounted audio controls
1st row LCD monitors: 1
CD/DVD player
Wireless connectivity
MP3 decoder
Internet access capable
Entertainment system
AM/FM radio