OFFICIAL Vehicles with Factory Surround Systems

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I to understand that there is no car audio system that will play BOTH sacds and dvd audio discs? So you must choose (If you have a choice) between being able to play either sacds or dvdas with the other formats?
I would be nervous about carrying now rare sacds in the car. I'm so paranoid that I regularly burn cdrs of cds to take with me. That way I don't worry about scratches, theft etc. I guess you need to make conversions of both formats for the car system....

I don't get it. Why in the world would a car that is new in 2011 with a semi-revolutionary propulsion system be supporting an audio format that has been "dead" for years? Where do they expect the Volt users to find DVD-As?

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see it. I always thought the number of Acuras sold would be enough to provide a market for DVD-As, perhaps the Volt may coax a few more DVD-As to the market.

General Motors has had these units in select vehicles for close to 5 years now. It's not usually standard equipment though, you still have to opt for the DVD/Navigation package to get the surround sound system. On the Chevy Traverse it is around a grand to add the option. I'm sure the price varies according to model. It is currently available on the following 2011 cars and trucks.

Chevrolet

Volt
Traverse
Tahoe
Suburban
Silverado
Avalanche

Buick

Enclave
LaCrosse

GMC

Acadia
Terrain
Sierra
Yukon

Cadillac

CTS
DTS
SRX
Escalade

Last edited:
I don't get it. Why in the world would a car that is new in 2011 with a semi-revolutionary propulsion system be supporting an audio format that has been "dead" for years? Where do they expect the Volt users to find DVD-As?

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see it. I always thought the number of Acuras sold would be enough to provide a market for DVD-As, perhaps the Volt may coax a few more DVD-As to the market.

Because the only people that can afford these cars/audio are old coots like me who want to hear the Beatles in surround!

(Though I'm driving the new Hyundai Equus, not a Volt.)

I'm driving the Equus, too, and am very impressed with both the automobile and the surround sound. I find it interesting to see what the 7.1 surround synthesizer does to a 5.1 surround source--it adds an intriguing middle left and right channel and seems to add some vibrance to the surround without losing the definition from the five speakers. Some discs sound better processed to 7.1, some sound worse, but all sound good in both formats in the Equus!

I'm driving the Equus, too, and am very impressed with both the automobile and the surround sound. I find it interesting to see what the 7.1 surround synthesizer does to a 5.1 surround source--it adds an intriguing middle left and right channel and seems to add some vibrance to the surround without losing the definition from the five speakers. Some discs sound better processed to 7.1, some sound worse, but all sound good in both formats in the Equus!

Yep. I thought the Genesis sounded great, but the Equus is even better. The added wattage? The quieter interior? Heck if I know.

BTW I burned a copy of America's Homecoming DVD-A to see if the Hyundai Genesis would play it. The America DVD-A is watermarked, and most players don't allow for playback of watermarked copies. Much to my enjoyment the Hyundai Genesis played the
disc without any problems. This is great since it now allows me to make custom dvd-audo discs using my entire collection. Now I just need to buy the car! I'm shooting for the end of this month.

BTW I burned a copy of America's Homecoming DVD-A to see if the Hyundai Genesis would play it. The America DVD-A is watermarked, and most players don't allow for playback of watermarked copies. Much to my enjoyment the Hyundai Genesis played the
disc without any problems. This is great since it now allows me to make custom dvd-audo discs using my entire collection. Now I just need to buy the car! I'm shooting for the end of this month.

Excellent find! That's great news for DVD-A fans who are looking for a new car.

Sure you are.

(kidding of course! Supposed to be a smilie there.
Good luck!)

I have a short attention span, especially when it comes to cars. I typically want to get a new one after a couple of years, which drives my wife nuts. Well, it's been two years now since I bought my Genesis and I was starting to get the itch for something new. Then I put KC's Discipline in the player and thought, "How can I ever get rid of this car?" Answer, I can't, the sound system is just too good. My wife is ecstatic.

Jon: the new Buick Regal might have discrete surround capability but I'm not sure.

Several articles about the car mention an optional dvd-based sound system - "Harman Kardon® 336-watt, 5.1 Matrix Surround, 9-speaker audio system" - and its capability of converting stereo sources to surround, but I have yet to find anything that indicates it has the ability to play either dvds with 5.1 tracks or dvd-audio discs. But it's got all the pieces to do that (five channel amp, subwoofer, dvd transport) so hopefully it does and the marketing people just left that out of the ad copy to keep Regular Joe customers from getting confused.

Sure you are.

(kidding of course! Supposed to be a smilie there.
Good luck!)

I finally bought it today, a 2012 4.6L Hyundai Genesis! BTW I stuck in a dvd-audio I made myself which consists of mixed artists, Elton John, Beatles, Porcupine Tree, Flaming Lips, The Eagles, etc and it played all the tracks flawlessly including the watermarked tracks. So Anyone looking for a car with surround that will play watermarked copies this is the one!

I finally bought it today, a 2012 4.6L Hyundai Genesis! BTW I stuck in a dvd-audio I made myself which consists of mixed artists, Elton John, Beatles, Porcupine Tree, Flaming Lips, The Eagles, etc and it played all the tracks flawlessly including the watermarked tracks. So Anyone looking for a car with surround that will play watermarked copies this is the one!

