ROLL CALL: Who has surround sound in their car(s)?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool! The Citroen C1 looks likes a nice little machine. Certainly more stylish than the legendary 2CV! :D Glad to hear you'll be "surrounded" in there!

What year, make and model of car: Just bought a 2005 RL

Did you install it yourself (if not factory installed): Factory

What surround formats can you play: DTS cd DVD-A

How would you rate the system, and would you recommend it to others:Yes I had a 04 TL abn the ELS system is far inferior to the Bose system.Big bonus will play most DTS CDR's!

Car system: Kenwood DDX812, Infinity 6022si door speakers, MTX 10" Subwoofer upgrade, Alpine SBS-05DC center.

What year, make and model of car: 2008 Honda Pilot

Did you install it yourself (if not factory installed): Yes

What surround formats can you play: DVD A/V, DTS, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro-Logic II

How would you rate the system, and would you recommend it to others: After upgrades to factory speakers, RTA and DTA tuning and adding damper matting it sounds great with surround sound. The latest Kenwood models have dropped dvd-a support (2009) but I would still recommend it.

Coincidentally, I have a loaner this weekend while my car is the shop. The loaner is an Acura TSX (2009). First thing I did was pop in the KC Red DVD-A. Very impressive surround sound. Hmm, trade in??

Coincidentally, I have a loaner this weekend while my car is the shop. The loaner is an Acura TSX (2009). First thing I did was pop in the KC Red DVD-A. Very impressive surround sound. Hmm, trade in??

The 09/10 TSX is a great car for the price. Nice size, good gas mileage, great tunes. It's a winner in my book.

I will be joining this club soon as I just bought one of the sony SACD head units this past week.

Now comes the fun part of figuring out how to convert the car (1966 Volvo 122s) from mono (single speaker AM radio) to 5.1.

I recently installed a JVC AVX33 in a 99 kia sportage. Obviously I don't overdo it when it comes to cars, but the sound system is important:D

I love it, all except the center speaker. The center sounds horrible like you're cranking a headphone speaker for listening 3 feet away.

I love it, all except the center speaker. The center sounds horrible like you're cranking a headphone speaker for listening 3 feet away.
Can't the speaker management system be set to "no center" like a home player's system?

BTW: this forum thread elsewhere lists seven centers, including some that fit into DIN sized mounting holes, but not sure if they are available anymore. :(

I'm a newbie here and just got a new Acura TSX with the ELS surround audio package. It sounds awesome but I'm really disappointed that I can't just go out to a store in a city like Houston and buy a DVD-A disk - so much for impulse purchases. I'm now searching for good sources for DVD-A disks. I'm also a little confused about some of the terminology. Dualdisc - seems like some are DVD-A and some are not. It's fun doing the research anyway.
Chuck

What year, make and model of car: 2010 Acura TSX - Tech Package with ELS audio

Did you install it yourself (if not factory installed): Factory

What surround formats can you play: DVD-A, DTS, DPLII

How would you rate the system, and would you recommend it to others: Amazing sound quality - highly recommended

Last edited:
I'm a newbie here and just got a new Acura TSX with the ELS surround audio package. It sounds awesome but I'm really disappointed that I can't just go out to a store in a city like Houston and buy a DVD-A disk - so much for impulse purchases. I'm now searching for good sources for DVD-A disks. I'm also a little confused about some of the terminology. Dualdisc - seems like some are DVD-A and some are not. It's fun doing the research anyway.
Chuck

You are a perfect example of someone whom the "record companies" have failed to consider in their abrupt unheralded termination of their DVD-A release program. There are THOUSANDS of Acura's and other cars out there that are DVD-A capable, and there are no discs to buy to play in them.

As a result, owners of players have to seek out alternate means of procurement, which is a total revenue loss for the labels and the artists. Taking something out of print that has already been produced, in this day and age, is totally insane, as a company store web site (like BSM for example) could easily be a place to continue selling all of the WB/Rhino DVD-A's that were previously released for years to come.

