OFFICIAL Vehicles with Factory Surround Systems

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The auto recycler in me says try to determine if a 2010 head unit might work in your 2009!

Harman told me it's the amp that handles the processing of the PCM stream, so I think it's the amp that needs to be swapped. As long as the head unit/amp interconnect is the same with the same pinout, that might work.

If you're considering a Lexus with the ML, you should know that the systems don't offer very much in the way of equalization -- just your basic bass, mid and treble controls. Those controls did nothing to correct a huge hump in the FR centered at 250 Hz in my ES that made the system seem designed more for movie soundtracks than music! (I had to re-EQ the front right and left channels when converting DVD-As to DTS-CDs to make them listenable.)

If you're looking at Lexus, you should carefully audition the ML in the model you want with DVD-As you know well -- when I was investigating my ML's problem, I got a chance to audition a few 2010 models, and I recall noticing differences in the sonic character of the IS, ES and the LX.

Moving on, I'm considering replacing the ES this year, but there aren't very many rides that appeal to me that have an option for factory surround. I wonder if it's useful to just focus on getting the car I want and going for an aftermarket solution. Any opinions on that?

Bob

There is supposed to be a new, totally redesigned Acura RL coming for 2013. Don't know much about it. I hope they keep DVD-Audio in the audio system in 2013 Acura's.

There is also a 2013 Acura ILX entry level coming out very soon and its supposed to have the ELS as a option.
I am curious if they will have the ELS on the Hybrid model as it doesn't give those details yet.

peter

There is also a 2013 Acura ILX entry level coming out very soon and its supposed to have the ELS as a option.
I am curious if they will have the ELS on the Hybrid model as it doesn't give those details yet.

With the ILX now showing as available on Acura's site, you can indeed get an ILX Hybrid with Technology Package that has the ELS surround system. This is also available in the regular gasoline automatic model as well.

http://www.acura.com/modellanding.aspx?model=ilx

Quick question:
Does the ELS cut off the audio too while playing a DVD (in motion)?

Uh-oh, now I'm in trouble.
My new Hyundai Equus arrives this Friday, and I've been studying the owners manual (an app for iPad) for the last couple days. It seems Lexicon has changed things up for the 2014 model:
In addition to DVD-A, it now plays SACD!!!!
Like I haven't spent enough money already.

On the downside, I lose the 6 disc changer to a single slot.

One more thing:
If the addition of SACD is in my car, it'll probably be in the 2104 Genesis too.

Are there any other cars that offer both?

Uh-oh, now I'm in trouble.
My new Hyundai Equus arrives this Friday, and I've been studying the owners manual (an app for iPad) for the last couple days. It seems Lexicon has changed things up for the 2014 model:
In addition to DVD-A, it now plays SACD!!!!
Like I haven't spent enough money already.

On the downside, I lose the 6 disc changer to a single slot.

One more thing:
If the addition of SACD is in my car, it'll probably be in the 2104 Genesis too.

Are there any other cars that offer both?

HOLY CRAP!! That's awesome.

Please give us a full report when you get it. That's really incredible news. :banana:

Hyundai.jpg

HOLY CRAP!! That's awesome.

Please give us a full report when you get it. That's really incredible news. :banana:

View attachment 11072

Will do, but a basic newb question:
Is it pronounced SAC-D as I've been doing mentally since I got here? Or is it S-A-C-D?
Never had to know before now.
Now off to the HiRez polls to figure out which to buy first!

Is it pronounced SAC-D as I've been doing mentally since I got here? Or is it S-A-C-D?

SAC-D? That sounds obscene.

Most people say S-A-C-D which is short for Super Audio CD (compact disc).

SAC-D? That sounds obscene.

Most people say S-A-C-D which is short for Super Audio CD (compact disc).

Thank you. I learn something new every day.
And will hopefully remember it tomorrow.

I just read the fine print:
It plays SACD Hybrid, and only the CD layer.
(Screen shot sent to Mr.Urban)
Not knowing the format, don't know if that's a "meh" or "ok".

I just read the fine print:
It plays SACD Hybrid, and only the CD layer.
(Screen shot sent to Mr.Urban)
Not knowing the format, don't know if that's a "meh" or "ok".

Thats like saying its a DVD-A player but won't play content in the AUDIO_TS folder. :howl

In other words its just a CD player.

Thats like saying its a DVD-A player but won't play content in the AUDIO_TS folder. :howl

In other words its just a CD player.

Then I'm sorry for the false alarm. See how little I know? Just got excited because the 2011 made no mention of SACD at all.
Btw, I didn't send Mr.Urban the screen shot of supported. Can't find an email.

Back