Congratulations! Now you'll have to keep this car...............FOREVER! :)

Been meaning to update this thread with some Lexus Mark Levinson (ML) upgrade information. The standard Lexus Pioneer head unit does not play DVDs. But, the ML upgrade plays both DVD-Audio and DVD-Video discs. Some dealers don't seem to like to order the ML since it isn't a readily available option and can cause the dealership to have to special order from Japan. The LS and LX models seem to be the exception where the dealerships get a small number with the upgrade already installed.

Our 2008 RX with an ML is interesting in the way it processes DVD-Audio. It actually uses the downmix coefficients to take the 5.1-channel on the disc and convert it to stereo. The stereo is then run through a DSP that converts it to psuedo-surround. So the chain goes 5.1-channel to stereo to psuedo-surround. The created surround is most discrete when the DSP mode is set to "all seats". DVD-R discs work and Discwelder created disc menus show-up properly.

Shortly after the 2008 model year, all of the ML units became full 5.1-channel units. So, with a new car purchase and the ML upgrade, the Lexus vehicle has a true 5.1-channel DVD-Audio capability (and DVD-Video, of course). The only caveat is that the "Auto Play" option must be set to "OFF". If left in the "ON" position, Auto Play will cause the disc to incorrectly play many tracks, including random repeats of 10 second portions of a song and the inability to play an entire album. Auto Play set to "OFF", still causes the disc to Auto Play and prevents this obvious firmware-glitch from occurring.

I'll have a chance to more fully test the 2012 ML unit shortly.

Andy

Been meaning to update this thread with some Lexus Mark Levinson (ML) upgrade information. The standard Lexus Pioneer head unit does not play DVDs. But, the ML upgrade plays both DVD-Audio and DVD-Video discs. Some dealers don't seem to like to order the ML since it isn't a readily available option and can cause the dealership to have to special order from Japan. The LS and LX models seem to be the exception where the dealerships get a small number with the upgrade already installed.

Our 2008 RX with an ML is interesting in the way it processes DVD-Audio. It actually uses the downmix coefficients to take the 5.1-channel on the disc and convert it to stereo. The stereo is then run through a DSP that converts it to psuedo-surround. So the chain goes 5.1-channel to stereo to psuedo-surround. The created surround is most discrete when the DSP mode is set to "all seats". DVD-R discs work and Discwelder created disc menus show-up properly.

Shortly after the 2008 model year, all of the ML units became full 5.1-channel units. So, with a new car purchase and the ML upgrade, the Lexus vehicle has a true 5.1-channel DVD-Audio capability (and DVD-Video, of course). The only caveat is that the "Auto Play" option must be set to "OFF". If left in the "ON" position, Auto Play will cause the disc to incorrectly play many tracks, including random repeats of 10 second portions of a song and the inability to play an entire album. Auto Play set to "OFF", still causes the disc to Auto Play and prevents this obvious firmware-glitch from occurring.

I'll have a chance to more fully test the 2012 ML unit shortly.

Andy

Andy,

Thanks for that info. Without having a Lexus to play with ( :) ), the info on the ML systems is sketchy at best. Trying to decode their website, and the "Build Your Lexus" deal doesn't give any of the info you listed above. Info like your post above is great to have in the forum.

Thanks a lot and be sure to post back when you "fully test" the 2012 ML! :smokin

Been meaning to update this thread with some Lexus Mark Levinson (ML) upgrade information...Shortly after the 2008 model year, all of the ML units became full 5.1-channel units...

I have the ML in my '09 ES, so I can fill in a few blanks for you. I noticed that there was no discrete 5.1 from my DVD-As, and spent the next half-year on an odyssey with my Lexus dealer, Lexus Customer "Satisfaction", Lexus Corporate and Harman, to determine what, if anything, could be done about it.

The defining moment came when I managed to get a Harman engineer on the phone, who was kind enough to tell me what was up with the ML. The head unit is capable of reading a DVD-A, but the input stage of the multichannel amp/processor cannot handle the throughput, so it downmixes uncompressed 5.1 to stereo! This occurred as these systems are designed to meet a price-point dictated by the client, in this case, Lexus. As it happens, continual incremental design improvements are employed as the bang-for-the-buck ratio of technology improves, and 2010 saw the first generation of ML systems that were capable of discrete 5.1 reproduction. Missed it by that much!

I've had the opportunity to hear a couple 2010 and 2011 MLs in action, and while they are 5.1 capable, the overall SQ apparently is surprisingly dependent on which model line they're in, the thousands of man-hours of fine-tuning the system touted in Lexus ad copy notwithstanding!

On a personal note, a happy ending in two parts with regard to my own ML: One, since the ML can play DTS 5.1 discretely, I converted my DVD-As to DTS-CDs, which avoids any playback difficulties with the notorious nanny-car DVD screen lockout, and two, a concise letter of complaint directed to the appropriate vice-president in the Lexus division of Toyota Motor Sales USA ultimately got me a refund in the amount of the MSRP of the ML system.

Bob

Bob,

What a great post! (Above)

I love stories like this, and to hear about your efforts to get to the bottom of the story. Pretty impressive that you got a refund back from them as well. Great job!

Back