OFFICIAL Vehicles with Factory Surround Systems

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John,

As I mentioned earlier, I have made many a DVD-A using Chrome to be used in my Acura's. Some from quad conversion, or SPEC conversions, and files run through the Surround Master. They all work fine, although for some reason the titles never appear in the menu's on-screen in the car. I've had 5 Acura's since 2004 with DVD-A players in them and they've all been great. The very latest models are deleting all disc based players, but there are many 2014 models that still have ELS DVD-A players in their Tech Packages.

As far as other manufacturers, other than those posted by member here in this forum, I really have no idea.

FYI - I tried every which way of getting a DTS file to play via USB in these cars, and it just does not work. The DTS Decoder in the ELS unit apparently does not have anything to do with the USB audio input path. Shame, really.

I am trying to avoid using Chrome because it forces me to have encode each song using Surcode MLP..

Will the ELS DVD-A player play non watermarked DVD-A copied using say DVDFab onto a DVD-R?

I am trying to avoid using Chrome because it forces me to have encode each song using Surcode MLP..

Will the ELS DVD-A player play non watermarked DVD-A copied using say DVDFab onto a DVD-R?

You can use LPCM with Chrome..

IIRC - you have to supply mono wavs though...

I know someone who has this system in a GMC Suburban, though I think it is an older 2011 model. We tried a few 4.0 and 5.1 DVD-A disks in it and found that while it does play DVD-A disks, it mixes them down to stereo! We could not find a way to get it to play in discrete 5.1 or 4.0. It did have a nice sub-woofer and maybe they have added a discrete option in the later models, but I would recommend testing this system with a 5.1 speaker placement disk of some sort before buying with the expectation of discrete surround sound.

I am in the market for a 7 seat SUV, and it would be a bonus if I could get one the supports surround. The Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia and Acura MDX are all on my short list. My neighbor has an Acadia with a very similar system to the one in that Suburban, but I have never tested whether it can do discreet 5.1.

Can you recommend a test disk to ensure discreet 5.1 DVD-Audio is possible? I use the AIX Calibration disks at home all the time, but they are bluray. I have lots of DVD-A disks, but I don't recall if any of them have a speaker "test" track.

You can use LPCM with Chrome..

IIRC - you have to supply mono wavs though...

ok thanks - been quite awhile since I used Chrome

tried using mono waves and got this message:

"Error: Maximum bit rate of 9.6 Mbits/sec is exceeded on Track #1, Group #1.
Use MLP encoding, reduced sample rate, or reduced sample bit length to achieve a lower bit rate"

original 6 monos were 24/96

This explains why HD Audio Solo when using PCM waves, will leave L-R-C alone and down sample the LFE - Ls and Rs monos..

Looks like Surcode MLP will be a necessary step - or I downsample the 3 channels which is a bit of a turn off to me as I want all channels lossless..

ok thanks - been quite awhile since I used Chrome

tried using mono waves and got this message:

"Error: Maximum bit rate of 9.6 Mbits/sec is exceeded on Track #1, Group #1.
Use MLP encoding, reduced sample rate, or reduced sample bit length to achieve a lower bit rate"

original 6 monos were 24/96

This explains why HD Audio Solo when using PCM waves, will leave L-R-C alone and down sample the LFE - Ls and Rs monos..

Looks like Surcode MLP will be a necessary step - or I downsample the 3 channels which is a bit of a turn off to me as I want all channels lossless..

Yep - options are:

1. MLP encode the 96/24 5.1...& use Chorme
2. Resample the WAV from 96 kHz to 48KHz
3. Reduce the bitrate on some of the channels

I know someone who has this system in a GMC Suburban, though I think it is an older 2011 model. We tried a few 4.0 and 5.1 DVD-A disks in it and found that while it does play DVD-A disks, it mixes them down to stereo! We could not find a way to get it to play in discrete 5.1 or 4.0. It did have a nice sub-woofer and maybe they have added a discrete option in the later models, but I would recommend testing this system with a 5.1 speaker placement disk of some sort before buying with the expectation of discrete surround sound.

Well, your post solves a mystery I encountered on my way home from Utah. I went to great lengths to get a surround DVD-Audio disc to listen to on my 2.5 hour drive to the Salt Lake airport driving my rented 2014 Suburban. I only had one disc to play, Boz Scaggs Silk Degrees. I popped it in and could not really tell that it was a surround mix. I had attributed it to just listening to the disc in a car vs my living room, but now it makes sense that maybe it is still mixing down to stereo. Like you mention, it was a nice system, but I'm guessing now that I was listening to stereo vs surround.

Well, your post solves a mystery I encountered on my way home from Utah. I went to great lengths to get a surround DVD-Audio disc to listen to on my 2.5 hour drive to the Salt Lake airport driving my rented 2014 Suburban. I only had one disc to play, Boz Scaggs Silk Degrees. I popped it in and could not really tell that it was a surround mix. I had attributed it to just listening to the disc in a car vs my living room, but now it makes sense that maybe it is still mixing down to stereo. Like you mention, it was a nice system, but I'm guessing now that I was listening to stereo vs surround.
Silk Degrees has never been released in surround.

