OFFICIAL Vehicles with Factory Surround Systems

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go Buick!! :D (my family has owned 4 Buicks so far).

I looked for nearly thirty minutes for details on the sound system and as usual couldn't find any (more proof 99.999% of people simply don't what surround actually IS), much less a review of how it sounded.

But I did finally find this close-up of the audio/nav system and while I cannot make out the specific words under "DVD" there are obviously two words underneath i.e. not just "video".

2010 Lacrosse audio system

A DTS logo is also present.

And the fact there is a center channel speaker (looks like one to me!) on the dash adds proof that a multichannel dvd-audio system is present.

BTW here's their very detailed review of the car itself.

Well I just came back from the Buick dealer & there were no 2010 Lacrosses to be found. :( The salesguy said they would get some in about 2 weeks. When I said I had already seen a couple running around town, he said GM let the rental agencies have them first (me and him figured this strange plan gave the car some long-term exposure to people who may not be able to actually afford one yet, but were in the market for such a car).

Porsche Panamera/Burmester

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No complaints here; I have the '09/TL/tech

Yesterday, I was fortunate enough to hear the Burmester 16 speaker/1,000 watt/surround sound system, in the new Porsche Panamera/Turbo/WOW!

Listened to Donald Fagen/Nightfly, & Steely Dan/Gaucho, in DVD/A
Great bottom end; overall probably cleaner than the ELS; BUT: The Burmester option in the Panamera costs $5,700, just for the audio; it's 6 disc, & does NOT play PURE SACD's; same as the ELS.

What a vehicle; probably, the most exotic 4 passenger sedan available.
Great interior, seats, & controls

Hope my brother leases one, so I can drive it!

It's totally bizarre that there are so many cars now with DVD-Audio capability and no where for the owners to buy the freaking discs.

WHERE ARE YOU SILVERLINE???? :eek:

Too bad DTS Entertainment won't go back and get into the DTS-CD/DVD-A licensing game. There's a mobile market out there.........

I like how he tested a bunch of stuff from the ipod, talking about the quality etc, and then adds the little blurb "also plays dvd-audio". If I were going to test sound quality on a $3000 sound upgrade I think I'd at least stick a dvd-audio disc in, not just listen to some tunes off my ipod! It's like reviewing french fries at a high end restaurant and then adding "they also serve steak and lobster"

I like how he tested a bunch of stuff from the ipod, talking about the quality etc, and then adds the little blurb "also plays dvd-audio". If I were going to test sound quality on a $3000 sound upgrade I think I'd at least stick a dvd-audio disc in, not just listen to some tunes off my ipod! It's like reviewing french fries at a high end restaurant and then adding "they also serve steak and lobster"

Agree. Now...
Did you ever test listen the Lexicon/Genesis with your favorite DVD-A?
;)

Agree. Now...
Did you ever test listen the Lexicon/Genesis with your favorite DVD-A?
;)

Ha! not yet, but as soon as the 2010's arrive here I will go for a test drive and test listen. I'm such a slacker, but I've never spent this much on a car before!

Ha! not yet, but as soon as the 2010's arrive here I will go for a test drive and test listen. I'm such a slacker, but I've never spent this much on a car before!

Fwiw, I'm reading that 2010's with Tech (17 speaker Lexicon) are going for around invoice, slightly under or over. That means around $39-$40K for the V8, or $37Kish for the V6.
Though to me it makes no sense to buy at all (versus a lease). Would you pay $400K for a house you knew would be worth $200K in 5 years?
Anyway, good luck! And when you do test it, be sure to engage "Surround" and click 3 to the rears, both in "Settings".

Added on edit, in case you hadn't seen this:

http://www.hemagazine.com/Lexicon_Hyundai_Genesis_Audio_System

Thanks for the link Chiburb, hadn't read that one yet. I'll use those settings when I go. I must look into the lease option, if I buy I'll be using HAPP pricing. Not trying to get off topic, but what would the payouts be on a 5 yr. lease vs. the value of the car after 5 years? I'm trying to get it straight in my head if it would make more sense to lease or not.