Instead, folks are paying over $100 for titles on eBay and Amazon.

It's no wonder the music industry is in trouble.

Oh, by the way, WELCOME TO QQ masoncw!! Glad you found us, and hopefully you'll find out a lot about DVD-A's and where to get them here.

You should really check out the new King Crimson DVD-A's that just came out last month. They sound great in the Acura's, and are currently easily available from Amazon and other places on the internet.

PS - I'm jealous of your car. The new TSX is killer! Did you get a 4 or a 6?

You are a perfect example of someone whom the "record companies" have failed to consider in their abrupt unheralded termination of their DVD-A release program. There are THOUSANDS of Acura's and other cars out there that are DVD-A capable, and there are no discs to buy to play in them.

As a result, owners of players have to seek out alternate means of procurement, which is a total revenue loss for the labels and the artists. Taking something out of print that has already been produced, in this day and age, is totally insane, as a company store web site (like BSM for example) could easily be a place to continue selling all of the WB/Rhino DVD-A's that were previously released for years to come.

Instead, folks are paying over $100 for titles on eBay and Amazon.

It's no wonder the music industry is in trouble.

Oh, by the way, WELCOME TO QQ masoncw!! Glad you found us, and hopefully you'll find out a lot about DVD-A's and where to get them here.

You should really check out the new King Crimson DVD-A's that just came out last month. They sound great in the Acura's, and are currently easily available from Amazon and other places on the internet.

PS - I'm jealous of your car. The new TSX is killer! Did you get a 4 or a 6?

Thanks Jon - Yea - the TSX is awesome and the ELS system is like nothing I've ever heard ina car. I went with the 4 cyl - sufficient power and I expect better mileage. The new King Crimson is definitely on my short list. I gave a list of wants for Christmas , just hope whoever is buying for me understands what DVD-A is. Top of my want list is Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms but I get the feeling that's never going to happen.

sometimes, when I ride the subway, there's a bible thumper yelling behind me, a crying baby in front of me, and two homeless guys on either sound. I'd say that counts as "surround sound." :)

sometimes, when I ride the subway, there's a bible thumper yelling behind me, a crying baby in front of me, and two homeless guys on either sound. I'd say that counts as "surround sound." :)

You should be carrying a ZOOM H2! 4 mic capsules and a 4 CH recording mode. Later useful for 360 soundfield or basis for 5.1 project.

It's interesting as I look through used Acura TL ads, always looking to see if anyone cluefully mentions DVD-Audio (obvious in every console photo) or whether they simply say '6 Disc Changer' or worst, 'compact disc player'

well it looks like noone has been on this thread in along time, but as car audio is my passion here goes. I have a 1991 toyota celica gts w/ 230,000 miles on it that is worth $500. the audio system in it is worth about $5,000. my wife thinks I am audiologically insane and she may be right. I am a musician by hobby and I just have to have my tunes. the heart of the system is a kenwood 25 th anniversary issue xxv head unit which plays dvd-a, v, dts, as well as +R and -R. it is fed into 3 amps; rockford 4 channel 100w rms, sony xplode mono block 1000w rms for the sub, and a simple crate 40w for the center, before the amps however all channels are fed into an audiodesigns dqxs 6 channel electronic crossover/equalizer. The speakers are in a sort of perpetual revolving door, as I typically blow my sub about once a year, and keep trying new stuff out, right now it is a 12" MA in a small sealed box, the rears are also MA< Micro Acoustics, fronts are kenwood, center pioneer, I have to run all power through a 1 farad power cap otherwise my headlights don't work, which sort of proves my wifes theory but what the heck we all have vices right? I have absolutely no room in the rear hatch of the car because it is taken up by audio equipment, crazy ? yea probably. but like I said I appreciate quality sound.
Last summer a friend of mine brought his new car by and was very proud of it as well as the sound system he had installed, I had'nt seen him for some time so he had no idea how obsessed I had become with car audio. He had just bought himself a beautiful dodge viper, it was like the first year they were out and he had some incredibly low serial number, the car was beautiful. we got in to check out his audio system, which I fully expected to be top notch because at home he was always a Mcintosh and Martin Logan man. Great stuff for sure. Well he found a Mcintosh head unit ( I did'nt even know they made car audio ) this unit was an am,fm amp only , but his primary source of music was through a permanant dock for his I-pod. It sounded like C R A P. I did'nt have the heart to tell him the truth, but I walked him over to my POS toyota started it up,( you have to experience this with the motor on because it will kill a battery in about 5 mins ) rolled the windows down a little ( because I have broken glass with this system ) and popped in the dvd-a disc of Yes- Fragile. He started to cry. he calls me now and then to ask my opinion on some car audio this or that but I know he went home and ripped that POS I-pod out of his car. anyways sorry for the length of this I am a first time poster and car audio is my passion.

