OFFICIAL Vehicles with Factory Surround Systems

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just had a very nice surprise. My Audi A5 3.0 TDI Quatro 2009 with MMI plus (Multi Media Interface Plus) plays DVD-Audio DTS 5.1 discs!

[EDIT: After more testing next morning it seems this will only play from 'VIDEO_TS' folder. It does play DTS 5.1 from the VOB files]

I just whacked XTC - Nonsuch in and after a small wait, bang the main DVD-A menu comes up on the 7" screen. I select Audio format, then DTS 5.1 96/24. Back to first song. It plays in 5.1! (I also have the Bang & Olefsen 10 speaker system upgrade, so this sounds pretty damn good!)

Toot, toot!

Media supported:
MP3 from CD, SD Card, DVD Audio/video, built-in Hard disk, DVD drive, iPod (MDI), USB, Aux-in, Bluetooth streaming available through aftermarket solutions

Audi Models supported:
A1 Week 34/2010>
A1 Sportback Week 45/2011>
A4 Lim.+ Avant Week 22/2009>
A4 Allroad Week 22/2010>
A5 Week 36/2008>
A5 Sportback+Cabriolet Week 45/2008>
A6 (4F) Week 41/2008>
A6 (4G)
A7
A8(4E) Week 36/2008>
A8 (4H)
Q3>
Q5 2009>2012
Q5 Hybrid Week 26/2011>2012
Q7 Week 22/2009>

Basically all current and Audi models back to those dates above with latest MMI add-on & B&O sound upgrade will support 5.1 audio on DVD-A and DVD-V, although probably only DTS (not MLP) based on what I've read (no mention of MLP, nothing explicitly says 'no MLP' - but there was nothing in my manual saying DTS, DVD-A or 5.1 either...)

I will try a few more DVD-As tomorrow and post a couple of photos.

I discovered this while trying some multi-channel AAC files today. Then while searching for 5.1 support on latest model Audis came across the info on MMI media support and models with DVD above....

Last edited:
If it's showing the DTS 96/24 choice, it's not playing DVD-A. It's playing the DVD-V level of the disc. No hi-rez.

Did some more testing this morning and Larry is right, the car DVD player is playing the video track (DTS 5.1). I've added an edit to last nights post above.

So far I've established:
DVD-Audio with MLP only will not play (e.g. Crowded House - Self Titled)
DVD-Audio with DTS-V DTS will play (e.g. Porcupine Tree - FOBP)

Is there a DVD-A that does not have MLP?

Is there a DVD-A that does not have MLP?

Actually yes - there are DVD-As that have Linear PCM rather than MLP...e.g. Lilium - Short Stories.... as well as hombrew DVD-As authored with out MLP... (e.g. via Cirlinca)

You won't be able to play the DVD-A content on your car player though.....

Actually yes - there are DVD-As that have Linear PCM rather than MLP...e.g. Lilium - Short Stories.... as well as hombrew DVD-As authored with out MLP... (e.g. via Cirlinca)

You won't be able to play the DVD-A content on your car player though.....

Thanks. I'm experimenting with a couple ways to burn DTS 5.1 Video to DVD without menus so I can just load a disc and so it plays in 5.1 (no need for video while I'm driving :) )

First looks promising (relatively quick, 10 or so minutes, with just a 'play' on start-up, no need to select audio format. However, this method did not work on first disc but did on 2nd. Needs more research) - basically copy the DVD-A/V without AUDIO_TS folder and menus, just copy the DTS 5.1 track.

Second method is to re-author a new DVD-V with just the DTS 5.1 track but with only a single 'still' video (album cover) - basically remove the video from the DVD-V leaving the DTS 5.1 track only. This takes 15 minutes to author then about 40 minutes to create/burn. Worked a treat, load and instant play - no menu. Disadvantage is effort/time required but advantage is I could make my own 'play list', including from multiple DVD-A/V discs.

I guess I'll play some more and then I'll move this post to a new thread in appropriate sub-form here, describe what I did and add a link from this thread to the new (keep this on topic)

I can confirm Audi models listed in earlier thread with MMI plus system with B&O sound system upgrade plays surround sound (just not DVD-A/MLP). I even ran a THX 5.1 speaker test I have on an old DVD-V and all 6 speakers played individually as the test cycled through each channel with a test tone: FL, C , FR, SR, SL, SW. (The Audi B&O system has 10 amplifiers).

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm experimenting with a couple ways to burn DTS 5.1 Video to DVD without menus so I can just load a disc and so it plays in 5.1 (no need for video while I'm driving :) )

First looks promising (relatively quick, 10 or so minutes, with just a 'play' on start-up, no need to select audio format. However, this method did not work on first disc but did on 2nd. Needs more research) - basically copy the DVD-A/V without AUDIO_TS folder and menus, just copy the DTS 5.1 track.