Maybe HAPP IS the way to go. I don't know residuals after 5 years, only 3 (about 50%). And it really comes down to miles per year. I'm under 12K, and never out of warranty so that works.

HAPP is either 2 or 3 percent under invoice, plus rebates, minus the $800 destination charge. Hard to beat that.
Good luck either way!

Found this on the web about a Lexus SUV (GX-10). Another new model with DVD-Audio capability. Where were these 6 years go?

This available Mark Levinson Premium Surround Sound System [1] is an audiophile's dream. Designed exclusively for the GX, it features 7.1 surround sound, a DVD/CD auto-changer, 17 carefully tuned and positioned speakers and 330 watts at less than 0.1% THD; 20-20,000 Hz [2] of maximum power. The result is an audio experience that more resembles a concert hall than an automobile. In fact, when listening to a DVD Audio recording, you can actually sense the locations of the various instruments being played.

Of course, this is a FOUR THOUSAND DOLLAR OPTION on a $50,000+ truck. Wow.........:yikes

Looks like the Mercedes E class is getting what Hyundai provides in the Genesis (Lexicon Logic 7):

The basis for the unique, authentic sound experience in the E-Class models is the discrete Logic 7 technology from Harman Kardon. The discrete Logic 7 surround technology, which was originally developed for professional sound studios, also allows 5.1 surround recordings to attain their full potential within the automobile environment. The surround information is read out from the recording medium and distributed to optimum effect, just as intended in the original, via the system architecture of the Mercedes-Benz E-Class models. The original recording is always the standard here. The sound source is moved away from the individual loudspeakers, which means it can no longer be located. This has the effect of making the interior seem larger and the sound platform broader. Instead of a single sweet spot, the discrete Logic 7 technology produces optimum playback in every seat and from every recording.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/pr...s-convertible-2010-04-30?reflink=MW_news_stmp

Looks like the Mercedes E class is getting what Hyundai provides in the Genesis (Lexicon Logic 7):

The basis for the unique, authentic sound experience in the E-Class models is the discrete Logic 7 technology from Harman Kardon. The discrete Logic 7 surround technology, which was originally developed for professional sound studios, also allows 5.1 surround recordings to attain their full potential within the automobile environment. The surround information is read out from the recording medium and distributed to optimum effect, just as intended in the original, via the system architecture of the Mercedes-Benz E-Class models. The original recording is always the standard here. The sound source is moved away from the individual loudspeakers, which means it can no longer be located. This has the effect of making the interior seem larger and the sound platform broader. Instead of a single sweet spot, the discrete Logic 7 technology produces optimum playback in every seat and from every recording.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/pr...s-convertible-2010-04-30?reflink=MW_news_stmp

This is great news! I've had the Genesis for close to a year now and love the Lexicon. My friends all thought I was crazy for trading in my Porsche for a Hyundai, but I've never regretted it. Now my wife is looking to replace her 8 year old C Class and this is the perfect solution.

I went to a Main Street in Motion event this morning and got a chance to drive a new Chevy Volt. Pleasant surprise, it comes standard with a 5.1 surround sound system that supports DVD-A / DVD-V, Dolby Digital and dts!

Also of note; all the Buick sedans I looked at also come standard with 5.1 sound systems that support the same surround formats.

Good info, tcdriver! Thanks.

I'll check out the details and add these to the master list.

The last I checked, if a player does DVD-v of any form, it won't play if the car is moving...which is usually the Time I want to hear music,

Also, it seems most folk who write descriptions don't understand the difference between DVD-audio and DVD audio.

Do the Buicks actually play DVD-A?

A friend of mine got a Buick LaCrosse, so I had to get him a few DVD-A's :D

We tried them in his car (they were pure DVD-A, made with DiscWelder), and although the menu's would not display on the screen (they don't on the Acura's either), they played fine while the car was moving. It did seem a bit more cumbersom than the Acura, which is just an "insert and play" deal. In the Buick, as I recall, we had to do some selecting to get the disc to play.

However, it did play the 5.1 track, as I said, because it was the ONLY track on the home made DVD-A.

Back