well it looks like noone has been on this thread in along time, but as car audio is my passion here goes. I have a 1991 toyota celica gts w/ 230,000 miles on it that is worth $500. the audio system in it is worth about $5,000. my wife thinks I am audiologically insane and she may be right. I am a musician by hobby and I just have to have my tunes. the heart of the system is a kenwood 25 th anniversary issue xxv head unit which plays dvd-a, v, dts, as well as +R and -R. it is fed into 3 amps; rockford 4 channel 100w rms, sony xplode mono block 1000w rms for the sub, and a simple crate 40w for the center, before the amps however all channels are fed into an audiodesigns dqxs 6 channel electronic crossover/equalizer. The speakers are in a sort of perpetual revolving door, as I typically blow my sub about once a year, and keep trying new stuff out, right now it is a 12" MA in a small sealed box, the rears are also MA< Micro Acoustics, fronts are kenwood, center pioneer, I have to run all power through a 1 farad power cap otherwise my headlights don't work, which sort of proves my wifes theory but what the heck we all have vices right? I have absolutely no room in the rear hatch of the car because it is taken up by audio equipment, crazy ? yea probably. but like I said I appreciate quality sound.
Last summer a friend of mine brought his new car by and was very proud of it as well as the sound system he had installed, I had'nt seen him for some time so he had no idea how obsessed I had become with car audio. He had just bought himself a beautiful dodge viper, it was like the first year they were out and he had some incredibly low serial number, the car was beautiful. we got in to check out his audio system, which I fully expected to be top notch because at home he was always a Mcintosh and Martin Logan man. Great stuff for sure. Well he found a Mcintosh head unit ( I did'nt even know they made car audio ) this unit was an am,fm amp only , but his primary source of music was through a permanant dock for his I-pod. It sounded like C R A P. I did'nt have the heart to tell him the truth, but I walked him over to my POS toyota started it up,( you have to experience this with the motor on because it will kill a battery in about 5 mins ) rolled the windows down a little ( because I have broken glass with this system ) and popped in the dvd-a disc of Yes- Fragile. He started to cry. he calls me now and then to ask my opinion on some car audio this or that but I know he went home and ripped that POS I-pod out of his car. anyways sorry for the length of this I am a first time poster and car audio is my passion.

Nice! Now you are the perfect fit for QQ! Welcome.

There is much satisfaction in the installation of an outstanding stereo in a car. You should post some pictures!

:alienrob:
Hi all I have not posted in some time but I just bought a :banana: 2010 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Torred Six speed:steering: DVD_:51banana:AUDIO 13 speaker Surround DTS DD Satilite Radio Nav :smokinSun roof every option in the book.:mad:@:Bought it November 6th 2009. Did some mods, Cervinnis ram air cold air intake oil catch can steel billet stuff and more to come Headers exaust (BLOWER Kenne Bell Supercharger) and a:yikes Stroker440 motor upgrade down the road. Drives Great and love:wave the Sound system in it

What, No Pictures? Sounds sweet Rob! :D

Can you give us more details on the audio system? DVD-A MLP? DTS CD? DVD-V 5.1 audio?

Back