Second method is to re-author a new DVD-V with just the DTS 5.1 track but with only a single 'still' video (album cover) - basically remove the video from the DVD-V leaving the DTS 5.1 track only. This takes 15 minutes to author then about 40 minutes to create/burn. Worked a treat, load and instant play - no menu. Disadvantage is effort/time required but advantage is I could make my own 'play list', including from multiple DVD-A/V discs.

I guess I'll play some more and then I'll move this post to a new thread in appropriate sub-form here, describe what I did and add a link from this thread to the new (keep this on topic)

I can confirm Audi models listed in earlier thread with MMI plus system with B&O sound system upgrade plays surround sound (just not DVD-A/MLP)

I have created copies of DVD-Vs with all audio streams stripped apart from the DTS (but with the Video still in tact) using DVD Shrink.

I use Audiomuxer to re-author a disc with just DTS...works a treat.

I've also created DVD-As (or DVDs) of SACDs that I have for car playback.

I have created copies of DVD-Vs with all audio streams stripped apart from the DTS (but with the Video still in tact) using DVD Shrink.

I have used Audiomuxer to get 96kHz DTS off DVDs and Blu-rays into a FLAC but never used it to make a DVD-V. I will need to take a look. Any helpful hints?

I've all my SACDs in FLAC (via PS3 ISO first) but not sure how to get them into DTS format easily. (Seems it requires Surcode or similar. Is there another application you'd recommend?). I'm trialling a DVD authoring tool that claims it can convert 5.1 WAV to DTS. I will know soon if that actually works as I'm burning as I type.

(wish I was back in Wellington today. We've just had 4 days over 40 deg C. Today and yesterday both 44!! Many beers tonight!!)

[Edit: Success. Cyblink PowerDirector 12 created a DTS 5.1 48/24 1536kbps audio track on a DVD-V from a 5.1 48/24 WAV created by Foobar200 from a 5.1 FLAC first created by DVD-Audio Extractor from a DVD-Audio DTS 5.1 48/24 1536kbps track. Now that sounds like a long chain of conversions but I already had the 5.1 FLAC for my media player. I just had to convert to WAV for PowerDirector test as it does not support FLAC imports. Now it's Beer O'clock!]

Edit: Started a new thread in DTS Conversion sub-forum here to keep this on topic: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-5-1-Encoder!)&p=199761&viewfull=1#post199761

Last edited:

I've used Audiomuxer as well, but I believe you need to install a DTS encoder before it will work. I have the Surecode DVD-DTS encoder installed.

I just had a very nice surprise. My Audi A5 3.0 TDI Quatro 2009 with MMI plus (Multi Media Interface Plus) plays DVD-Audio DTS 5.1 discs!

[EDIT: After more testing next morning it seems this will only play from 'VIDEO_TS' folder. It does play DTS 5.1 from the VOB files]

I just whacked XTC - Nonsuch in and after a small wait, bang the main DVD-A menu comes up on the 7" screen. I select Audio format, then DTS 5.1 96/24. Back to first song. It plays in 5.1! (I also have the Bang & Olefsen 10 speaker system upgrade, so this sounds pretty damn good!)

Toot, toot!

Media supported:
MP3 from CD, SD Card, DVD Audio/video, built-in Hard disk, DVD drive, iPod (MDI), USB, Aux-in, Bluetooth streaming available through aftermarket solutions

Audi Models supported:
A1 Week 34/2010>
A1 Sportback Week 45/2011>
A4 Lim.+ Avant Week 22/2009>
A4 Allroad Week 22/2010>
A5 Week 36/2008>
A5 Sportback+Cabriolet Week 45/2008>
A6 (4F) Week 41/2008>
A6 (4G)
A7
A8(4E) Week 36/2008>
A8 (4H)
Q3>
Q5 2009>2012
Q5 Hybrid Week 26/2011>2012
Q7 Week 22/2009>

Basically all current and Audi models back to those dates above with latest MMI add-on & B&O sound upgrade will support 5.1 audio on DVD-A and DVD-V, although probably only DTS (not MLP) based on what I've read (no mention of MLP, nothing explicitly says 'no MLP' - but there was nothing in my manual saying DTS, DVD-A or 5.1 either...)

I will try a few more DVD-As tomorrow and post a couple of photos.

I discovered this while trying some multi-channel AAC files today. Then while searching for 5.1 support on latest model Audis came across the info on MMI media support and models with DVD above....

This is in the latest A4 brochure...but it does say creates exceptional 5.1!