I recently purchased a 2013 Chevrolet Avalanche LTZ with the Bose DVD entertainment system. While it does play DVD Audio and DTS discs, it does not play them in surround. I also have a 2011 Infiniti M37 with the Bose 5.1 surround. The Infiniti system has a pair of rear surround speakers in the shoulders of the front seats, so the discrete listening experience is truly amazing. I was extremely disappointed in the surround effect out of the Avalanche so as a test I popped in the Dark Side of the Moon Immersion DVD-A disc and tried the audio set-up. It has a female voice identifying each speaker by name. There was no discrete rear speaker separation, only stereo. I checked the menu set-up for the system as well as the disc and both were set for surround.
The entertainment system in the Avalanche is the same as in the Tahoe and Suburban, so don't expect true 5.1 surround out of either of those vehicles. Why GM/Bose would bother putting DVA-A and DTS capability in a system without surround baffles me.

My wife's 2012 Chevrolet Volt with the upgraded audio/Nav system has the DVD Audio/Video logo on it but I haven't tried to play one on it (My Volt without Nav didn't have the logo and my 2014 with Nav does not). I'll report back on her 2012.

What was all this commotion last year including the 2014 Acura ad at the airport I posted that was clearly no DVDA? Dropped from TL only?

From QQ deep space

What was all this commotion last year including the 2014 Acura ad at the airport I posted that was clearly no DVDA? Dropped from TL only?

From QQ deep space

The "newest models", the RLX, TLX, have the next generation ELS system that does not do DVD-A. The models that have not had major changes still retain the original ELS systems with the DVD-A capability. Once these get "refreshed" to a new body style, I would guess the DVD-A goes away.

Until then!!!

Now that makes sense; model freshening changeover is the determining factor. They're all ELS, those with DVD-Audio logo are your best entertainment value. It was getting Gaslight there for a moment.

From QQ deep space

This is a list of currently available New & "Pre-Owned" cars with factory installed surround music systems. (Video systems w/Dolby Digital for movies not included)

Please respond to this thread if you have actually used/heard/seen a car/truck/suv with a factory installed surround system. I would like this to be an acurate list with verified information, as opposed to hear say.

Reply with the year and model of car, and I will add it to the list

Current list updated on 9/21/2012

------------------------------------------------------------------

Acura TL (2004-2007): Panasonic ELS 5.1 System - DVD-Audio/DTS;
(2008-present): Panasonic ELS 5.1 System - DVD-Audio/DTS/DPLII
Acura TL Type-S (2007): Panasonic ELS 5.1 System - DVD-Audio/DTS;
(2008): Panasonic ELS 5.1 System - DVD-Audio/DTS/DPLII
Acura RL (2005-2013): Bose 5.1 System - DVD-Audio/DTS
Acura RDX (2007-present): Panasonic ELS 5.1 System - DVD-Audio/DTS/DPLII
Acura MDX (2007-2013): Panasonic ELS 5.1 System - DVD-Audio/DTS/DPLII
Acura TSX (2009-present): Panasonic ELS 5.1 System - DVD-Audio/DTS/DPLII
Acura ZDX (2010): Panasonic ELS 5.1 System - DVD-Audio/DTS/DPLII

Buick Enclave (2008-present): DVD-Audio/DTS/DVD-Video
Buick LaCrosse (2010-present): DVd-Audio/DTS/DD/DVD-Video

Cadillac Escalade ESV (2007): DVD-Audio/DTS/DVD-Video
Cadillac Escalade EXT (2007): DVD-Audio/DTS/DVD-Video
Cadillac SRX (2007): DVD-Audio/DTS/DVD-Video
Cadillac STS (2007): DVD-Audio/DTS/DVD-Video
Cadillac STSV (2007): DVD-Audio/DTS/DVD-Video
Cadillac DTS (2007-2008): DVD-Audio/DTS/DVD-Video

GMC Acadia (2007): DVD-Audio/DTS/DVD-Video

Hyundai Genesis (2009-present): DVD-Audio/DVD-Video/DTS-CD

Infiniti M35/M45 (2007-present): Bose DVD-Audio/DVD-Video

Lexus IS (2006-present) Mark Levinson sound system - DVD-Audio/DTS/Dolby Digital/DVD Video
Lexus LS (2007) Mark Levinson sound system - DVD-Audio/DTS/Dolby Digital/DVD Video
Lexus GS (2007) Mark Levinson sound system - DVD-Audio/DTS/Dolby Digital/DVD Video
Lexus ES (2007) Mark Levinson sound system - DVD-Audio/DTS/Dolby Digital/DVD Video

Saturn Outlook (2008): DVD-Audio/DTS/DVD-Video

I bought a 2014 Lexus GS350 last month with the Mark Levinson sound system. The only discs that play in surround are DVD-Audio but only Dolby Digital, no DVD-Audio and no DTS. Seems like they took a step backward. You'd think for a $70k car they'd play all surround discs in DVD-A. :mad:@:
It won't play DTS cds or home burned DVDs at all.

Be forewarned.

Last edited:
Back