A4_B&O.jpg

This is a list of currently available New & "Pre-Owned" cars with factory installed surround music systems. (Video systems w/Dolby Digital for movies not included)

Please respond to this thread if you have actually used/heard/seen a car/truck/suv with a factory installed surround system. I would like this to be an acurate list with verified information, as opposed to hear say.

Reply with the year and model of car, and I will add it to the list

Current list updated on 9/21/2012

------------------------------------------------------------------

Acura TL (2004-2007): Panasonic ELS 5.1 System - DVD-Audio/DTS;
(2008-present): Panasonic ELS 5.1 System - DVD-Audio/DTS/DPLII
Acura TL Type-S (2007): Panasonic ELS 5.1 System - DVD-Audio/DTS;
(2008): Panasonic ELS 5.1 System - DVD-Audio/DTS/DPLII
Acura RL (2005-2013): Bose 5.1 System - DVD-Audio/DTS
Acura RDX (2007-present): Panasonic ELS 5.1 System - DVD-Audio/DTS/DPLII
Acura MDX (2007-2013): Panasonic ELS 5.1 System - DVD-Audio/DTS/DPLII
Acura TSX (2009-present): Panasonic ELS 5.1 System - DVD-Audio/DTS/DPLII
Acura ZDX (2010): Panasonic ELS 5.1 System - DVD-Audio/DTS/DPLII

Buick Enclave (2008-present): DVD-Audio/DTS/DVD-Video
Buick LaCrosse (2010-present): DVd-Audio/DTS/DD/DVD-Video

Cadillac Escalade ESV (2007): DVD-Audio/DTS/DVD-Video
Cadillac Escalade EXT (2007): DVD-Audio/DTS/DVD-Video
Cadillac SRX (2007): DVD-Audio/DTS/DVD-Video
Cadillac STS (2007): DVD-Audio/DTS/DVD-Video
Cadillac STSV (2007): DVD-Audio/DTS/DVD-Video
Cadillac DTS (2007-2008): DVD-Audio/DTS/DVD-Video

GMC Acadia (2007): DVD-Audio/DTS/DVD-Video

Hyundai Genesis (2009-present): DVD-Audio/DVD-Video/DTS-CD

Infiniti M35/M45 (2007-present): Bose DVD-Audio/DVD-Video

Lexus IS (2006-present) Mark Levinson sound system - DVD-Audio/DTS/Dolby Digital/DVD Video
Lexus LS (2007) Mark Levinson sound system - DVD-Audio/DTS/Dolby Digital/DVD Video
Lexus GS (2007) Mark Levinson sound system - DVD-Audio/DTS/Dolby Digital/DVD Video
Lexus ES (2007) Mark Levinson sound system - DVD-Audio/DTS/Dolby Digital/DVD Video

Saturn Outlook (2008): DVD-Audio/DTS/DVD-Video

I am traveling on business to Utah and rented a vehicle through Avis. I was supposed to have a minivan, but it wasn't available so they said, "How about a 2014 Chevy Suburban?" I said fine and headed out on the 2.5 hour drive from Salt Lake to where I have a TV shoot tomorrow. As I was driving and trying to figure out how everything worked, the mirror adjustment, the AC, the cruise control, the radio, I noticed at the top of the radio panel the letters, "dts." I then looked closer and there is the DVD-Audio label. This damn car has multi-channel surround (which I've never experienced in a vehicle) and I don't have a single disc to play!!!!!!! :howl To make matters worse, I have a couple of multi-channel files on my laptop and if I had some blank dvd's I could burn some discs to play! But I'm in a tiny little podunk town of Garden City, Utah and there are barely any stores in town. Definitely no place selling blank dvd's. So, there it is.... right there in the dash just waiting for a surround sound disc. And I've got nothing! Very frustrating.

Sounds like it could be this:

"Entertain yourself with the available Bose Centerpoint® ten-speaker Surround Sound system that includes a subwoofer center channel speaker located in the center of the instrument panel. Standard on LTZ (nine-speaker system standard on LT)."

Add this vehicle to the list. And somebody in the vicinity of Garden City UT, get dr8track a copy of The Beatles Love posthaste!

Sounds like it could be this:

"Entertain yourself with the available Bose Centerpoint® ten-speaker Surround Sound system that includes a subwoofer center channel speaker located in the center of the instrument panel. Standard on LTZ (nine-speaker system standard on LT)."

Add this vehicle to the list. And somebody in the vicinity of Garden City UT, get dr8track a copy of The Beatles Love posthaste!

10 Speaker Surround with Subwoofer!!! Oh the humanity!!
20140316_204919.jpg[ATTACH

Apparently the new Corvette Stingray has a 9 speaker version of the Bose surround sound system;

Get ready to get blasted by the Stingray’s sound system.

Corvette’s long history with Bose stereo systems, which dates back to the 1984 model, continues in extraordinary fashion with the upcoming 2014 Corvette Stingray.

The standard nine-speaker Bose system can be supplanted with another system that adds one more speaker – an 8-inch Nd woofer inside a 14-liter bassbox in the trunk.

It’s the first time more than one Bose system has been offered in the Corvette.

As usual, the Bose system for the Stingray is custom-engineered for the Corvette interior and includes some advanced features that can provide live rock-concert-level volume without audible distortion. Will Stingray drivers have to wear earplugs to save their hearing?

Perhaps most interesting is the next-gen Bose AudioPilot noise compensation system that works automatically.

It uses a microphone in the cabin to monitor background noise and an algorithm to analyze the music signal and adjust it to reduce the effects of sounds from outside, things like the rumble of the engine and noises from outside when the targa top is removed or the convertible top is lowered.

Click here to see a larger version of this graphic showing off the Bose Centerpoint sound system in the 2014 Corvette Stingray.

Users will be able to customize their Bose experience so that the sound balances for both seats, just the driver’s seat, or Centerpoint surround mode to immerse the entire cabin with sound.

The Centerpoint system converts the stereo signal into multiple channels to reproduce the music with greater accuracy, making every voice and instrument sound like it’s on a concert stage.

Due to physical obstacles and space limitations, Bose and Chevrolet worked closely together as the Corvette’s interior just began to take shape. That resulted in some unusual speaker placement. For example, unlike ordinary cars, the two mid/high range speakers are in different spots in each door of the Stingray, forcing Bose tuning skills to make sure sound is reproduced optimally. Another such speaker was placed in the center of the instrument panel. Each rear side panel behind the seats includes a full-range speaker, and 1-inch tweeters in each corner of the instrument panel are angled toward the seats. Two 10-inch Nd woofers provide bass from each door.

10 Speaker Surround with Subwoofer!!! Oh the humanity!!
View attachment 13365[ATTACH

I know someone who has this system in a GMC Suburban, though I think it is an older 2011 model. We tried a few 4.0 and 5.1 DVD-A disks in it and found that while it does play DVD-A disks, it mixes them down to stereo! We could not find a way to get it to play in discrete 5.1 or 4.0. It did have a nice sub-woofer and maybe they have added a discrete option in the later models, but I would recommend testing this system with a 5.1 speaker placement disk of some sort before buying with the expectation of discrete surround sound.

I am in the market for a new car and want to explore getting one with a good 5.1 system..I have converted my entire 5.1 collection over to PCM flacs..

For a car system, I would be willing convert anything not already in DVD-A format, over to DVD-A using HD Audio Solo and the PCM flacs which bypasses the need to encode with MLP...

I assume there is no car system that would play lossless DVD-A over a USB external Drive?

Are there any 2014 models that plays DVD-A created from PCM using burned DVD-R blanks?

I am in the market for a new car and want to explore getting one with a good 5.1 system..I have converted my entire 5.1 collection over to PCM flacs..

For a car system, I would be willing convert anything not already in DVD-A format, over to DVD-A using HD Audio Solo and the PCM flacs which bypasses the need to encode with MLP...

I assume there is no car system that would play lossless DVD-A over a USB external Drive?

Are there any 2014 models that plays DVD-A created from PCM using burned DVD-R blanks?

John,

As I mentioned earlier, I have made many a DVD-A using Chrome to be used in my Acura's. Some from quad conversion, or SPEC conversions, and files run through the Surround Master. They all work fine, although for some reason the titles never appear in the menu's on-screen in the car. I've had 5 Acura's since 2004 with DVD-A players in them and they've all been great. The very latest models are deleting all disc based players, but there are many 2014 models that still have ELS DVD-A players in their Tech Packages.

As far as other manufacturers, other than those posted by member here in this forum, I really have no idea.

FYI - I tried every which way of getting a DTS file to play via USB in these cars, and it just does not work. The DTS Decoder in the ELS unit apparently does not have anything to do with the USB audio input path. Shame, really.

I know someone who has this system in a GMC Suburban, though I think it is an older 2011 model. We tried a few 4.0 and 5.1 DVD-A disks in it and found that while it does play DVD-A disks, it mixes them down to stereo! We could not find a way to get it to play in discrete 5.1 or 4.0. It did have a nice sub-woofer and maybe they have added a discrete option in the later models, but I would recommend testing this system with a 5.1 speaker placement disk of some sort before buying with the expectation of discrete surround sound.

I think this was the case with the players in some Ford products as well. They had the logo and all, but only played the stereo. Totally missed opportunity.

Back